Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You know those Cambridge subject chats? Do people actually stick together or do they all drift off when they actually start uni? It's just because I quit mine (on amicable terms) as I just wanted to concentrate on acing my alevels and the constant notifications and fast moving conversations were quite a pain. I feel like I may have disadvantaged myself when it comes to meeting new people by cutting myself off from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    You know those Cambridge subject chats? Do people actually stick together or do they all drift off when they actually start uni? It's just because I quit mine (on amicable terms) as I just wanted to concentrate on acing my alevels and the constant notifications and fast moving conversations were quite a pain. I feel like I may have disadvantaged myself when it comes to meeting new people by cutting myself off from it
    I think I'll probably stick with the people on mine, but then again that's because there's only a few people on my course! I guess for history it doesn't really matter since there'll always be more historians, and in any case it's probably better if friendships form 'organically' depending on how often you see them rather than through group chats, if you get me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    I think I'll probably stick with the people on mine, but then again that's because there's only a few people on my course! I guess for history it doesn't really matter since there'll always be more historians, and in any case it's probably better if friendships form 'organically' depending on how often you see them rather than through group chats, if you get me
    I hope so! I just don't like the idea of everyone being all tight-knitted already from the group chat and I'm an awkward outcast because I quit/couldn't keep up with the speed of the conversations.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! I just don't like the idea of everyone being all tight-knitted already from the group chat and I'm an awkward outcast because I quit/couldn't keep up with the speed of the conversations.
    I'm sure you won't be the only one not on the chat, otherwise it would have 225 people in it 😉

ReputationRep:
    Well the chat you left is nowhere near as active as it was back then, but it still has a decent level of conversation every couple of days or so. I don't think you're missing out on too much but some people have definitely got chatty and added each other etc. Don't think it will make any difference at all for you actually, the majority of people don't talk at all (70 people in the chat out of 230 historians, about 20 speak at most) - they might as well not be in any group chats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Don't do the homework, just revise. You will be leaving soon anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's pretty much what I'm doing, although I've done a bit of the homework to at least pacify my teachers in terms of the fact I've done something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
    Well the chat you left is nowhere near as active as it was back then, but it still has a decent level of conversation every couple of days or so. I don't think you're missing out on too much but some people have definitely got chatty and added each other etc. Don't think it will make any difference at all for you actually, the majority of people don't talk at all (70 people in the chat out of 230 historians, about 20 speak at most) - they might as well not be in any group chats.
    Hi, long time no talk. Hope you're doing well!

That's fair enough! I just hate the thought of feeling like an outsider in the subject/at uni. Bit of a worry of mine when it comes to uni in general. Thank you for clearing things up for me

ReputationRep:
    Hi, long time no talk. Hope you're doing well!

That's fair enough! I just hate the thought of feeling like an outsider in the subject/at uni. Bit of a worry of mine when it comes to uni in general. Thank you for clearing things up for me
    I'm doing fine thanks! Well, minus the revision grind I am. Don't worry about being an outsider at all, regardless of group chat participation, everyone will be an "outsider" with no friends at first. Clichéd, but everyone's in the same boat.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I revise best my talking through my subject, but I've got no-one to talk to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which facebook page is the official offer holders' one?I think my join request is still pending :/
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fedoratipbot)
    Does anyone know which facebook page is the official offer holders' one?I think my join request is still pending :/
    Your college one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Your college one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok. It's not this one (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1504333816484782/) or this one (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1236...8/?ref=br_rs)?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The 2nd one is legit yes. CUSU is fine. Have they not approved your request?

The first one is by a commercial company and you end up getting spammed.

But it's your college one that is more important.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    The 2nd one is legit yes. CUSU is fine. Have they not approved your request?

The first one is by a commercial company and you end up getting spammed.

But it's your college one that is more important.
    Oh ok, I see. Yeah I've been waiting a few weeks for an approval.

It's exam season in Cambridge right now though, right? The admins probably turned all their facebook accounts off :grin:

ReputationRep:
    It's exam season in Cambridge right now though, right? The admins probably turned all their facebook accounts off :grin:
    I think most people have either finished exams by now or finish in the next week. There's far fewer glum looking students around now than there were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I think most people have either finished exams by now or finish in the next week. There's far fewer glum looking students around now than there were.
    Yeah, I follow a load of Cambridge students on Instagram for motivation, but it's backfiring a bit now they've all finished and I haven't even started 😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Yeah, I follow a load of Cambridge students on Instagram for motivation, but it's backfiring a bit now they've all finished and I haven't even started 😭😭😭
    Well finals haven't even started for me yet, so my life is probably more stressful than yours right now. You've got that going for you.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The admins probably turned all their facebook accounts off :grin:
    The admins are the CUSU sabbatical officers so won't have exams.

The really important one to join will be your college freshers' one after results day, which is where you will start to get info about arriving (and will then probably be used for the remainder of the year for various college announcements).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's 7 papers standing in-between me and my future. Aahh. Praying I get A*A*A.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's 7 papers standing in-between me and my future. Aahh. Praying I get A*A*A.
    I've got 12 to go. Also praying for A*A*A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.