Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strimpy)
    same, made silly mistakes and confused myself, plus question 8 (with the damn rabbits) took me about half an hour lol. The grade boundaries were 59 for an A last year and imo this paper was far harder

do you reckon you still got an A because im really not sure i did
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4793766
    have you checked with this?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by k.russell)
    And judging by https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pol...s&pollid=56018 nearly 50% of TSR thinks it was "bad" or "horrible"...

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm looking for any and all graduates who have received offers for graduate medicine from any of the three colleges that offer it. Also if there are any successful applicants for the masters in medicinal biochemistry I'd love to speak to you too. Please message me if you have received one of these offers!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And judging by https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pol...s&pollid=56018 nearly 50% of TSR thinks it was "bad" or "horrible"...
    Yes but at the same time, this poll - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4793766 - says 35% of people think they have 66-75 marks. It was the same for D1 this year which I thought was pretty hard for a D1 and loads of people responded to it as bad or horrible.
    I guess TSR in general is overachieving or overconfident...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    I think I've still got an A presuming there's no more silly mistakes I haven't thought of, it's the 90 UMS for an A* I'm not sure of. Just gotta smash C4 I guess and get that 180 UMS total I suppose
    I'm sure you will!

yep lol thats what im basing my predictions off
    and the reason for my depression

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will!

yep lol thats what im basing my predictions off
    and the reason for my depression
    Really? Sounds like an A could be dead low on that paper, about 55. I'm sure you'll be alright with C4 and your applied unit

ReputationRep:
    Really? Sounds like an A could be dead low on that paper, about 55. I'm sure you'll be alright with C4 and your applied unit
    doubt it will actually be that low tho, only one ever below 55 was 2013 which was so bad the bbc actually reported it lol

and well i reckon i got about 56-58, gotta pray C4 is nicer or im totally screwed
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zacken)
    If you're interested in finding out more, reading 'A Mathematicians Lament' by Lockhart (a short PDF) or 'A Mathematicians Apology' is a recommended read.
    I know this wasn't recommended for me but thank you. I just read "A Mathematician's Lament" and as a student who went through the American style of maths education... I can definitely relate to the examples he was making. As a person who has always hated maths as it is taught at school... this has given me something to think about...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    I know this wasn't recommended for me but thank you. I just read "A Mathematician's Lament" and as a student who went through the American style of maths education... I can definitely relate to the examples he was making. As a person who has always hated maths as it is taught at school... this has given me something to think about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all, thank you for reading it! I'm glad you found it illuminating. I keep sharing that document around in the hopes that more people will read it.

The UK style seems to be a fair bit better than the US one, but they both still completely miserably represent actual maths.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Not at all, thank you for reading it! I'm glad you found it illuminating. I keep sharing that document around in the hopes that more people will read it.

The UK style seems to be a fair bit better than the US one, but they both still completely miserably represent actual maths.
    I'll share it on Facebook in the hopes that some friends will read it as well.

Yeah from my experience, (I've been in both British and American schools) the British way is better compared to the American way. The result is that almost all of my classmates hate maths, even the ones who are good at it.-They turn to CompSci and Physics instead.

Only one guy in my class applied to be a maths major because he loved maths...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can I have some luck from the good people of TSR for my history exam tomorrow I'm dreading it 😭😭
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Can I have some luck from the good people of TSR for my history exam tomorrow I'm dreading it 😭😭
    LUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! 🍀🍀🍀
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    LUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

Wooo thank you!! ❤❤❤

I had to go to an awards ceremony to pick up a special award for "achievement against the odds", so I missed valuable revision time, so a little scared now. (Though I did do 3.5 further hours after..) so now I just ahh

I am a worried Durham steamboat

ReputationRep:
    Wooo thank you!! ❤❤❤

I had to go to an awards ceremony to pick up a special award for "achievement against the odds", so I missed valuable revision time, so a little scared now. (Though I did do 3.5 further hours after..) so now I just ahh

I am a worried Durham steamboat
    Your school has much more inventive awards than ours. There's just the classic "being good at music" and "top 10 achievers" or "being good at [x] sport".

I'd love some "Underdog" awards, or subject-specific ones would be cool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Inister)
    Your school has much more inventive awards than ours. There's just the classic "being good at music" and "top 10 achievers" or "being good at [x] sport".

I'd love some "Underdog" awards, or subject-specific ones would be cool
    Nah it wasn't from my school It was from my town council/wider borough government thing

ReputationRep:
    Nah it wasn't from my school It was from my town council/wider borough government thing
    Lol I bet that doesn't help ease the pressure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Inister)
    Lol I bet that doesn't help ease the pressure
    No not really Ive resigned myself to not going to Cambridge though like ive done most of my exams just hope tomorrow isn't a total flunk and the day after is decent... after that it's completely out of my control

ReputationRep:
    doubt it will actually be that low tho, only one ever below 55 was 2013 which was so bad the bbc actually reported it lol

and well i reckon i got about 56-58, gotta pray C4 is nicer or im totally screwed
    C4 and the applied unit! Applied is just as important as c4 for an A grade. Good luck mate - honestly the worst thing you can do is worry, just relax and do your bet.
    Even if it's not an A, I reckon 56-58 is 75-80 ums so as long as you can average slightly over an A in the other 2 you're gravy

ReputationRep:
    anyone feeling brave enough to predict maths ums?
    Spoiler:
    Show

FP1 - 100
    S3 - 90
    FP2 - 96
    S1 - 85
    D1 - 70
    S2 - ??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.