Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    Haha we both bombed S1
    S1 was terrible I just gave up halfway lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I think there would have to be more to it than a photoshopped tweet.

I wasn't aware of the C4 "issue" until you noted it, I've passed it on to colleagues at TSR Towers

Thanks again!

Edit: Edexcel's response. Panic is not required

Attachment 667722
    It says the attachment is broken
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    No we were talking about C4...
    Ok, my mistake. I misread the reference to C3. Anyway, the alleged leak is being investigated.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    It says the attachment is broken
    Argh - no idea why we are having problems with images...

Here's the tweet:
    https://twitter.com/Edexcel/status/878233810537762820
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir albert)
    WHAT IF YOU ONLY JUST MISS YOUR OFFER?

My understanding is that the Cambridge summer pool is for those who were made conditional offers in January but who just missed them on results day, and that the this pool happens the day after results are released and lasts for one day only.

I suspect that, more than any other year, the summer pool is on the thoughts of a few in this group due to the uncertainties brought about by changes to A-levels, etc.

I have a number of questions the answers to which might clarify for those seeking knowledge of the pool process and decision making. My questions might need the input of Cambridge ATs:

1. Is there a definition of what constitutes an offer near miss?

2. To what extent does a near miss that includes a very good mark for the subject being applied for, matter?

3. If you have a near miss, does your college tell you that you are in the summer pool and, if so, how is this communicated?

4. When is the result of the summer pool communicated to students?

5. If you elect to have a result remarked does that exclude you from the summer pool?

6. If you elect for a remark does it mean that you then have to obtain the full offer as originated in January?

Many thanks.
    The AT has answered much of this in his current thread (it closes today) - have a look and ask again in you are still unsure.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4778102

My view-
    1) Nothing official
    2) Your application is reviewed holistically. Strengths in some areas could help offset weaknesses elsewhere.
    3) I don't *think* so. The pool happens before results day and you only find out afterwards (afaik... I might be wrong on this - check with Murray Edwards).
    4) Results day (but see 3)
    5) No
    6) It doesn't work like that - if you get a succesful remark before the deadline (I *think* at the end of August) then you will be accepted.

Probably best to check these with Murray Edwards (I should know the Summer Pool questions, but I've forgotten...)

ReputationRep:
    Might be wrong, but don't people get notified whether they've been successful or not in the summer pool the day after results day?

ReputationRep:
    The AT has answered much of this in his current thread (it closes today) - have a look and ask again in you are still unsure.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4778102

My view-
    1) Nothing official
    2) Your application is reviewed holistically. Strengths in some areas could help offset weaknesses elsewhere.
    3) I don't *think* so. The pool happens before results day and you only find out afterwards (afaik... I might be wrong on this - check with Murray Edwards).
    5) No
    6) It doesn't work like that - if you get a succesful remark before the deadline (I *think* at the end of August) then you will be accepted.

Probably best to check these with Murray Edwards (I should know the Summer Pool questions, but I've forgotten...)
    Thanks. Now posted 'over there'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Might be wrong, but don't people get notified whether they've been successful or not in the summer pool the day after results day?
    That's what I heard too, but wasn't sure. Anyway, have posted elsewhere and will link back here for everybody when it gets answered.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, I honestly don't remember. I see OP has asked Dr Spencer so we'll get the official answer and then I can print it out and affix it to my forehead for future reference...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Now posted 'over there'
    MEAT has confirmed what happens
    "The Summer Pool always takes place on Friday, the day after results are released to students. We can't start it sooner as we only have the grades and not the marks and we need those before colleges can make individual decisions on near misses."

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...&postcount=173

And Poolees will be contacted...
    "...as soon as possible but will vary from college to college and applicant to applicant. From my point of view, I've always tried to ensure that we contacted everyone who was unsuccessful or whom we picked up from other colleges on Friday evening. It's not always possible to stick to this but we all do our best as we know that students have insurance offers that they need to activate or that they need to enter clearing."

Note, this only applies if your decision status is Pending on Results Day. And if it is, it's important to get your UMS or raw marks over to your college asap - by email with your UCAS ID in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true people switch tripos courses in the very first week? Not planning to but find it amazing that it's allowed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    Is it true people switch tripos courses in the very first week? Not planning to but find it amazing that it's allowed...
    Yes. You get to speak to the DoS of your new subject face to face and get interviewed/anything necessary to switch and get all of the admin out of the way as well as not being disadvantaged because the course has only just started, it's not that amazing...

ReputationRep:
    WHAT IF YOU ONLY JUST MISS YOUR OFFER?

My understanding is that the Cambridge summer pool is for those who were made conditional offers in January but who just missed them on results day, and that the this pool happens the day after results are released and lasts for one day only.

I suspect that, more than any other year, the summer pool is on the thoughts of a few in this group due to the uncertainties brought about by changes to A-levels, etc.

I have a number of questions the answers to which might clarify for those seeking knowledge of the pool process and decision making. My questions might need the input of Cambridge ATs:

1. Is there a definition of what constitutes an offer near miss?

2. To what extent does a near miss that includes a very good mark for the subject being applied for, matter?

3. If you have a near miss, does your college tell you that you are in the summer pool and, if so, how is this communicated?

4. When is the result of the summer pool communicated to students?

5. If you elect to have a result remarked does that exclude you from the summer pool?

6. If you elect for a remark does it mean that you then have to obtain the full offer as originated in January?

Many thanks.
    Dr Spencer (Medwards Admissions Tutor) has kindly replied to my questions. So that everyone in this group is aware of his response i'm reposting them below:

1) No. There is no formal definition of a 'near miss'. In terms of your offer a miss is a miss. From a personal perspective, I'd say a near miss is one grade.

2) Your results profile at A Level would very much be part of the consideration but not in isolation from other aspects of your application and the situation within the college and, in numbers-managed subjects, across the university.

3) Yes, they should do. Either by letter (sent on Wednesday) or by email.

4) As soon as possible by will vary from college to college and applicant to applicant. From my point of view, I've always tried to ensure that we contacted everyone who was unsuccessful or whom we picked up from other colleges on Friday evening. It's not always possible to stick to this but we all do our best as we know that students have insurance offers that they need to activate or that they need to enter clearing.

5) No. You can still go into the Summer Pool if you go for a priority remark and this won't affect your chances.

6) If you meet the terms of the original offer through the remark by 31 August then your place will be honoured. If you meet it after 31 August then the college may admit you in October but might make a deferred offer instead. If the remark fails to lift the grade, the college still has discretion to honour the offer but don't hold your breath!

I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You get to speak to the DoS of your new subject face to face and get interviewed/anything necessary to switch and get all of the admin out of the way as well as not being disadvantaged because the course has only just started, it's not that amazing...
    Couldn't that be abused in some way? Like I could ask to switch to Compsci or something and avoid having to do the CSAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Couldn't that be abused in some way? Like I could ask to switch to Compsci or something and avoid having to do the CSAT.
    Exactly what I was referring to! Say if you applied for a course like classics with a fifty percent admissions rate and switched to something much more competitive? It seems to be a massively flawed system if many people tactically pick more accessible courses just to switch on their first week...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I was referring to! Say if you applied for a course like classics with a fifty percent admissions rate and switched to something much more competitive? It seems to be a massively flawed system if many people tactically pick more accessible courses just to switch on their first week...
    It's not an easy backdoor in. It has to be with the agreement of both DoSs and of course you're unlikely to move from Classics to CompSci unless you also meet the CompSci requirements.

They are pretty smart these DoSs - they'll suss out anyone trying to game the system.

You're a NatSci yes? Then you will have shown some maths competence - and there's CS modules in NatSci aren't there? So it could be possible to move from NatSci to CS.

It's not quite the same but people DO change from NatSci to CompSci *during* the Tripos. Not many, but it happens.

Edit: just remembered you're a ChemEng, but same difference.

ReputationRep:
    No,first off in practice, most people tend to switch to courses that are similar to their own. e.g someone switched from HSPS to PBS, they share half the modules as it is and there was one module that was in PBS but not HSPS that the person wanted to do, so they switched in the first week. Or switch between history and classics, or maths -> physics (anything -> maths is a special case as usual).

If someone were to try doing something as you're describing above, it'd be a really bad idea:

(i) you'd have to have the relevant subjects for both courses
    (ii) you'd have to sit the admissions test for a subject you're not excellent at
    (iii) you'll have an/multiple interview with a fellow/multiple fellows who is/are an expert in the subject and will see through your poor ruse
    (iv) if, somehow, you manage to get in regardless of the above, there's still no guarantee that you'll be allowed to switch, it happens, yes - but it's not guaranteed, especially if you make a weird switch like classics -> compsci or something.
    (v) if, somehow, you manage to get in and switch, then you'll start you new subject that you wanted to apply for in the first place, and promptly struggle and flunk out of Cambridge, because if you weren't good enough to get in normally, how on earth will you cope with the course?

ReputationRep:
    You're a NatSci yes? Then you will have shown some maths competence - and there's CS modules in NatSci aren't there? So it could be possible to move from NatSci to CS.
    This can and does happen, see item 5 in these meeting minutes. Quite possibly an 'easier way in' than applying for CS directly (from a personal perspective, the NatSci admissions test and interviews were nowhere near as challenging as those for CS), but as Zacken said, there's every chance you'd then struggle with the course because you weren't good enough to get in the normal way.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an easy backdoor in. It has to be with the agreement of both DoSs and of course you're unlikely to move from Classics to CompSci unless you also meet the CompSci requirements.

They are pretty smart these DoSs - they'll suss out anyone trying to game the system.

It's not quite the same but people DO change from NatSci to CompSci *during* the Tripos. Not many, but it happens.

Edit: just remembered you're a ChemEng, but same difference.
    Tbh I don't know if I want to stick to ChemEng anymore. Honestly, I think I'll probably end up sticking with NatSci or maybe switch to Compsci in the second year depending on how much I enjoy the first year Compsci option.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    August 17th couldn't come soon enough I just want to know where/if I am going to uni so I can get stuff sorted got asked to choose what papers I want to do at Cambridge and I am so insecure/not confident about grades (I think I messed up my last few exams especially) so trying not to get my hopes up when I have a nosey at the History tripos

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.