Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing Biology, Chemistry, English and/or Philosophy and Ethics. Would this be okay? I can't stand maths and although I'm not bad at it, I'm not amazing either. Would not taking it put me at a disadvantage? What combinations of A levels did you choose and what uni are you at now? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Your choices are fine. Maths is the most common third choice, but there is not a single med school that requires, or even states a preference for, maths.

The only med school you won't be eligible for is Cambridge, who require 3 sciences or two sciences and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    I'm considering doing Biology, Chemistry, English and/or Philosophy and Ethics. Would this be okay? I can't stand maths and although I'm not bad at it, I'm not amazing either. Would not taking it put me at a disadvantage? What combinations of A levels did you choose and what uni are you at now? Thank you
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology at A2. Both biology and chemistry have some maths in. For biology there's statistical tests and ratios and some other more basic maths. Chemistry involves loads of equations, so as long as you're okay with remembering and rearranging equations then it's fine. You wouldn't be at a disadvantage by not doing maths at all.
    I enjoy both, but chemistry is definitely difficult so be prepared to put in the effort.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, most Unis want either 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths....however I guess it's whatever you feel you're comfortable doing. Do look at what uni courses would be looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    I'm in year 12 and I'm taking biology, chemistry, German and Latin. That sounds like an interesting combination.l I'd suggest doing whatever you enjoy the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naina_T)
    From what I've seen, most Unis want either 3 sciences or 2 sciences and maths....however I guess it's whatever you feel you're comfortable doing. Do look at what uni courses would be looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For medicine, Cambridge is the ONLY university that requires 3 sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current medical student and I did Biology, Chemistry and English Language for my A Levels. Just do what you enjoy and what you're most likely to get the required grades in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.