Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Easier said than done for the humanities and arts subjects like English Literature
    TOTALLY agree. My sister missed her Oxford offer because a paper she was supposed to get an A* on came back with a D (English). They got the script back and it was considered "a sophisticated analysis of the text" leaving the exam board (OCR) and the college to conclude that the examiner just 'wasn't thinking straight that day'. She had run out of time to appeal by that point. So, I have quite a dim view of humanities examiners (until they prove me wrong with my results). ☺
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    60-40 on 9 July is goooood! I hear C4 was a bit of a mare for a few people this year. I'm appalling at maths, so I'm impressed regardless - I was a biological natsci after doing Law (yes) in my first year - and I survived the horrors of QB.
    I'm going to sound like an idiot, whats QB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    I'm going to sound like an idiot, whats QB?
    Quantitative Biology. AKA the seventh circle of hell :shock:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Quantitative Biology. AKA the seventh circle of hell :shock:
    Sounds like fun. What sort of stuff does that entail, if it doesnt bring up too many bad memories :lol:?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like fun. What sort of stuff does that entail, if it doesnt bring up too many bad memories :lol:?
    Taylor and Maclaurin series :cry:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Taylor and McLaurin series :cry:
    Ah. They're easy to mess up, especially with longer functions.
    oddly i find Taylor expansions easier than McLaurin

ReputationRep:
    Ah. They're easy to mess up, especially with longer functions.
    oddly i find Taylor expansions easier than McLaurin
    Same!!! I was so mad that our fp2 this year had maclaurin

ReputationRep:
    Taylor and Maclaurin series :cry:
    Would you suggest self teaching some FM modules over summer to help out with that? Or anything else for that matter to do over summer for a bionatsci?

ReputationRep:
    I know it isn't good to dwell on missed offers here BUT is anyone fretting about accommodation if they go to their insurance Uni ? My insurance(Birmingham) is making it painfully clear that insurance/clearing people have little or no chance of getting into halls. It's just adding to the stress of making my Cambridge offer really. Am I being an idiot ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazing11)
    TOTALLY agree. My sister missed her Oxford offer because a paper she was supposed to get an A* on came back with a D (English). They got the script back and it was considered "a sophisticated analysis of the text" leaving the exam board (OCR) and the college to conclude that the examiner just 'wasn't thinking straight that day'. She had run out of time to appeal by that point. So, I have quite a dim view of humanities examiners (until they prove me wrong with my results). ☺
    Humanities grading can be so random I stg. The difference between an A and a C for example should generally be obvious barring weird cases like your sister (and a friend of mine who got a B in philosophy a couple marks from an A, got it remarked and went down to a low C and appealed and went up to a high A), but what aspect of argumentation or analysis tips a high A into an A* or vice-versa?

At the same time, it would be tough being a maths applicant who roughly knew they'd done badly because of the unofficial mark schemes :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    Would you suggest self teaching some FM modules over summer to help out with that? Or anything else for that matter to do over summer for a bionatsci?
    Hi Are you an offer holder for Bio natsci? If you are, and you haven't done FM but just Maths, then you'll be doing QB as well (I presume they still call it that) and I think your idea is sound. Don't overburden yourself with it, but if you can do some stuff like this, plus ensuring your basic calculus is sound, it'll really help you and just give you a bit of a boost come Michaelmas. I wouldn't, though, spend all summer ploughing through a load of maths instead of enjoying yourself - it isn't 'necessary' in any way - just a bit of a bonus.

What are you planning on doing as a biological NatSci - cells, PoO, E&B and QB?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
    My friends brother is the President of the Oxford Pokémon society and says it's a right laugh!
    :lol: dedication! My friend is President of the Cambridge Sci-Fi society Or was, I don't know if he'll continue into third year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Are you an offer holder for Bio natsci? If you are, and you haven't done FM but just Maths, then you'll be doing QB as well (I presume they still call it that) and I think your idea is sound. Don't overburden yourself with it, but if you can do some stuff like this, plus ensuring your basic calculus is sound, it'll really help you and just give you a bit of a boost come Michaelmas. I wouldn't, though, spend all summer ploughing through a load of maths instead of enjoying yourself - it isn't 'necessary' in any way - just a bit of a bonus.

Yes I am! Oh, are you not able to do maths A in first year without further maths? I was under the impression that you could, but I'll have to check again - either way I'll probably end up doing the bio maths option.
    As for modules, the only 2 I'm certain of at the moment is chem and cells, still undecided between EnB and PoO, they both sound so interesting 😭 PoO would be more useful if I want to go down a more medical route in future so I might go with that, but I've been reading a lot of books on anthropology and evolution so now EnB appeals to me even though I was always set on doing PoO. Decisions decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am! Oh, are you not able to do maths A in first year without further maths? I was under the impression that you could, but I'll have to check again - either way I'll probably end up doing the bio maths option.
    I don't know either way about that - the tripos structure has changed a bit since I did it (not a million years ago, but things change)

As for modules, the only 2 I'm certain of at the moment is chem and cells, still undecided between EnB and PoO, they both sound so interesting 😭 PoO would be more useful if I want to go down a more medical route in future so I might go with that, but I've been reading a lot of books on anthropology and evolution so now EnB appeals to me even though I was always set on doing PoO. Decisions decisions!
    Everyone, like everyone enjoys E&B - it's taught brilliantly and there's so much interesting content. I also enjoyed PoO, and if you're thinking of doing that, then I recommend in the summer you revise membrane physiology, understand the Nernst equation and have a good basic knowledge of capacitance, current, voltage and all that electrical physics which bionatscis can sometimes lack. As for E&B, I recommend you read The Selfish Gene and the Blind Watchmaker if you haven't already (which I'm sure you have)!

ReputationRep:
    U can do Maths A without FM dw. Although u may struggle a little from
    Seeing some of my friends

ReputationRep:
    Really feeling me up with confidence... For both Geography and Econ, I used stuff not in the syllabus...

Hope I don't get penalised... I'll know if I get anything lower though I think. Just wondering did your sister get in either that year or deferred?

(Original post by blazing11)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    Really feeling me up with confidence... For both Geography and Econ, I used stuff not in the syllabus...

Hope I don't get penalised... I'll know if I get anything lower though I think. Just wondering did your sister get in either that year or deferred?
    She had no insurance as Oxford was her lowest offer but luckily a VC of another uni got to hear of her situation through OCR (I think other students were also affected by this examiner) and he offered her a place at his uni.

ReputationRep:

"what are ur plans for summer?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    "what are ur plans for summer?"
    Not ploughing through maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yup, that is the common view. Or at least results in line with prior years, certainly not many fewer getting A*/A.
    Just got to keep hoping

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.