Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I recently got an invitation for an assessment center for the Area Manager position with Aldi, UK.
    Could not find any dedicated thread about this position, so here it is!

Any tips / tricks / recommendation about the assessment center?
    How was your experience?
    How should I prepare?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    ONLINE APPLICATION

All max 3500 characters

Please provide full details of your degree. Failure to provide this information may mean that your application cannot be progressed further.

• Success is not always illustrated through academic results. Please demonstrate your achievements outside of academic study below.
    • The Aldi Area Manager position requires real dedication. Please demonstrate below when you have displayed impressive levels of dedication.
    • A leader behaves in a positive and co-operative manner, encouraging their employees to use their initiative and intelligence. Please explain below why you believe that you have effective leadership skills.
    • What is your personal experience of Aldi? Please outline your initial impression/observation.
    • What do you know about Aldi’s business model? Please ensure that you cover:
    1. Your understanding of how we operate.
    2. What you know about our market presence.
    3. What you know about our current trading performance.
    • Why do you want to be an Area Manager for Aldi? Please ensure that you cover:
    1. What appeals to you about working for Aldi.
    2. What interests you about the role.
    3. What you believe you would bring to the role.
    • Please provide an example of where you have experienced a significant setback which really tested your resilience. Please ensure that you cover
    1. What the situation was
    2. How this made you feel
    3. How you overcame this
    4. What the outcome was

VIDEO INTERVIEW
    I hated this part, but they ask for it, can't get away from doing it. Anyway I recorded the interview and looking back at it, these are the questions that came up for me. Most likely you will receive similar, but not necessarily the same, questions.
    There's good video on the Aldi Area Manager career website that shows how to set up your camera properly.
    A question is shown, followed by 30 seconds without recording for you to think about it. Goes without saying, if you didn't prepare, you are screwed. I had to answer 9 questions.
    1. Before we start, please could you confirm your name and location? 30 seconds to answer.
    2. Please could you briefly introduce yourself? We are interested to hear where you live, where and what you studied and what you are doing now. 90 seconds to answer.
    3. Please tell us why are you interested in working for Aldi? 60 seconds to answer.
    4. What is an interesting thing that you have found about whilst researching for the company? This could be drawn from your research or from your experience while visiting an Aldi store. 60 seconds to answer.
    5. What do you think you would be doing during the short, medium and long term of the Area Manager Training Program? 90 seconds to answer.
    6. Why do you think you will be suited to this role? 60 seconds to answer.
    7. Can you recall a specific situation where your drive and motivation helped you achieve an ambitious outcome? Please ensure that you cover the specific situation, how you motivated yourself, the outcome. 90 seconds to answer.
    8. The answer to this and the next question should centre on a single example. Can you please provide us with an example of a high standard you have set for yourself and achieved? Please cover what the standard was, why you decided to set this standard. 90 seconds to answer
    9. What steps did you take to ensure that his high standard was achieved? 60 seconds to answer.

Again, before each question you have 30 sec to prepare. Now, MAKE SURE TO LINK EVERY QUESTION TO ALDI. The company honestly doesn't care if your good uni has an awesome campus, tell them what links the choice you made for uni with the Aldi position.
    Practice on being able to talk very concisely. The time to answer each question is extremely limited, show Aldi you are efficient.

ReputationRep:
    ASSESSMENT CENTER [ayoayo123]

Basic things apply such as smiling, eye contact, no phones etc especially as the atmosphere is very professional throughout.

I was in a group with 4 people but I heard that earlier that day there was a group with 11 people so it varies. We were called in by a HR lady who gave a brief intro to the day and asked us to introduce ourselves shortly and tell what our favorite Aldi product was. After this, we were given a sheet of paper and I believe 10 minutes (not 100% certain with time in memory) to give a three minute speech on our Aldi store visit. They wanted to know which store we visited, what time and why. They asked if we spoke to any members of staff and I hadn't but it seemed as if this was something they would wanted us to do. As part of this speech, we were each given a topic. I think the topics included their Special Buys, the store layout, product range, staff and till systems. There could be more, but I would recommend making notes on what you saw in each of these areas to prepare. After this we were asked questions about our topic and why we thought things were that way etc.

After this we were given a group discussion task. We were given a number of CV's (I think about 8) and were given a brief for a role in taking on a specific project for Aldi. We had 10 minutes to individually decide who we thought was a good candidate. We were then invited to voice our opinions on the best candidate and discuss it. What was vital here (and why I think I made the final interview) is to frequently open the conversation or questions to others, especially those not as involved in the discussion, consider everyone's opinion even if you disagree. That being said offer your own opinions and when need be, press the group for a decision to show you can make them! After our decision, the assessor was very strong in her critique of our decision. Each CV has reasons as to why you would and why you would not hire them. The assessor challenged us and raised other candidates. At this point we were being tested on how we respond to pressure. Again I would recommend that listening to the assessors points and explaining that you can overcome them and why your selection was the best. They challenge you to see if you will stand your ground. There is not a correct answer and provided you have come to your decision as a team it is defendable.

After this which probably took up half of the assessment, we were given a sheet where we would assess our own performance and those in the group around us. Who we thought was strongest (in order), who was in charge of time management, who lead the discussion, who was most effective etc.

After this we were invited to ask questions, I would avoid answering questions on the website as for the most part these were well published. We were recommended to really know our stuff about Aldi, about the business model and how it is run. One week later I was invited to the final interview.

FINAL INTERVIEW [ayoayo123]

One on one interview was with the regional MD. The process lasted an hour which was less then I had read online. I believe they have streamlined the interview process this year, however maybe this was short because I was eventually not selected!

The interview was initially based upon founding out about me as a person. They wanted to know about my background, my family, my interests. In my case, they didn't pry too much into my personal life and only seemed interested in information I was fairly happy to share, however I have heard from others they do sometimes ask uncomfortable questions (relationships, questions targeted at what sort of income level you have come from without specifically asking it). This took up a good portion of the interview, I'd say 15 minutes of finding out. I was asked why I had picked my university, why that course, why the city. I was then asked about Aldi. Why I had applied there, why that region, what did Aldi offer that appealed to me. They asked a few questions about Aldi, about its decision to not use trade unions, and what benefits Aldi being privately owned had. Towards the end, competency questions were asked which were fairly standard and basic and I was asked who else I had applied for and why. They will challenge you on this, they obviously aren't naive enough to think you have only applied for Aldi but they want to see where your interests lie. The interview ended with a question session as well so i would recommend having 3 to 4 questions for the interviewer. 2 days afterwards I was told I had not been successful.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

It could be a good idea to add graduate scheme to the title of this thread so more people will see it. I've got through to video interview stage, if anyone has any advice I'd be grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumham121)
    Hey

It could be a good idea to add graduate scheme to the title of this thread so more people will see it. I've got through to video interview stage, if anyone has any advice I'd be grateful!
    I actually have no idea how to change the title of the thread.. oh well.
    I have added lots of info about the video interview. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Still looking for feedback regarding the assessment centre
    Be glad if someone would highlight his/her experience with it, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Had an AC and final interview in the last two months. Quote me and I'll reply when I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayoayo123)
    Had an AC and final interview in the last two months. Quote me and I'll reply when I can
    more than interested in hearing back from you. thank you for your message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharedKnowledge)
    I actually have no idea how to change the title of the thread.. oh well.
    I have added lots of info about the video interview. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Still looking for feedback regarding the assessment centre
    Be glad if someone would highlight his/her experience with it, thank you
    Sorry I didn't see that. Thanks for doing such an informative post on the questions, hopefully they are similar.

Will update you if I get to the assessment centre, but good luck if you have yours before me.

ReputationRep:
    more than interested in hearing back from you. thank you for your message.
    Had AC in November and final interview in December. After final interview I did not get a job offer.

Basic things apply such as smiling, eye contact, no phones etc especially as the atmosphere is very professional throughout.

I was in a group with 4 people but I heard that earlier that day there was a group with 11 people so it varies. We were called in by a HR lady who gave a brief intro to the day and asked us to introduce ourselves shortly and tell what our favorite Aldi product was. After this, we were given a sheet of paper and I believe 10 minutes (not 100% certain with time in memory) to give a three minute speech on our Aldi store visit. They wanted to know which store we visited, what time and why. They asked if we spoke to any members of staff and I hadn't but it seemed as if this was something they would wanted us to do. As part of this speech, we were each given a topic. I think the topics included their Special Buys, the store layout, product range, staff and till systems. There could be more, but I would recommend making notes on what you saw in each of these areas to prepare. After this we were asked questions about our topic and why we thought things were that way etc.

After this we were given a group discussion task. We were given a number of CV's (I think about 8) and were given a brief for a role in taking on a specific project for Aldi. We had 10 minutes to individually decide who we thought was a good candidate. We were then invited to voice our opinions on the best candidate and discuss it. What was vital here (and why I think I made the final interview) is to frequently open the conversation or questions to others, especially those not as involved in the discussion, consider everyones opinion even if you disagree. That being said offer your own opinions and when need be, press the group for a decision to show you can make them! After our decision, the assessor was very strong in her critique of our decision. Each CV has reasons as to why you would and why you would not hire them. The assessor challenged us and raised other candidates. At this point we were being tested on how we respond to pressure. Again I would recommend that listening to the assessors points and explaining that you can overcome them and why your selection was the best. They challenge you to see if you will stand your ground. There is not a correct answer and provided you have come to your decision as a team it is defendable.

After this which probably took up half of the assessment, we were given a sheet where we would assess our own performance and those in the group around us. Who we thought was strongest (in order), who was in charge of time management, who lead the discussion, who was most effective etc.

After this we were invited to ask questions, I would avoid answering questions on the website as for the most part these were well publicised. We were recommended to really know our stuff about Aldi, about the business model and how it is run. One week later I was invited to the final interview.

Final Interview

One on one interview was with the regional MD. The process lasted an hour which was less then I had read online. I believe they have streamlined the interview process this year, however maybe this was short because I was eventually not selected!

The interview was initally based upon founding out about me as a person. They wanted to know about my background, my family, my interests. In my case, they didn't pry too much into my personal life and only seemed interested in information I was fairly happy to share, however I have heard from others they do sometimes ask uncomfortable questions (relationships, questions targeted at what sort of income level you have come from without specifically asking it). This took up a good portion of the interview, I'd say 15 minutes of finding out. I was asked why I had picked my university, why that course, why the city. I was then asked about Aldi. Why I had applied there, why that region, what did Aldi offer that appealed to me. They asked a few questions about Aldi, about its decision to not use trade unions, and what benefits Aldi being privately owned had. Towards the end, competency questions were asked which were fairly standard and basic and I was asked who else I had applied for and why. They will challenge you on this, they obviously aren't naive enough to think you have only applied for Aldi but they want to see where your interests lie. The interview ended with a question session aswell so i would reccommend having 3 to 4 questions for the interviewer. 2 days afterwards I was told I had not been successful.

My overall thoughts on the process were mixed. Obviously Aldi has a reputation for offering a competitve graduate scheme that is good on your CV and as a marker for your achievements. The package too is unrivaled in its pay and car offer in all similar fields. They have their own way of going about things and they are happy in this with the constant focus on efficiency.

However, first of all despite a final interview and group assessment, they would not offer feedback. They said this is because they had high numbers but the number of applicants making it to final interview stage show this would really not be a big burden at all and is disappointing. Personally, at the same time as my application I was going through interviews with other companies. Aldi because of their reputation and package didn't show any inkling they cared about you or wanted to try and charm you at all. They are fully justified to take this attitude however their impersonal touch seems to be replicated through others I know to have applied and personally turned me off from the application. In my opinion, being the package offered, I did not believe there was a reason to work there for me. They are looking for resilient, strong, leaders essentially. Especially those who are single, happy to travel and work long weeks. At the end of the day, this wasn't for me.

I hope you have success and good luck. I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Had AC in November and final interview in December. After final interview I did not get a job offer.

Spoiler:
    Show

After this we were given a group discussion task. We were given a number of CV's (I think about 8) and were given a brief for a role in taking on a specific project for Aldi. We had 10 minutes to individually decide who we thought was a good candidate. We were then invited to voice our opinions on the best candidate and discuss it. What was vital here (and why I think I made the final interview) is to frequently open the conversation or questions to others, especially those not as involved in the discussion, consider everyones opinion even if you disagree. That being said offer your own opinions and when need be, press the group for a decision to show you can make them! After our decision, the assessor was very strong in her critique of our decision. Each CV has reasons as to why you would and why you would not hire them. The assessor challenged us and raised other candidates. At this point we were being tested on how we respond to pressure. Again I would recommend that listening to the assessors points and explaining that you can overcome them and why your selection was the best. They challenge you to see if you will stand your ground. There is not a correct answer and provided you have come to your decision as a team it is defendable.

After this we were invited to ask questions, I would avoid answering questions on the website as for the most part these were well publicised. We were recommended to really know our stuff about Aldi, about the business model and how it is run. One week later I was invited to the final interview.

Final Interview

The interview was initally based upon founding out about me as a person. They wanted to know about my background, my family, my interests. In my case, they didn't pry too much into my personal life and only seemed interested in information I was fairly happy to share, however I have heard from others they do sometimes ask uncomfortable questions (relationships, questions targeted at what sort of income level you have come from without specifically asking it). This took up a good portion of the interview, I'd say 15 minutes of finding out. I was asked why I had picked my university, why that course, why the city. I was then asked about Aldi. Why I had applied there, why that region, what did Aldi offer that appealed to me. They asked a few questions about Aldi, about its decision to not use trade unions, and what benefits Aldi being privately owned had. Towards the end, competency questions were asked which were fairly standard and basic and I was asked who else I had applied for and why. They will challenge you on this, they obviously aren't naive enough to think you have only applied for Aldi but they want to see where your interests lie. The interview ended with a question session aswell so i would reccommend having 3 to 4 questions for the interviewer. 2 days afterwards I was told I had not been successful.

My overall thoughts on the process were mixed. Obviously Aldi has a reputation for offering a competitve graduate scheme that is good on your CV and as a marker for your achievements. The package too is unrivaled in its pay and car offer in all similar fields. They have their own way of going about things and they are happy in this with the constant focus on efficiency.

However, first of all despite a final interview and group assessment, they would not offer feedback. They said this is because they had high numbers but the number of applicants making it to final interview stage show this would really not be a big burden at all and is disappointing. Personally, at the same time as my application I was going through interviews with other companies. Aldi because of their reputation and package didn't show any inkling they cared about you or wanted to try and charm you at all. They are fully justified to take this attitude however their impersonal touch seems to be replicated through others I know to have applied and personally turned me off from the application. In my opinion, being the package offered, I did not believe there was a reason to work there for me. They are looking for resilient, strong, leaders essentially. Especially those who are single, happy to travel and work long weeks. At the end of the day, this wasn't for me.

I hope you have success and good luck. I hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for the great explanation. The AC seems to be in line with what every other company is asking. The final interview seems very hard to pass, I should worry about that at a later date.

Mind asking what did you study at uni? what sort of career are you looking for now?
    I wonder what sort of career prospects you have after you want to move on from Area Manager. Not just within Aldi, cause it seems quite improbable that you can get a Director position. After a couple of years with Aldi as Area Manager, what sort of positions can be open to you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the great explanation. The AC seems to be in line with what every other company is asking. The final interview seems very hard to pass, I should worry about that at a later date.

Mind asking what did you study at uni? what sort of career are you looking for now?
    I wonder what sort of career prospects you have after you want to move on from Area Manager. Not just within Aldi, cause it seems quite improbable that you can get a Director position. After a couple of years with Aldi as Area Manager, what sort of positions can be open to you?
    Your welcome.
    Yeah, I found the interview difficult, was very nervous and I think that showed.

I studied Business Management. I'm not too sure but I'm mainly looking at management or marketing programmes. A couple of logistical ones too. I get the impression from Aldi that you are on 72k after 4 years but the opportunities for promotion here are fairly limited and becomes more so over time.

I have a few offers, all in management at the moment and will probably take one of these. I think I want to find out what I like and what I am good at the moment so I am working all that out haha.

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome.
    Yeah, I found the interview difficult, was very nervous and I think that showed.

I studied Business Management. I'm not too sure but I'm mainly looking at management or marketing programmes. A couple of logistical ones too. I get the impression from Aldi that you are on 72k after 4 years but the opportunities for promotion here are fairly limited and becomes more so over time.

I have a few offers, all in management at the moment and will probably take one of these. I think I want to find out what I like and what I am good at the moment so I am working all that out haha.
    Glad you have your fair share of Plan B's. Doing engineering here and got an offer from Rolls Royce (turbines, not cars). A fair amount of people that I talk to are shocked that after four years (MEng) of engineering I would go retail. For the first couple of years Aldi does look more interesting, although staying in engineering means that I can get Charted by the IMechE in 3/5 years and gaining 62k+ and have an excellent work/life balance. From there, depending on luck + opportunity, I can go to Senior Management.

Maybe I haven't researched enough for retail / Aldi, but at the moment it doesn't seem as opportunity-rich as engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I had my group assessment on Thursday 23rd February and was advised I passed on Friday 24th February. Can anyone tell me how long it took for you to receive the appointment details for the final interview after being told you had passed the assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny2907)
    I had my group assessment on Thursday 23rd February and was advised I passed on Friday 24th February. Can anyone tell me how long it took for you to receive the appointment details for the final interview after being told you had passed the assessment centre?
    Congrats on getting through to the interview! I have my assessment centre coming up and was wondering if you had any tips? Would be great to know the itinerary of the day, and what to prepare for the presentations in particular as im cluless

ReputationRep:
    VIDEO INTERVIEW
    I hated this part, but they ask for it, can't get away from doing it. Anyway I recorded the interview and looking back at it, these are the questions that came up for me. Most likely you will receive similar, but not necessarily the same, questions.
    There's good video on the Aldi Area Manager career website that shows how to set up your camera properly.
    A question is shown, followed by 30 seconds without recording for you to think about it. Goes without saying, if you didn't prepare, you are screwed. I had to answer 9 questions.
    1. Before we start, please could you confirm your name and location? 30 seconds to answer.
    2. Please could you briefly introduce yourself? We are interested to hear where you live, where and what you studied and what you are doing now. 90 seconds to answer.
    3. Please tell us why are you interested in working for Aldi? 60 seconds to answer.
    4. What is an interesting thing that you have found about whilst researching for the company? This could be drawn from your research or from your experience while visiting an Aldi store. 60 seconds to answer.
    5. What do you think you would be doing during the short, medium and long term of the Area Manager Training Program? 90 seconds to answer.
    6. Why do you think you will be suited to this role? 60 seconds to answer.
    7. Can you recall a specific situation where your drive and motivation helped you achieve an ambitious outcome? Please ensure that you cover the specific situation, how you motivated yourself, the outcome. 90 seconds to answer.
    8. The answer to this and the next question should centre on a single example. Can you please provide us with an example of a high standard you have set for yourself and achieved? Please cover what the standard was, why you decided to set this standard. 90 seconds to answer
    9. What steps did you take to ensure that his high standard was achieved? 60 seconds to answer.

Again, before each question you have 30 sec to prepare. Now, MAKE SURE TO LINK EVERY QUESTION TO ALDI. The company honestly doesn't care if your good uni has an awesome campus, tell them what links the choice you made for uni with the Aldi position.
    Practice on being able to talk very concisely. The time to answer each question is extremely limited, show Aldi you are efficient.
    I applied for the Area Manager industrial placement scheme for the Atherstone and Swindon regions. I'd like to thank you very much for sharing this. I don't think I would have been able to answer some of those questions if I had not seen them beforehand. I had the exact same questions come up and in the same format that you said. I decided to take the video interview on my smartphone through their external recruiter's mobile app. It was straightforward but I could really feel the time pressures. Despite that, I had prepared my responses prior and hopefully I came across as a confident and well-rounded candidate. If I get invited to the next stage, which I assume is an assessment centre, then I will consult this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazmunali)
    I applied for the Area Manager industrial placement scheme for the Atherstone and Swindon regions. I'd like to thank you very much for sharing this. I don't think I would have been able to answer some of those questions if I had not seen them beforehand. I had the exact same questions come up and in the same format that you said. I decided to take the video interview on my smartphone through their external recruiter's mobile app. It was straightforward but I could really feel the time pressures. Despite that, I had prepared my responses prior and hopefully I came across as a confident and well-rounded candidate. If I get invited to the next stage, which I assume is an assessment centre, then I will consult this thread.
    no problem. I appreciate that you have taken the time to submit feedback.
    Good luck on your next stage.

Regarding me, I was invited to the assessment centre but I turned down the position before attending the day. I felt a position at a well-known engineering company better suited my career aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazmunali)
    I did not get invited to the next stage That's knocked my confidence a bit but I'll move on.

ReputationRep:
    hello i'm applying for the area manager scheme and have just been sent the link for the testing after completing the application form, could anyone let me know what the types of tests are and how they are laid out for instance if there is a numerical test how many questions you have to do and in what time frame?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I have a few questions. When have u applied for the area manager position? Should I apply while still at uni? Or after I get my degree? Also how long does the interview process take ? I am not asking just about the video interview, I mean the interview process in general with all stages. Also did u apply to other positions, graduate schemes? I noticed that Lidl is offering almost the same benefits and position. Has anyone applied for area manager position at Lidl ?

ReputationRep:
    I’ve heard horror stories about this scheme in terms of that you work 70 hour weeks and the environment is very frantic and high pressured. 42k is amazing, but when are you supposed to spend it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.