Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just a general question and I know they're postgrad/master loans now but I would love to get some responses.

I'm really keen to apply for a Masters at BCU, the course is 8,900, which would leave me 1,100 left over for a year if i took the max loan. The course is pretty intense, 9-5 working days in a studio with placements ect (one of the things that attracted me to, very industry based) so I could get a part-time job in the evening/weekends but I doubt this would even be sufficient enough to cover rent.

Living at home isn't an option, as my parents are crap.
    I've looked into other options of post-grad funding, but unfortunately, as I only hold a 2.1, no scholarships are really available to me at the University - and many charities don't offer support for Humanities subjects. I'm going into the Uni itself next fortnight to discuss my options, but I don't want to be directed to some private loan company as I'd rather not get into anything like that.

How are you all funding your masters? Would love to hear some examples

ReputationRep:
    Basically, there's no magic solution. Before the new Postgrad Loan, people generally either had gifts/loans from generous relatives, or more often, took time out of learning, worked and saved up. There was the Professional & Career Development Loan, but Barclays pulled out and only the Co-op Bank now offer it. It always used to be the case that it wouldn't be given for uni courses which had other forms of funding, so I don't know how it works with the PG Loan. Might be worth looking into, if it's still going. It's more debt - and an unsympathetic commercial-style bank loan at that - but at least it isn't some cowboy outfit with extortionate Wonga-level interest rates.

I saved up and I suspect that will be your route from what you've said. The good news is that it will take you a fraction of the time to save the balance you need over £10,000 PG loan. It may still be a few years off though, especially as it sounds like you can't save money by living at home.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get funding (have you looked at the AHRC?) then the options are:

1. Take a year or two out to save up.
    2. Study part-time and work full-time or part-time.
    3. Study full-time and work part-time.
    4. Apply for the CDL - I don't recommend this.

Birmingham is a fairly cheap place for student accommodation and living costs, but as your course has high contact hours I would recommend option two. The problem with the first option is that, unless you can find an interesting job, it will be a psychological battle to work for an extended period of time with the sole aim of saving money. Option two allows you to focus both on your work and earning money.

ReputationRep:
    A scholarship

ReputationRep:
    Oh dearum, dearum - a bit of sticky situation you're in there. Looks like you'll have to put the Masters on hold for a few years and save up, assuming you can find a job, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Oh dearum, dearum - a bit of sticky situation you're in there. Looks like you'll have to put the Masters on hold for a few years and save up, assuming you can find a job, of course.
    I can find work, just not in sector I want. This was a way of helping bridge the gap.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I assumed this may be case. It might be okay if I start saving from now. It's just I haven't really had an concrete savings because I've only just finishing paying off my undergrad debts such as overdraft and credit card. I hate 18 year old me for spending so much money!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.