Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    No we can't.
    But would be really nice if we can win slightly more frequently........
    Still can't remember why we managed to win last year, actually. Maybe what we need is very choppy water every time ...... or an overly-agressive cox in the other boat who'd risk getting their blade broken.
    Personally I'd prefer it if it was undergrads only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Personally I'd prefer it if it was undergrads only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We've already established we'll never agree on that.
    The Boat Race is not like other university sports. It's a very unique establishment. Period.

And none of sports clubs or other clubs/societies is exclusive to undergraduate at Cambridge (and most other unis) anyway.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

We've already established we'll never agree on that.
    The Boat Race is not like other university sports. It's a very unique establishment. Period.

And none of sports clubs or other clubs/societies is exclusive to undergraduate at Cambridge (and most other unis) anyway.
    Agreed the university community is not just undergraduates only. Including graduate students also in part fosters unity within the university community itself to see themselves not as divided (graduate vs. undergraduate) but rather as a cohesive group of students
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Agreed the university community is not just undergraduates only. Including graduate students also in part fosters unity within the university community itself to see themselves not as divided (graduate vs. undergraduate) but rather as a cohesive group of students
    Well not really, considering the rowers have pretty extreme lifestyles and don't exactly have time to be "cohesive" with the wider student body. Most of the postgrad rowers are there for one thing only, to row.

There's no doubt the Boat Race is a huge recruiting opportunity for the universities, especially when attracting overseas postgrad dollars...

I know it's a forlorn hope to restrict it to undergrads but anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Well not really, considering the rowers have pretty extreme lifestyles and don't exactly have time to be "cohesive" with the wider student body. Most of the postgrad rowers are there for one thing only, to row.

There's no doubt the Boat Race is a huge recruiting opportunity for the universities, especially when attracting overseas postgrad dollars (especially for Hughes )....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like Athletic Scholarships in the US... :lol: (and the people who transfer from to another university after graduating (or do masters degree in another university) because they have one or two years of athletic eligibility left due to "redshirting")

Your last statement is correct unis will do what they can to win

ReputationRep:

There's no doubt the Boat Race is a huge recruiting opportunity for the universities, especially when attracting overseas postgrad dollars...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol it's not that ......

Also, most of CUBC/CUWBC training are done during the time that enable rowers to attend and be engaged in their academic activities/ commitment anyway.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    lol it's not that ......
    Are you really sure it's not a least partly a factor?

This has been discussed for a long time - 2006 article...
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...dnsport3.sport

(I definitely don't agree with restricting to UK students only though )

Even the guy that said "no" also said "I suppose the danger is that if you start recruiting actively then you might get a lot of people on one-year courses"

How many of the current crews are on 1 year courses... 11 out of 16.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really sure it's not a least partly a factor?

This has been discussed for a long time - 2006 article...
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...dnsport3.sport

(I definitely don't agree with restricting to UK students only though )

Even the guy that said "no" also said "I suppose the danger is that if you start recruiting actively then you might get a lot of people on one-year courses"

How many of the current crews are on 1 year courses... 11 out of 16.
    You're thinking like that because you're only looking at The Boat Race as a race between two universities.

And for rich unis like Oxbridge, fees they get from 10 (or eve 20) or so international PhD won't make or break their finances at all......

The Boat Race has a very big role and meaning in much wider rowing world outside Oxbridge too. . It is NOT a regular university sports.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    You're thinking like that because you're only looking at The Boat Race as a race between two universities.

And for rich unis like Oxbridge, fees they get from 10 (or eve 20) or so international PhD won't make or break their finances at all......

The Boat Race has a very big role and meaning in much wider rowing world outside Oxbridge too. . It is NOT a regular university sports.
    I know it's become much bigger than just a varsity race. Which is why it is also attractive to postgrads from around the world. Either hoping to take part directly, or more importantly to attend one of the participating universities.

I'm not referring to the fee income from the crew (most of whom will be fully sponsored/scholarshiped anyway). And I think only one was a PhD (DPhil) and I didn't include them in my count as it's not a one year course . My concern is really about those on 1 year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's strange really because there's so much more to rowing than the Boat Race, but that's the only time most people hear about it. So we put on events for the public and talk about it a lot, because that's what people expect when they see a rowing club.

But I'm not sure if that helps or harms the sport. It takes a lot of convincing to tell people that rowing is the most fun at grassroots level, not everyone is going for the Boat Race or Henley or the Olympics, and that rowing is actually a pretty affordable sport if you want it to be. Of course boats are expensive and race entry fees rack up but at rowing clubs you can use the equipment and the gym as much as you want for the price of a gym membership. With the added bonus of a great social life.

So yeah, the Boat Race is all well and good but rowing is so, so much more than two elite universities bashing it up the Thames...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    It's strange really because there's so much more to rowing than the Boat Race, but that's the only time most people hear about it. So we put on events for the public and talk about it a lot, because that's what people expect when they see a rowing club.

But I'm not sure if that helps or harms the sport. It takes a lot of convincing to tell people that rowing is the most fun at grassroots level, not everyone is going for the Boat Race or Henley or the Olympics, and that rowing is actually a pretty affordable sport if you want it to be. Of course boats are expensive and race entry fees rack up but at rowing clubs you can use the equipment and the gym as much as you want for the price of a gym membership. With the added bonus of a great social life.

So yeah, the Boat Race is all well and good but rowing is so, so much more than two elite universities bashing it up the Thames...
    Grass roots rowing as you term it actually sounds like such a fun way to spend time I genuinely want to give it a go after reading your messages on this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)

Yeah, I do hear what you're saying, totally.

(vvv Only for people who're interested enough in rowing. )
    Spoiler:
    Show

But whether you like or not, there's no other boat race in the world, let alone UK, that attract so much attention from general public (who're not usually interested in rowing at all other times, except for perhaps during Olympics) and media like The Boat Race. It's a huge and very effective PR machine for British Rowing and our rowing world in general.

On monetary basis, the attention The Boat Race generates is helping British Rowing to attract funding from many large, prominent corporates, and the money is used to promote and support rowing/rowers/clubs of all levels.

Rowing is much less popular sports to participate than sports like football, cricket, rugby, etc. but The Boat Race is helping to turn some people's attention to it, and if there're some young boys and girls who are inspired by watching it and decide to row themselves, that should be a good thing. And as you said, rowing is more affordable sports than many people are assuming, but they wouldn't know that until their interest is piqued and try to find out how to participate. It's a start. If it weren't for The Boat Race, rowing will probably get even less prospective participants. One of non-monetary benefit The Boat Race is creating.

The Boat Race itself is so unique in style/rule/the river's characteristics. etc, you can't actually apply a lot of things that's important to The Boat Race to more conventional boat races like Henley's Regatta, etc. but still it's a great aspirational race to watch for young rowers and many of those Oxbridge rowers are great raw model for them, as I'm sure you know already.

Anybody who has rowed on the Thames with that length of course knows it really demands extreme physical/mental strength and very high-standard skills and not looking like completely beaten by the river. What The Boat Race has been achieving in modern days is possible only because it is a very highly competitive, high-level race with national/international-standard rowers. It's not like what they used to be in olden days any more.
    Limiting the participants to undergraduates really won't work ........(= Precisely the reason nobody is interested in Varsity matches/competitions except for people who are actually involved in them and their friends/families. )

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Limiting the participants to undergraduates really won't work ........(= Precisely the reason nobody is interested in Varsity matches/competitions except for people who are actually involved in them and their friends/families. )
    I'm not aware that other Oxbridge varsity sports are undergrad only. Rugby certainly isn't and has 25,000+ paying spectators... unfortunately the one time they had TV coverage recently (2015) the Lions/Cambridge star failed to shine.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to join the Facebook group without alerting to all of your friends? I didn't tell anyone I applied..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheconomics)
    Is there a way to join the Facebook group without alerting to all of your friends? I didn't tell anyone I applied..
    Yes I'm pretty sure FB has a privacy setting for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he get injured though??

But this year the Pro rugby player performed didn't he? Think he's captain for the year.
    I'm not aware that other Oxbridge varsity sports are undergrad only. Rugby certainly isn't and has 25,000+ paying spectators... unfortunately the one time they had TV coverage recently (2015) the Lions/Cambridge star failed to shine.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    Didn't he get injured though??

But this year the Pro rugby player performed didn't he? Think he's captain for the year.
    Yes Jamie Roberts was injured early doors in the 2015 mach and went off (belatedly) at halftime.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was unless it is a very high-level completions involving international/national level participants, a sport like rowing will never draw attention from public/media or, more importantly to some extent, potential sponsors. Undergraduate level rowing won't cut it. Unlike football or rugby which is much more popular sports both on participation (and spectators), rowing has to pick from much a smaller pool of participants. They need The Boat Race to be as big as possible because that's the only boat race that can attract enough public interests.
    Rugby/ Football associations can do perfectly fine withoit varsity. They're popular enough without it.

(It's interesting you're ok with varsity rugby has postgrad players but want to make the Boat Race undergrad only....)

The Boat Race has grown much bigger than 'a university sports' long time ago. Whether you like or not, that's the reality and nobody in the rowing circle wants to change it now.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (It's interesting you're ok with varsity rugby has postgrad players but want to make the Boat Race undergrad only....)
    I didn't say I agreed with rugby being ok for postgrads.

And yes I fully know the Boat Race has been a big thing for years... after all it was first televised in 1938, and pretty much every year since WW2.

Anyway I think we are done with this for another year.

Maybe someone in this forum will help see to a Light Blue men's win next year. The women seem to have the winning formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I was meant to do the essay for homework but I haven't and I'm just going to explain why if they ask lol. I'll get round to doing it when I feel better! I think we just need to rest our brains too.
    I just want to sleep 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.