The Student Room Group

Jerusalem 'lorry attack' injures 15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
You're forgetting this little thing called "the Arab Israeli conflict" a brief overview of which is:

The Arabs control the whole middle east, then the Jews come along and are given some land, but the Arabs hate the Jews so try to take this land by force. They get their arises handed to them and the Jews are able to take some more land as their spoils of war. The Arabs try this a few times over and the same thing happens over and over. Most of the Arabs finally realise they're **** and can't beat Israel so resign themselves to the fact Israel exists. The end.

Wait, sorry, not the end, because you have the paramilitary cells left that seem to think they can somehow force Israel out despite being ***** slapped every few years when they finally get the resources to effectively throw a few rocks and just end up screwing over the people they're allegedly fighting for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't that something the right would sympathise with? Given the paranoia of immigrants coming over, and statements like "I want my country back!".

I find interesting they find that okay to happen elsewhere, but are worried about it happening to them (even though it won't).
Reply 61
You're forgetting this little thing called "the Arab Israeli conflict" a brief overview of which is:

The Arabs control the whole middle east, then the Jews come along and are given some land, but the Arabs hate the Jews so try to take this land by force. They get their arises handed to them and the Jews are able to take some more land as their spoils of war. The Arabs try this a few times over and the same thing happens over and over. Most of the Arabs finally realise they're **** and can't beat Israel so resign themselves to the fact Israel exists. The end.

Wait, sorry, not the end, because you have the paramilitary cells left that seem to think they can somehow force Israel out despite being ***** slapped every few years when they finally get the resources to effectively throw a few rocks and just end up screwing over the people they're allegedly fighting for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been forbidden from repping you anymore, apparently I do it too often, but +1.

Original post by Lord Samosa
isn't that something the right would sympathise with? Given the paranoia of immigrants coming over, and statements like "I want my country back!".

I find interesting they find that okay to happen elsewhere, but are worried about it happening to them (even though it won't).

The fact that you're taking one policy position (banning immigration) held by a fringe minority and blanket applying it to "the right" really betrays your ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool story. I'll be here if you ever actually want to discuss serious and nuanced points rather than just churn out pathetically simplistic caricatures.
Original post by jape
As clever as this statement is, it's essentially meaningless. Forget the words, think about actions and intentions.

Did these Palestinians deliberately target people they knew were not an immediate threat to them, content with the pain and suffering this would cause? Yes.

Do you really think this is an effective method of determining legitimacy the of violent acts in conflict? By this logic, we'd have to conclude that it is wrong for air forces to target the opposing side's ground troops unless the latter possess anti-aircraft weaponry, as otherwise they pose no immediate threat to the air forces in question.
Reply 64
Original post by anarchism101
Cool story. I'll be here if you ever actually want to discuss serious and nuanced points rather than just churn out pathetically simplistic caricatures.

It's simplified, sure, but what about it is actually wrong?
Original post by jape
I've been forbidden from repping you anymore, apparently I do it too often, but +1.

The fact that you're taking one policy position (banning immigration) held by a fringe minority and blanket applying it to "the right" really betrays your ignorance.

Isn't that what a lot of people do what they go on their anti left wing rants :lol:

It's easy to get arounf: the Jewish claim is thousands of years old, it is their ancestral homeland and they had just faced another genocide attempt, the Israelites are known to have inhabited the Land of Canaan since the second millenium BCE, the Arabs are a mostly common era event, particularly in modern Israel. The Jews aren't the invaders, the Arabs are. Not to mention that the Israelis are much bigger fans of liberal democracy
Reply 67
Isn't that what a lot of people do what they go on their anti left wing rants :lol:

I can't think of a time I've done it, but I have seen other people do it. It's daft whoever is doing it, either way.
Original post by jape
It's simplified, sure, but what about it is actually wrong?

It's not so much that it's wrong, rather it's not even wrong. It's simplified to the point where it fails to meet the criteria by which right and wrong can reasonably be judged.
It's easy to get arounf: the Jewish claim is thousands of years old, it is their ancestral homeland and they had just faced another genocide attempt, the Israelites are known to have inhabited the Land of Canaan since the second millenium BCE, the Arabs are a mostly common era event, particularly in modern Israel. The Jews aren't the invaders, the Arabs are. Not to mention that the Israelis are much bigger fans of liberal democracy

Would you therefore agree with giving back land to native Americans and natives of places like Australia etc?

Just trying to find some consistency.
Original post by jape
I can't think of a time I've done it, but I have seen other people do it. It's daft whoever is doing it, either way.

Agreed.

Although those types tend to be the worst to discuss things with. They just see someone left wing and MUST be aggressive and argue against them. (Vice versa with left wingers with that attitude)
Reply 71
Would you therefore agree with giving back land to native Americans and natives of places like Australia etc?

I think the difference is that there are next-to-no Native Americans left, and relatively few Aboriginal Australians. Tel Aviv and Jerusalem aren't exactly lacking for Jews.

It's ridiculous that we should even be in a position to be having this conversation anyway, the idea of segregating borders religiously is abhorrent everywhere else on earth. But the reason we are discussing this isn't the Israelis. There are Arabs in Israel, let's not forget, and the country had an Arab President at one point. Israel is a pluralistic society (Tel Aviv especially is very metropolitan), whereas there are remarkably few Jews in Gaza, the West Bank, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq... etc etc.
Reply 72
Agreed.

Although those types tend to be the worst to discuss things with. They just see someone left wing and MUST be aggressive and argue against them. (Vice versa with left wingers with that attitude)

I can be aggressive, but that's just because I really enjoy the argument and the debate. I think people conflate that with "everyone who disagrees with me even slightly is automatically a bad person" sometimes.
Reply 73
Original post by anarchism101
Do you really think this is an effective method of determining legitimacy the of violent acts in conflict? By this logic, we'd have to conclude that it is wrong for air forces to target the opposing side's ground troops unless the latter possess anti-aircraft weaponry, as otherwise they pose no immediate threat to the air forces in question.

Presumably the troops do pose an immediate threat to the aircraft's colleagues on the ground, else it would be shaky legal ground to attack them in the first place. All the British air stuff over ISIS is aimed at strategic targets like oil derricks, rather than people. Last time I checked (admittedly, months and months ago) there have been no reported civilian casualties as a result of British air stuff in the region.

Air stuff being the technical term.
Original post by jape
There are Arabs in Israel, let's not forget, and the country had an Arab President at one point. Israel is a pluralistic society (Tel Aviv especially is very metropolitan), whereas there are remarkably few Jews in Gaza, the West Bank, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq... etc etc.

1. Yes, Arab Israelis who are treated like second class citizens and whom the current PM himself effectively incites hatred of ("voting in their droves" ) . The vast majority of these Arabs in Israel identify as Palestinian, and not (Arab-)Israeli.

2. There are around 10,000-40,000 Jews in Iran (estimates vary), a Jewish MP, Chief Rabbi, and dozens of synagogues (in Tehran alone).

3. Who was this Arab President of Israel you speak of?
Original post by jape
I think the difference is that there are next-to-no Native Americans left, and relatively few Aboriginal Australians. Tel Aviv and Jerusalem aren't exactly lacking for Jews.

It's ridiculous that we should even be in a position to be having this conversation anyway, the idea of segregating borders religiously is abhorrent everywhere else on earth. But the reason we are discussing this isn't the Israelis. There are Arabs in Israel, let's not forget, and the country had an Arab President at one point. Israel is a pluralistic society (Tel Aviv especially is very metropolitan), whereas there are remarkably few Jews in Gaza, the West Bank, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq... etc etc.

I agree that segregating people based on religion is ridiculous. But it's just a situation where we know creating one unified country is not possible. (Or at least doesn't seem like it) There are Palestinians who are adamant on having their own country, and likewise zionists who are adamant that the land is rightfully theirs and only theirs.

Illegal settlements from certain Israelis and Hamas I feel are the biggest obstacles in achieving a peaceful solution.

Original post by jape
I can be aggressive, but that's just because I really enjoy the argument and the debate. I think people conflate that with "everyone who disagrees with me even slightly is automatically a bad person" sometimes.

It's all fine to be passionate about something and having your own view. You are expected to argue for it.

However I find also considering the opposing point of view is good. It helps open your eyes to a different way of looking at something and gives you food for thought. I have always tried to understand the right wing view on things to help give me a more balanced way of looking at things.

Here you get a few distinct differences, the main thing in terms of arguing from the ethical side is that with those groups we now get either mutual coexistence and integration (mainly of the native into the invader) or autonomy for the natives, with the likes of the Indian reserves in the states, and I'm pretty sure there are similar structures for aborigines and native African tribes. Obviously you also have the far less PC and easy to make argument of Jews and the white settlers be in charge is consistent due to the elevation above the savages, the more advanced and developed have the power in both cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Palmyra
1. Yes, Arab Israelis who are treated like second class citizens and whom the current PM himself effectively incites hatred of ("voting in their droves" ) . The vast majority of these Arabs in Israel identify as Palestinian, and not (Arab-)Israeli.

2. There are around 10,000-40,000 Jews in Iran (estimates vary), a Jewish MP, Chief Rabbi, and dozens of synagogues (in Tehran alone).

3. Who was this Arab President of Israel you speak of?

He's thinking of Majalli Wahabi, but he's not an Arab, he's Druze.
Original post by Mr Moon Man
He's thinking of Majalli Wahabi, but he's not an Arab, he's Druze.

Indeed, and please remind me how long Mr Wahabi was President for?
Original post by jape

Bit one can easily look at it as cultural rather than religious borders, which are actually good things. One of the biggest errors made by western Europe has been the establishment of geographical over cultural borders. In the grand scheme of things Western Europe is all culturally similar enough the most obvious borders are geographical, you know you're crossing it if it's a river, not so much if it's the middle of a field. The problems then come about when you go to the places where there is major cultural difference and do the same thing. We didn't help Eastern Europe in the early 19th century because we went for geography over culture, and the same is true with parts of hacking up the old empires.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending