Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by unknowntsr)
    Ok thank you. They've asked me to email them if I want to firm it but I'll wait a little longer.
    It's not binding. It's fine to say yes in the email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After a manic view days, I've been lurking and catching up on the applicants thread, and now feel in a position to actually post
    Offer from St John's for Economics, with conditions A*A*A and A* Needed in Further Maths. So should be good fun working towards that. If I do get in... it'll be good fun chatting about advanced econometrics to the interviewers who watched me screw up the graph of y = x - 1

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you. They've asked me to email them if I want to firm it but I'll wait a little longer.
    You can tell them you will.......or make them wait, as a revenge!

Jk.

ReputationRep:
    I also have an offer for Law at Queens'

ReputationRep:
    BTW, for people interested in how schools perform generally for Oxbridge, mine got 6 Cambridge offers and an Oxford offer, out of about 25 applicants.
    So 1 Economics, 1 maths, 3 medicine, 1 theology, and then the other place got 1 biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinnie99)
    BTW, for people interested in how schools perform generally for Oxbridge, mine got 6 Cambridge offers and an Oxford offer, out of about 25 applicants.
    So 1 Economics, 1 maths, 3 medicine, 1 theology, and then the other place got 1 biochemistry
    My school did weirdly. Last year there were no offers. This year, 1 of 2 Oxford applicants and 3 of 4 Cambridge applicants got offers (in Engineering, Maths, Architecture and Japanese respectively)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lmao this year out of 62 applicants, 20+ have offers. too much to count but its like 8 for Oxford and 12+ for Cambridge.

Last year only 10 got offers, and we’ve surpassed the record of 17!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    My school did weirdly. Last year there were no offers. This year, 1 of 2 Oxford applicants and 3 of 4 Cambridge applicants got offers (in Engineering, Maths, Architecture and Japanese respectively)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow! That's an impressive success rate this year! Well done

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, as my daughter's old school is a bit like yours.
    Their success rate for Cambridge is MUCH higher than for Oxford.
    They send roughly 10-15% of students (total number. Not Oxbridge applicants) , but mostly to Cambridge. There were even a few years they didn't send anyone to Oxford.
    My friend whose son went to a school in western suburb of London (much posher private than my daughter's) said it's completely opposite at his school.
    Perhaps each school has different strength/expertise in Oxbridge application.

ReputationRep:
    Shout out to all the offer holders who were the only applicant from their school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lmao this year out of 62 applicants, 20+ have offers. too much to count but its like 8 for Oxford and 12+ for Cambridge.

Last year only 10 got offers, and we’ve surpassed the record of 17!
    How many people are in your year group out of interest? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platelet)
    Shout out to all the offer holders who were the only applicant from their school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I whole-heartedly second this!
    Very, very well done!
    Cambridge needs AND wants more like yours.

Best of luck for your new journey, come October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    How many people are in your year group out of interest? Thanks
    110-120 people

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's impressive, given its so daunting the whole process as it is, without having other friends going through it. You may have said already, but which course and college?

ReputationRep:
    110-120 people
    Sounds like it's quite similar to my daughter's school.
    Perhaps very similar position on the school league tables if you're to believe that sort of ranking.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very well said and HUGE ongratulations. Enjoy😀😀😀😀

ReputationRep:
    110-120 people
    So 62/120 (50%) application rate is high. In my school it was 7/225 which is 3%. And in many other schools probably one applicant.

Just goes to show the differing amounts of support/ insight into the process there is. The task of balancing this in the decision making process ( for Cambridge) is not to be underestimated I think.

State schools unfortunately still lag behind in teaching to the required standards and encouraging students to apply to Oxbridge. 😒😞😞

ReputationRep:
    That's impressive, given its so daunting the whole process as it is, without having other friends going through it. You may have said already, but which course and college?
    Medicine at Trinity Hall

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Medicine at Trinity Hall

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's cool, three of my good friends got in for Medicine (crazy year), at Emmanuel, Downing and Open Offer, so you might be seeing them around next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    So 62/120 (50%) application rate is high. In my school it was 7/225 which is 3%. And in many other schools probably one applicant.

Just goes to show the differing amounts of support/ insight into the process there is. The task of balancing this in the decision making process ( for Cambridge) is not to be underestimated I think.

State schools unfortunately still lag behind in teaching to the required standards and encouraging students to apply to Oxbridge. 😒😞😞
    You're forgetting about different type/standard of the intakes to schools to start with, especially between selective schools and non-selective schools. And not all should be aiming to send their kids to top unis. Every school has its own mission, commitment and a raison d'etre in the society.
    There're many students who need an educational ground that is not as vigorous and demanding as competive schools.....and students with genuine academic potential need the environment that helps to achieve their full potential.

You have to have both. (Something a certain tribe of the left wing doesn't seem to understand or in complete denial. )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.