Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 13 years old and will be taking my grade 7 piano exam this Spring term, I've just done guitar grade 5 and preparing to take my theory grade 6 soon too. Can I skip my GCSE Music and do A Level music straight away? What is the earliest age could I sit for the exam ? Anyone have any advice?
    Many thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I've moved this to the Creative and Performing Arts subforum as you may get more replies here. Good luck with your piano and theory exams! What pieces have you chosen?

There is no requirement to do GCSE music prior to A-level music (and you may find that your aural and theory skills have been met already) nor is there a minimum age for the A-level. The trouble you will have is studying the A-level unless your school is willing to accommodate you.
    It's a difficult A-level to self teach because of the coursework components. Private centers may not be able to offer the A-level because of the lack of facilities and teachers with the relevant expertise.

If you do manage to successfully organise teaching, I'd still recommend at least getting a GCSE Music summary book so that you can brush up on the gaps in knowledge that you may have.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a late reply but I thought I should add my input:

I'm currently in year 11 with grade 8 violin and grade 6 theory, doing GCSE music. GCSE Music is actually much harder than it seems, mostly because what I write is too complicated or not in the mark scheme etc... so I would recommend doing it because it will get you used to the basics of how those kinds of exams work.

Then again, that's really mostly exam technique which you will learn at A level. I agree with Kvothe that you might want to get a summary book for GCSE to learn some of the things you might not know. It might not be possible to do it at school because there's more teaching hours which can be hard to timetable, but if they do let you or if you can find a centre to do it at, then I don't see any other reasons why you shouldn't!

Good luck with whatever you choose x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.