Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get to sleep with an ear infection? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am currently with an ear infection and it feels like absolute ****. I have been taking cocodomol which works but only for so long. I try to hold out until around midnight before I take my last two pills for the day so that I can get to sleep. However I usually cannot get to sleep and end up staying up until 7am due to the pain and discomfort. Do you have any advice on how I can get some sleep? I reckon I have got about 5 hours in 2 days, and now I feel terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your GP? If the pain is really that bad you could ask for a stronger painkiller or a sleep aid.

You shouldn't take co-codamol for longer than I think three days without speaking to a doctor regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Have you spoken to your GP? If the pain is really that bad you could ask for a stronger painkiller or a sleep aid.

You shouldn't take co-codamol for longer than I think three days without speaking to a doctor regardless.
    They were prescribed by the GP. I am also on anti-biotics. What is a stronger painkiller? And how long can some of the stronger ones last?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eagleclawsan)
    They were prescribed by the GP. I am also on anti-biotics. What is a stronger painkiller? And how long can some of the stronger ones last?
    You could ask your GP to prescribe you a stronger dose of antibiotic e.g. the penicillin group of antibiotics amoxicillin 1500mg. Also you could ask for a prescription of the NSAIDS Naproxen (controlled drug) to help with the pain. However, there are side effects such as headache, nausea and vomiting. Does the ear feel congested/ear wax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    You could ask your GP to prescribe you a stronger dose of antibiotic e.g. the penicillin group of antibiotics amoxicillin 1500mg. Also you could ask for a prescription of the NSAIDS Naproxen (controlled drug) to help with the pain. However, there are side effects such as headache, nausea and vomiting. Does the ear feel congested/ear wax?
    Yeah there is definitely a lot of earwax in there. Are those side effects common or just a possibility. I'm allergic to penicillin I am going to see my GP again tomorrow and ask him for something stronger.

The antibiotics I am currently on Erythromycin. They don't seem to be working.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there is definitely a lot of earwax in there. Are those side effects common or just a possibility. I'm allergic to penicillin I am going to see my GP again tomorrow and ask him for something stronger.

The antibiotics I am currently on Erythromycin. They don't seem to be working.
    For the time being, do not use cotton buds/ put water based objects in your ears, as this can damage the ear canal. I think you might be suffering from the bacteria haemophilus influenza based on your symptoms. Ask your GP for a microbiology investigation. If you are coughing as well, your sputum sample can be sent to the lab to find the specific bacteria causing your infections. In order to tailor your treatment appropriately.

Ask your GP for the macrolide antibiotics clarithromycin then, because it is effective for ear infections. Also ask for a stronger dose. For pain, ask for the NSAID Naproxen as initially recommended.

Also, ask your GP to look through your ear using his/her Otoscope. Based on what he/she sees, your GP might book youwith an appointment with a nurse for ear wax removal.

The side effects are a possibility, every drugs has side effects, but not everyone will have them. It is just a likelihood.

Are you on 1500mg Erythromycin? Because the dose/strength makes a difference in its effectiveness.

ReputationRep:
    For the time being, do not use cotton buds/ put water based objects in your ears, as this can damage the ear canal. I think you might be suffering from the bacteria haemophilus influenza based on your symptoms. Ask your GP for a microbiology investigation. If you are coughing as well, your sputum sample can be sent to the lab to find the specific bacteria causing your infections. In order to tailor your treatment appropriately.

Ask your GP for the macrolide antibiotics clarithromycin then, because it is effective for ear infections. Also ask for a stronger dose. For pain, ask for the NSAID Naproxen as initially recommended.

Also, ask your GP to look through your ear using his/her Otoscope. Based on what he/she sees, your GP might book youwith an appointment with a nurse for ear wax removal.

The side effects are a possibility, every drugs has side effects, but not everyone will have them. It is just a likelihood.

Are you on 1500mg Erythromycin? Because the dose/strength makes a difference in its effectiveness.
    Pain got too much so I went to A&E and got seen almost immediately. She upped my dosage of the antibiotic. She also told me to start using ibuprofen on top of the cocodomol. She noticed that all of the wax in that ear is gone but there is a lot of discharge.

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna suggest ibuprofen too. Used to get horrible ear infections all the time, I know what it's like (thankfully not so much any more, but still have to get surgery). Get better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    I was gonna suggest ibuprofen too. Used to get horrible ear infections all the time, I know what it's like (thankfully not so much any more, but still have to get surgery). Get better soon!
    Yeah they're bloody awful. Hope this never happens again. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Pain got too much so I went to A&E and got seen almost immediately. She upped my dosage of the antibiotic. She also told me to start using ibuprofen on top of the cocodomol. She noticed that all of the wax in that ear is gone but there is a lot of discharge.
    That's good to hear. Yes, that was a good idea, to up the dosage. That way, both would work efficiently. The discharge will clear up with the antibiotics, the discharge is just your immune system fighting off the infection. Do you still feel pain in your ears?

ReputationRep:
    Put something warm on your ear it works for me

ReputationRep:
    That's good to hear. Yes, that was a good idea, to up the dosage. That way, both would work efficiently. The discharge will clear up with the antibiotics, the discharge is just your immune system fighting off the infection. Do you still feel pain in your ears?
    Yeah still feel pain in my ear but I've only taken one of the new dosage so far. Got another to take tonight and hopefully it will do it's work during the night. Thanks for all of your help

The pain keeps changing it's mind tbh. One minute it is "I will give you a break man " and the next minute it is like "**** you I'm going to make your life hell".

Just hoping this will finally work and I can go back to work ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemGeek16)
    Put something warm on your ear it works for me
    Yeah I do that when it gets really bad. It works for about a minute and then doesn't have much effect. I've started putting boiling water in a flask and holding that against my ear.

ReputationRep:
    Earaches are the worst, hope you get better real soon

ReputationRep:
    Yeah still feel pain in my ear but I've only taken one of the new dosage so far. Got another to take tonight and hopefully it will do it's work during the night. Thanks for all of your help

The pain keeps changing it's mind tbh. One minute it is "I will give you a break man " and the next minute it is like "**** you I'm going to make your life hell".

Just hoping this will finally work and I can go back to work ASAP.
    It will subside after the second dose. You're welcome . Don't worry, it will get better. Get well soon!

ReputationRep:
    It will subside after the second dose. You're welcome . Don't worry, it will get better. Get well soon!
    Quick update. Seems like it is gradually starting to improve in terms of pain, thank god. Hopefully it continues to do so. Likely the dosage increase is responsible for this.

ReputationRep:
    Quick update. Seems like it is gradually starting to improve in terms of pain, thank god. Hopefully it continues to do so. Likely the dosage increase is responsible for this.
    That's good news! Hopefully, now you can get back to work as you wanted :h:

ReputationRep:
    That's good news! Hopefully, now you can get back to work as you wanted :h:
    Hi again. I'm assuming you have had experience of this. What are my options if the infection doesn't respond to antibiotics?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again. I'm assuming you have had experience of this. What are my options if the infection doesn't respond to antibiotics?
    Haha, yes I have. I do thin that the antibiotic would respond to it actually. In most cases as was in my case, it did take a long while to clear up though. You just have to have patience that it would do it's job. I would recommend you ask your GP to prescribe ear drops antibiotics rather than oral antibiotics.

Also, just a heads up, I had itching in my ears as well, so I normally put a drop of olive oil in a cotton bud and rotate it around my ears. It seemed to help with the itching, that can be a solution if you experience itching in your ears.

Hope I helped.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.