Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Socratesfam)
    I thoroughly enjoyed it until I participated.
    I do hope that problem isn't a regular feature of your life.

Cheerio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Hmmm, I seem to recall its first principle: Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.
    It does. Which is where I put Carnegie down; it's a rather hollow friendship if you can't express your true feelings. Much more a trump aide relationship than platonic friendship.

ReputationRep:
    I do hope that problem isn't a regular feature of your life.

Cheerio.
    Now that was a droll putdown done well. You've excelled yourself.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I seem to recall its first principle: Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.
    I think I need to reread it again. I've reverted back to complaining about everything in life lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    I think I need to reread it again. I've reverted back to complaining about everything in life lol
    I complain all the time online :lol: In 'real life', I rarely complain. Weird.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Christ, all this talk of Star Wars, Harry Potter and Pokemon makes me wonder if I spoke too soon when I said we're not all stereotypical nerds. I didn't envisage the brightest young minds in the country being so enamoured of this infantile stuff. I mean I'm partial to some star wars but Pokemon???
    Pokemon is great ok
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Yeah, I am haha. No, I'm sure you won't. I'm not gonna bring my DS or something to uni. I haven't even touched it since the Christmas holidays, I was just defending myself. My interests are still very nerdy but only when you get to know me or chat to me on TSR where I just don't give a cr*p about someone over the internet thinking I'm a huge nerd. I keep my nerdy stuff to myself, except where history, philosophy, politics, etc etc is concerned.
    **** that I'm taking my DS
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I shall. I hope you enjoy continued success as a moderator of a great thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it until I participated.
    All the best.
    Top tip: try not to be as unpleasant in october, you wont make many friends
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    **** that I'm taking my DS
    Me too then

I'm 99.9% certain you play Pokémon, right? Battle during freshers? :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pokemon is great ok
    Definitely!!! (Mind my last message i only just saw this post!)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Me too then

I'm 99.9% certain you play Pokémon, right? Battle during freshers? :lol:
    Yes, well will meet up

ReputationRep:
    Top tip: try not to be as unpleasant in october, you wont make many friends
    And to think I was rooting for you: I still remember you from my personality type thread. I make one inane comment about a 3+ game and everyone reacts like I'm a Nazi and I'm the unpleasant one?
    Top tip: if you spent less time being a cry baby on TSR, you might have actually hit your offer. Good luck in York. And now you really can call me unpleasant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    And to think I was rooting for you: I still remember you from my personality type thread. I make one inane comment about a 3+ game and everyone reacts like I'm a Nazi and I'm the unpleasant one?
    Top tip: if you spent less time being a cry baby on TSR, you might have actually hit your offer. Good luck in York. And now you really can call me unpleasant
    Wow, this is just sad

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is just sad
    Oh, you mean you dislike being patronised? Well, so do I. Fortunately, well never have to meet. Save your pro tips for your York buddies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh, you mean you dislike being patronised? Well, so do I. Fortunately, well never have to meet. Save your pro tips for your York buddies.
    I thought you were leaving. .
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    I complain all the time online :lol: In 'real life', I rarely complain. Weird.
    There's no problem in complaining, or as I prefer to think of it: "straight talking". But Carnegie is actually a sales-person and his book is really a manual to help people make sales. Complaining or condemning a potential client/customer is obviously not a good strategy

That said, wandering into a room and complaining/condemning some of the people inside is also not a good strategy either - and to then backtrack and say, aw guys I didn't really mean like that, is disingenuous at best.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mate just calm down....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's no problem in complaining, or as I prefer to think of it: "straight talking". But Carnegie is actually a sales-person and his book is really a manual to help people make sales. Complaining or condemning a potential client/customer is obviously not a good strategy

That said, wandering into a room and complaining/condemning some of the people inside is also not a good strategy either - and to then backtrack and say, aw guys I didn't really mean like that, is disingenuous at best.
    Absolutely! Arguably, is it slightly gaslighting and manipulative if you backtrack like that? In a serious and ongoing situation, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, I miss all the good stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zippidee)
    Oh man, I miss all the good stuff.
    Now you can catch up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.