Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had a migraine for 12 hours and haven't slept Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone whisper softly in my ear and soothe me

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but feel you're an attention seeker.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

*Whispers softly* Hail Hydra *

ReputationRep:
    Take painkillers?

(Original post by RobML)
    Twelve hours is just the beginning of a migraine. They can last anywhere upto two weeks.
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Twelve hours is just the beginning of a migraine. They can last anywhere upto two weeks.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I can't help but feel you're an attention seeker.
    Mmm I love you faceless anons
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by RobML)
    What sort of migraine is it? Common ir with aura? Many people manage to stay awake with sleeping for 12+ hours, so not sure its that unusual.

Looking at a screen isnt going to help. Get off TSR. Maybe go to bed, close the curtains, take your medication and rest?You are doinga good job of an attention seeking man child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You are doinga good job of an attention seeking man child.
    long hair don't care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Take painkillers?
    Depends what painkillers. You should almost never take paracetemol for a migraine. For one thing, it's not strong enough. For another, if you keep taking it, it can make your migraine worse. Ibupurofen can help sometimes, though it's not usually strong enough for a really bad migraine, and you also don't want to keep taking that.

Painkillers also don't do much to deal with symptoms specific to migraines, as migraines aren't just simple headaches. Your nervous system is actually just going crazy, and dulling some of those signals isn't going to stop all of the symptoms. Usually, painkillers only dull the pain, and they might not necessarily even do that very well.

So unfortunately, painkillers aren't really the best solution for migraines.

I've got a prescription of Zolmitriptan that helps sometimes, but you have to take it as soon as you start feeling a migraine coming on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Depends what painkillers. You should almost never take paracetemol for a migraine. For one thing, it's not strong enough. For another, if you keep taking it, it can make your migraine worse. Ibupurofen can help sometimes, though it's not usually strong enough for a really bad migraine, and you also don't want to keep taking that.

Painkillers also don't do much to deal with symptoms specific to migraines, as migraines aren't just simple headaches. Your nervous system is actually just going crazy, and dulling some of those signals isn't going to stop all of the symptoms. Usually, painkillers only dull the pain, and they might not necessarily even do that very well.

I've got a prescription of Zolmitriptan that helps sometimes, but you have to take it as soon as you start feeling a migraine coming on.
    I used to have migraines with severe aura (basically went blind) but fortunately this isn't one of those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Migrain...Treatment.aspx
    I looked at the NHS page tbf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.