The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magnificat7
Ok, perhaps you could explain to me how to get rid of the irritating pop-up box on tsr that asks me whether I want to know more about clearing. (I don't.) I've tried tapping on "not interested" but it still reappears after a minute or so. Driving me mad. Endless rep coming your way if you can solve this 😩

Thank you!!

It rarely comes up for me now. Make sure your cookies aren't enabled mind, and perhaps Adblocker may help. :biggrin:
Original post by an_atheist
At least you wont potentially run into family if you get into Cambridge though. Unlike myself (slightly tenuous though it is)

You're right on that one.... Although head of science at my old school is debating trying to run a school trip to Cambridge with the new year 12 science cohort in like November to try and inspire them to aim high (Oxbridge applicants are one every 5 years and I'm the first for science)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Think I might ring up York if I'm in clearing because there is a lecturer who I email and she REALLY likes me :lol: I'll be like "please please please I've had the worst mid-year of my life just let me go to a uni that I will be happy at I will do you proud"

As my mum said, if we mention where we declined their offers for they might give us a place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xphoenix
Yeah I had this today seeing a few friends with IB results... Think I've missed both Cambridge and my insurance :frown:

Actually want to cry knowing that I'll be really close to the A* in several subjects but won't actually have the two I need and feel missing hte offer by 2 is too much for them to consider despite being close in UMS

EDIT: For those who gave you offers earlier but you declined, is it worth crawling back to them? (Even if not in clearing)- not much appeals right now there but obvs may change come results day

I'm certainly going to try, I was offered an unconditional place at UEA if I firmed them and obvs declined it but if the worst happens will be telling them where I declined their offer for... It's worth a try, particularly if the course you declined is in clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now I am thinking of how much I have failed my exams and screwed them up ughhh

Are examiners usually nice or mean :bawling:

My old teachers reckon that if it's the first year of the new spec, slightly more people will do better because they will want the specifications to seem comparable in difficulty, even if grade boundaries are lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3465
Original post by rayofsunshine98
My old teachers reckon that if it's the first year of the new spec, slightly more people will do better because they will want the specifications to seem comparable in difficulty, even if grade boundaries are lower.

Yup, that is the common view. Or at least results in line with prior years, certainly not many fewer getting A*/A.
Amazed that some of you have applied to both Cambridge and UAE. Wouldn't it irritate you to be so close to your first choice? Tbh I would go to UCL or Durham or somewhere far away so I don't have to be constantly reminded of Cambridge. Plus, if you got an offer from Cambridge you probably got offers from Unis with better party scenes/ rankings than UAE. I doubt any of you will have to beg UAE to let you in. Not trying to sound entitled but it's like missing a harvard offer and having to beg to get into Boston Uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3467
Original post by Socratesfam
Amazed that some of you have applied to both Cambridge and UAE. Wouldn't it irritate you to be so close to your first choice? Tbh I would go to UCL or Durham or somewhere far away so I don't have to be constantly reminded of Cambridge. Plus, if you got an offer from Cambridge you probably got offers from Unis with better party scenes/ rankings than UAE. I doubt any of you will have to beg UAE to let you in. Not trying to sound entitled but it's like missing a harvard offer and having to beg to get into Boston Uni.

Norwich isn't that near to Cambridge.

I do find it a bit cheeky when ARU students are having their graduation photos taken outside King's though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3468

As someone who lived near Norwich and went to Cambridge for uni, they're quite far apart. Especially when you consider that there's no motorway between them.

Have you actually been to Cambridge or Norwich?
They look and feel very different, especially the area where UEA is. Not much to remind you of the other..........

And if you're a sort of person who'd apply to Cambridge, probably how a party scene is like is not your priority in choosing a uni, and rankings are not the best indication of quality of teaching you get or if you like their course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3470
Original post by vincrows
They look and feel very different, especially the area where UEA is. Not much to remind you of the other..........

Even their student paper is called Concrete.
Original post by alow
Even their student paper is called Concrete.

Yeah, I've heard about it. I know a few people who went there and one of my friend's been a visiting professor to UEA for a long time. I visited her a few times, even had a privilege to see what it's like in the Concrete. :biggrin:
But it's not just their building. The atmosphere of the towns are very different, too.

((to be fair, quite a few of Cambridge colleges have ugly concrete accommodation built in the same period, too, if I remember correctly, I think one of Cambridge colleges' accommodation was designed by the same architect as UEA's.)

And if you're a sort of person who'd apply to Cambridge, probably how a party scene is like is not your priority in choosing a uni, and rankings are not the best indication of quality of teaching you get or if you like their course.
Are you joking? When I left my interview the first two people I ran into at the Coach stop were UEA students and one woman applying to Murray Edwards. The cab driver from the station even asked me if I was applying to UEA.
As an unconditional offer holder, I think I quality as "the sort of person who'd apply to Cambridge", and I can tell you I'm very much concerned with both rankings and nightlife. Not all cambridge students are hermetic, ascetic scholars who abhor fun and larks. I think you're romanticising a bit. We are just regular students looking to learn and have fun at the same time.
Are you joking? When I left my interview the first two people I ran into at the Coach stop were UEA students and one woman applying to Murray Edwards. The cab driver from the station even asked me if I was applying to UEA.
As an unconditional offer holder, I think I quality as "the sort of person who'd apply to Cambridge", and I can tell you I'm very much concerned with both rankings and nightlife. Not all cambridge students are hermetic, ascetic scholars who abhor fun and larks. I think you're romanticising a bit. We are just regular students looking to learn and have fun at the same time.

Use google map to check how far apart Norwich and Cambridge are. It takes 1 1/2 hr by car......

You must be mixing up UEA / ARU......
Reply 3474
if I remember correctly, I think one of Cambridge colleges' accommodation was designed by the same architect as UEA's.)

Correct :wink:

You must be mixing up UEA / ARU......

I think so too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Correct :wink:

I think so too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

And OP thinks I'm romanticising about Cambridge........lol
(edited 6 years ago)
And OP thinks I'm romanising about Cambridge........lol
I definitely mixed up ARU with UEA. That being said, the idea that cambridge students don't care about nightlife or rankings is nonsense. I'd wager Cambridge students are obsessive about rankings in general. I definitely got that impression in the JCR
JCR.
Just saying but I think Durham would remind you more of Cambridge than UEA :holmes:
I definitely mixed up ARU with UEA. That being said, the idea that cambridge students don't care about nightlife or rankings is nonsense. I'd wager Cambridge students are obsessive about rankings in general. I definitely got that impression in the JCR
JCR.

I didn't say Cambridge students didn't care night life. I said it's probably not their priority. If it is, theyd be very disappointed when they start living in Cambridge. :wink:

And I'm quite familiar with Cambridge students and Cambridge. :wink:

So where's are you from?
I'm guessing you're not from UK?
(edited 6 years ago)
Just saying but I think Durham would remind you more of Cambridge than UEA :holmes:

And Hogwarts.
Better get over the disappointment an owl didn't come with a letter of admission.......
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending