Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering what people are doing after uni.

I graduated psychology and have spent 5 months doing admin temp work. I feel humiliated, but I don't know what I want to do for a permanent job. The jobs I've applied for either don't put me forward or I fail the online tests or assessment centres, I feel like there is no hope for someone average at maths and shy at group assessments.

I'm thinking SEO or social research but I'm finding it hard looking for graduate programmes for the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenbb30)

I graduated psychology and have spent 5 months doing admin temp work. I feel humiliated, but I don't know what I want to do for a permanent job. The jobs I've applied for either don't put me forward or I fail the online tests or assessment centres, I feel like there is no hope for someone average at maths and shy at group assessments.

I'm thinking SEO or social research but I'm finding it hard looking for graduate programmes for the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am, well I was in the same situation as you. I did temporary administration work after graduation but I have a permanent job elsewhere. You can't really complain about your 'humiliation' though because a lot of people are in a much worse situation that we are in right now.
    You say you are shy at group assessments. Well unfortunately in the world of work you need to be communicative as you are expected to work in a team.
    Does your current job involve customer service - are you constantly on the phones talking to customers? I am asking because most of my jobs in administration involved exactly that.
    If not you may need to a job where there is a lot of people interaction because that is what employers are looking for. They don't someone who hides in a corner isolating themselves in group assessment and thats why they do assessment centres in groups just to examine how you behave in groups.
    I suggest you volunteer as in my opinion and saying from experience, you will learn to be a lot more confident and less shy as it would involve speaking to a wide range of people.
    Or otherwise do something else to overcome your shyness.

ReputationRep:
    If you're failing the online tests or assessment centres and they're for positions you would like, then your choice is to either get better or don't get the job.

I hope that sounds really obvious. If you're never getting interviews and you're submitting a CV with cover letter or applications, then these aren't good enough and you need to work out why and improve them. You're getting to the assessment centres so your applications are working. Why aren't you getting past these assessment centres? What are the online tests covering? Are they basic brainbench / aptitude tests? You can practice these easily online.

If you're interested in academia you could continue your studies, though these can be as competitive as graduate schemes / jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Which jobs have you applied for so far?

I graduated in Psychology (and then an MSc in Sport & Exercise Psychology) and then went on to become a Social Researcher in the Civil Service, so if you're interested in social research that's worth looking into.

The Civil Service FS does have assessment centres and some online tests, so it may be one you've already looked at. Have you got any feedback on where it is you've been going wrong with these tests? A lot of websites have practice online tests, and guides to assessment centres. What kind of things have you been asked to do in the assessment centres?

I have social anxiety so detest group assessments, but it it possible to pass them, honestly! Remember in those types of tasks that you don't have to have the intended outcome necessarily - you can't control the way other group members think/behave, the important thing is to show how you work within the group: so things like listening to other group members' views, showing that you agree or disagree respectfully, compromising to come to a decision that will benefit all group members, things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Social skills are one of the most vital qualities one must possess in order to have a decent shot at a job. Shyness just doesn't cut it any more, no matter how intelligent you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenbb30)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to work out what you want to do. Employers can smell lack of enthusiasm and 'I can't be asked' a mile away, which is probably why they don't put you forward.

If the tests require maths or group assessment and you're not good at it, you have fix it by going on a course/training to help you get better at doing these tests. If you apply for any graduate jobs, you'll have to pass a load of assessments stages before you even get an interview.

BTW I'm still at uni and I'm in a job doing work related to my course.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of graduates don't get onto the graduate schemes (if they did, they wouldn't be so competitive!) but instead go for entry level jobs (for research probably requiring a degree, so a graduate job but not a 'grad scheme') and work their way up. Broaden your search; don't immediately write off those that aren't graduate jobs (would also help with the issue with tests etc)

ReputationRep:
    work all year to save then i'm moving to London to start my post grad diploma is my plan =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.