Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    It is very annoying. But then when you find stuff with pockets it's the best thing ever. Great feeling.

(but yeah, I really want dem deep pockets)
    I just got a new coat with like 10 pockets and honestly it's the best thing ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonhunter)
    AHHH OKAY SO I HAVE AN OFFER!!!! Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic from Trinity College. Currently walking around with a stupid grin on my face and checking the email every 5 minutes to make sure I'm not hallucinating...

Congrats to everyone
    Same. I got an offer from Trinity for Classics. Still can't believe it!

ReputationRep:
    So, I got an offer for Economics at Peterhouse (terrific!) - but, it is conditional on a 7 in IB HL Further Mathematics, which I wasn't quite expecting for the subject (especially as seeing as how I was predicted a 6, and I'm taking it as my 7th IB subject, meaning it's not in my diploma). This on its own would be all right, but the trouble is that at my school, Further Mathematics is entirely self-taught, without any outside support. On top of that, we start it our final year (and 'we' in this case refers to me, as I'm the only student taking it my year), although it's supposed to be a two-year course.

I'm somewhat terrified I won't be able to meet the offer (although I anticipate 7s in every other IB subject). Any ideas/suggestions? Do you think it's conceivable I'd be able to go with a 6 in Further Maths given that 7s in 4 other HL subjects?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
    jneill Any interesting stats you've found or calculated on offers or rejections this year?
    Patience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I'd email and ask, but I can't imagine they'd mind (and it sounds like a sensible idea because STEP is hard). Out of interest, what's the offer? It seems a bit odd to ask CompScis not applying for the maths option to do STEP if they don't also require it for PhysNatScis who do the same maths paper.
    A*A*A - with the A* in Further Maths and Computer Science, A in Maths
    Then Grade 2 in STEP 1

ReputationRep:
    This is a long shot, but is anyone here thinking of applying for a choral award/scholarship?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnificat7)
    Nah, this thread needs you two 😊
    :hat2: why thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    :hat2: why thank you
    Oi! That's my :hat2:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Patience...
    Any chance you could send me your list of offers/rejections so I can see if there's anyone I've missed out on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    This is a long shot, but is anyone here thinking of applying for a choral award/scholarship?
    My daughter has an offer from Homerton and plans to apply for a choral award. Wbu?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Oi! That's my :hat2:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I challenge you to a :hat2: duel! May the best emoticon user win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I challenge you to a :hat2: duel! May the best emoticon user win
    I rest my case

ReputationRep:
    was going to audition for the college choir because I love singing in choirs but then I remembered I can't actually sing and an audition would kill me

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has an offer from Homerton and plans to apply for a choral award. Wbu?
    Massive congratulations to your daughter, Homerton is so lovely, I have an old friend who's the president of their music soc I've got an offer from Newnham and I'm thinking of applying to Selwyn Choir but it seems really daunting and I'm a bit worried about the aural tests! Is your daughter a soprano or alto?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachykeen)
    was going to audition for the college choir because I love singing in choirs but then I remembered I can't actually sing and an audition would kill me
    But, apart from that, see you at auditions? I love your positive outlook

ReputationRep:
    WELL DONE EVERYBODY!!!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsphelps)
    A*A*A - with the A* in Further Maths and Computer Science, A in Maths
    Then Grade 2 in STEP 1
    Hmm, interesting that they specified the A-level grades. A 2 in STEP 1 shouldn't be too hard though. It probably won't be easy, but I think it's definitely possible for anyone who can get an A* in Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Vine)
    Same. I got an offer from Trinity for Classics. Still can't believe it!
    Congratulations!! That's fantastic What grades are they asking?

ReputationRep:
    Massive congratulations to your daughter, Homerton is so lovely, I have an old friend who's the president of their music soc I've got an offer from Newnham and I'm thinking of applying to Selwyn Choir but it seems really daunting and I'm a bit worried about the aural tests! Is your daughter a soprano or alto?
    Thanks, and congrats to you too! She's officially an alto, but likes to sing soprano if given the opportunity (e.g. joining the sopranos for descants during the big numbers in the school carol service). Wbu?

We were shown around Homerton by a really lovely second year undergraduate who was hugely enthusiastic about the choral award at Homerton, what it entailed etc (she had been awarded one herself), said my daughter should try for it if she got an offer, nothing to lose, etc. My daughter takes singing lessons and does the exams etc and sings in school choir, but our guide said exams not necessary, more enthusiasm, commitment and (not surprisingly really) singing ability.

So go for it! There are sample aural tests on the website, just practise a bit and you'll be fine 😊 And another excuse for a trip to Cambridge (we're in Scotland so loving the prospect!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and congrats to you too! She's officially an alto, but likes to sing soprano if given the opportunity (e.g. joining the sopranos for descants during the big numbers in the school carol service). Wbu?

We were shown around Homerton by a really lovely second year undergraduate who was hugely enthusiastic about the choral award at Homerton, what it entailed etc (she had been awarded one herself), said my daughter should try for it if she got an offer, nothing to lose, etc. My daughter takes singing lessons and does the exams etc and sings in school choir, but our guide said exams not necessary, more enthusiasm, commitment and (not surprisingly really) singing ability.

So go for it! There are sample aural tests on the website, just practise a bit and you'll be fine 😊 And another excuse for a trip to Cambridge (we're in Scotland so loving the prospect!)
    Oh how lovely! I definitely agree, all our altos join in during the classic O Little Town of Bethlehem descant (my personal favourite!) but Hark the Herald is always a liiiiittle bit too high! I'm a second soprano but I love singing first sop!

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you said exams aren't too necessary because I've never had a singing lesson but I've been in 6 or so choirs, set up a chamber choir at my sixth form, volunteered as carolers for a local village, sang in 3 school musicals and done countless performances! I've never been formally taught but I just blooming love it and think it's so much fun, it really relaxes me when work gets stressful.

That's a good shout, I'll check those out and then try and learn a bit of music theory! Thank you for giving me hope, I'll apply now! (Not to Homerton though, I'm sure I'd encounter stiff competition there! :P ) Massive congratulations to your lovely daughter, I hope she's pleased!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.