Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It doesn't work like that unfortunately. This *example* from Ofqual has A* at 76
    https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2017/03/3...-new-a-levels/
    No thats a good thing! I feel like I can get like 165+ for History but whether or not I can meet a strict 180 figure (90% of the 200 marks available) is subjective.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    No thats a good thing! I feel like I can get like 165+ for History but whether or not I can meet a strict 180 figure (90% of the 200 marks available) is subjective.
    And that's the point, there's no strict 80% or 90% figure with regards to raw marks. It was the same previously when the raw marks where "converted" to UMS. UMS does have the set boundaries, but raw marks never do. The raw mark boundaries always change from subject to subject and year to year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm with OCR for English Lit and History, and AQA for English Lang. Lit is typically 90 or 91% for an A at AS, so I'm estimating that it would be around 93% for an A*. History was really low at AS, with around 72-4% for an A, so my guess is that for OCR, it will be around 88% for an A*. English Language - who knows... last year I think it was around 85% for an A? So I'd put it at around 90% for an A*. Having said that, I'm not the most reliable, and we're probably doing completely different boards. That aside, just do as well as you can, I have faith you'll succeed x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    I'm with OCR for English Lit and History, and AQA for English Lang. Lit is typically 90 or 91% for an A at AS, so I'm estimating that it would be around 93% for an A*. History was really low at AS, with around 72-4% for an A, so my guess is that for OCR, it will be around 88% for an A*. English Language - who knows... last year I think it was around 85% for an A? So I'd put it at around 90% for an A*. Having said that, I'm not the most reliable, and we're probably doing completely different boards. That aside, just do as well as you can, I have faith you'll succeed x
    I'm on OCR for Lit and I just want an A in Lit (my toughest subject just because of how widely subjectively it is). I'm on Edexcel for History though and AQA for language... need an A* in both for Cam and just As for Durham.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on OCR for Lit and I just want an A in Lit (my toughest subject just because of how widely subjectively it is). I'm on Edexcel for History though and AQA for language... need an A* in both for Cam and just As for Durham.
    Oh dang, are you doing lit, lang and history too?! such a beautiful combination, but so... so many essays... which books are you doing for Lit? And how are you revising for lang, I'm so stuck for Paper 1 practice questions ahhh! Best of luck <3

I feel so lucky my offer is only 1 A*, but they wouldn't have given you 2 A*s to get if they didin't think you were capable!!!! Which Durham college is your offer for?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh dang, are you doing lit, lang and history too?! such a beautiful combination, but so... so many essays... which books are you doing for Lit? And how are you revising for lang, I'm so stuck for Paper 1 practice questions ahhh! Best of luck <3

I feel so lucky my offer is only 1 A*, but they wouldn't have given you 2 A*s to get if they didin't think you were capable!!!! Which Durham college is your offer for?
    I am indeed! Ive enjoyed my subjects (lit and language more than I thought when I enrolled at sixth form) for the last two years but ahh so many essays and so much content I kind of wish I had chosen politics or something which offered less subjective mark schemes and widely ranging questions :lol:

I am doing Hamlet, Paradise Lost, Dolls House, 1984, and Handmaids tale. My offer is for Grey's college.

I'm in the middle of doing flashcards for everything but section 1 paper 1 for language.

See I would feel confident with the standard humanities offer but A*A*A is just frightening. I can do History so I feel I might be able to get an A* in that. I can do lit and language to an A grade level but I don't know if I'll be able to do either to an A*. My teachers think I can but honestly.... they're far too subjective!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    History teacher just checked a few of my essay plans and said she thinks I'm doing all the right things and I'll do well on Friday
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if for humanities like English lit, English language and History, if the A* is 90% or above or if it can sometimes be a bit lower (like 80%).

It's a new course/system, I know.
    In reality 90% will probably be the highest, so it's always a good boundary to go by. At the end of the day all you can do is your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    In reality 90% will probably be the highest, so it's always a good boundary to go by. At the end of the day all you can do is your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been aiming for 90% in English language and History (and 80% in Literature) hoping that'll get me A*A*A but if 90% is highest and say 70% is lowest for A*... I feel (slightly) okay as long as a sprinkle of luck is on my side (don't want to get too confident I'm a bit superstitious)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've been aiming for 90% in English language and History (and 80% in Literature) hoping that'll get me A*A*A but if 90% is highest and say 70% is lowest for A*... I feel (slightly) okay as long as a sprinkle of luck is on my side (don't want to get too confident I'm a bit superstitious)
    For all our luck it might work out as 95% for an A* 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    For all our luck it might work out as 95% for an A* 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I would cry :lol: I'd be off to Durham or elsewhere then!

ReputationRep:
    Ayy I'm with OCR for Lit and History, aiming for an A* in Lit and an A in History (obviously trying for both to be safe but in terms of being realistic)

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed! Ive enjoyed my subjects (lit and language more than I thought when I enrolled at sixth form) for the last two years but ahh so many essays and so much content I kind of wish I had chosen politics or something which offered less subjective mark schemes and widely ranging questions :lol:

I am doing Hamlet, Paradise Lost, Dolls House, 1984, and Handmaids tale. My offer is for Grey's college.

I'm in the middle of doing flashcards for everything but section 1 paper 1 for language.

See I would feel confident with the standard humanities offer but A*A*A is just frightening. I can do History so I feel I might be able to get an A* in that. I can do lit and language to an A grade level but I don't know if I'll be able to do either to an A*. My teachers think I can but honestly.... they're far too subjective!

I'm doing Hamlet and A Doll's House too.

Are you doing Civil Rights on Friday?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    I'm doing Hamlet and A Doll's House too.

Are you doing Civil Rights on Friday?
    Ooo nice!! Could you perhaps help me with Hamlet?

No, Tudor authority, nation, and religion 1509-88.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo nice!! Could you perhaps help me with Hamlet?

No, Tudor authority, nation, and religion 1509-88.
    Ah, cool, I do the Tudors but 1547-1603 and not on Friday.

Yeah, I've been concentrating like crazy on Civil Rights as it is 40% of my history and the only new content so I've been putting what I'm normally better at i.e. literature slightly on the backburner which is worrying me!

I'd love to talk about Hamlet and A Doll's House, yeah. Need someone who's also studying them to keep my hand in, I don't wanna be complacent just because I know I am better at English.

ReputationRep:

Lol I chose politics for AS last year thinking it'd be easier and did the worst in it out of all my subjects

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if for humanities like English lit, English language and History, if the A* is 90% or above or if it can sometimes be a bit lower (like 80%).

It's a new course/system, I know.
    My advice would be look at the grade boundaries from AS last summer. I found something on AQA exam boards website that said it would be set this year so the same percentage get an A* that would have done on the old spec - so approximately the top 10% I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    My advice would be look at the grade boundaries from AS last summer. I found something on AQA exam boards website that said it would be set this year so the same percentage get an A* that would have done on the old spec - so approximately the top 10% I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To put 20% of A2 marks got an A* on AQA English Language last year which is really low :O

ReputationRep:
    Okay! I mean I'd never class myself as having an actual disability, especially compared to some people who are genuinely far more deserving of help and support! Are you thinking of attending it then?

Haha, thanks! It was a wonderful experience, I talked about it in my PS, it was essentially writing advice columns for ChildLine and First News (kids newspaper) about things like exam stress, sports or body image! I'd love to do some voluntary work for them sometime though...

This one is for Cambridge, yes! That makes sense, my extenuating circumstances weren't even about me hahaha, I think they might have exaggerated how significant they were because it really wasn't that bad! It's 15th September I think? But I'm sure throughout the year they'll do things like workshops on coping with stress, anxiety and sadness - I hope so anyway, mental health is so important <3

By the way, a diagnosis really isn't as significant as it seems; I know in a lot of senses it 'legitimises' how you feel (I know I felt like a huge attention seeker before going to my GP) but anything from a small bit of anxiety in social situations to a prolonged period of sadness counts as legitimate and valid and worth support.

If anyone needs, or wants, to chat about anything related to this, I'd love to be an ear for ya xx
    I did consider it for a short while, but I'm in a bit of a predicament with it... I've been having what one of my friends thinks is panic attacks but because I don't ever end up hyperventilating my other friends think I'm making it up. Plus when things are really bad at school I normally go and hide in the toilets. And I'm not close enough with mum to be able to tell her what is going on, and I haven't got the guts to go to the doctors and seek help at the moment, so I almost don't feel like I'm "disabled" enough to go. And the thing in the website that queens college sent me the link to said its for disabled students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To put 20% of A2 marks got an A* on AQA English Language last year which is really low :O
    They may well be really low this year - I know AQA AS bio an A was only like 58% raw marks. As one of my teachers said, all we have to do is to beat everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.