The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3780
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Eat a meal with your DoS and your coursemates. That's about it I think, maybe a drinks reception beforehand.

How do you take part in university challenge? Is there a club to join?
Original post by 11234
How do you take part in university challenge? Is there a club to join?

I think there are usually trials at some point if the college are going to enter. I'm not sure really...
Original post by 11234
What do you do in matriculation dinner? Do you have to drink wine from like a cows horn? I read up somewhere that you have to do something like that

Haha noo

Some drinking societies might have that in their initiation though :erm:

But again, all you do is have a meal with your DoS and coursemates.

It'll be very strange, but how strange it is depends on your college I suppose. I don't think I'll ever forget mine and the first time I heard the gong and the grace, we all just looked at each other like 'what on earth is going on?' :lol:
Original post by 11234
What do you do in matriculation dinner? Do you have to drink wine from like a cows horn? I read up somewhere that you have to do something like that

There was a horn at the Homerton matriculation dinner when I was there - we were told it was usually passed around everyone but in my matriculation year (2009) they didn't pass it around the hall due to swine flu.
Reply 3784
Original post by zippidee
There was a horn at the Homerton matriculation dinner when I was there - we were told it was usually passed around everyone but in my matriculation year (2009) they didn't pass it around the hall due to swine flu.

Yes I read that on wikipedia don't know whether to take that srsly
Original post by 11234

I don't know whether they still do it, but it definitely used to be a thing that was done. I just had a look on Wikipedia though and I can't remember being made to speak Anglo-Saxon phrases - I vaguely remember being told to do something to commemorate the occasion but I can't remember if that was just raising our glasses (mine was water) or actually saying something. It's all a bit unusual but you wouldn't be made to drink out of it if you didn't want to - just smile and pass it along if you encounter it.

As for University Challenge, Homerton (again, speaking for when I was there) advertised trials early in the first term. Anyone could sign up to take part.
Original post by 11234

I don't know whether they still do it, but it definitely used to be a thing that was done. I just had a look on Wikipedia though and I can't remember being made to speak Anglo-Saxon phrases - I vaguely remember being told to do something to commemorate the occasion but I can't remember if that was just raising our glasses (mine was water) or actually saying something. It's all a bit unusual but you wouldn't be made to drink out of it if you didn't want to - just smile and pass it along if you encounter it.

As for University Challenge, Homerton (again, speaking for when I was there) advertised trials early in the first term. Anyone could sign up to take part.

@physicsmaths will verify the tradition is still in practice
Reply 3787

I was just curious about uni challenge, I'm no way near good enough with general knowledge
Original post by 11234

Yeh they do still pass it around, more then half drink out of it speak some latin to each other and **** and then thats it. I didn't do it cause im not a tramp sharing with 200 pple lol
Reply 3789
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh they do still pass it around, more then half drink out of it speak some latin to each other and **** and then thats it. I didn't do it cause im not a tramp sharing with 200 pple lol

holy sht lool
Reply 3790

Do you have freshers fair at Cambridge? Or something like that. I hear you get free pizza
Reply 3791

What are you doing over the summer. Are you going over course material?
Reply 3792
Original post by 11234
Do you have freshers fair at Cambridge? Or something like that. I hear you get free pizza

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3793

free piza?
Original post by 11234
free piza?

Yes.
Original post by 11234
free piza?

Yes but not given by the university.
It's Domino pizza's promotion thing.
And some societies try to lure freshers with free pizza too.
Original post by 11234

I really hope you get the result you need in August.
Otherwise all these new knowledge you obtained last few days will be wasted.......together with our time answering the questions. :tongue:
Reply 3797
Original post by vincrows
Otherwise all these new knowledge you obtained last few days will be wasted.......together with our time answering the questions. :tongue:

Yes it should be straightforward. Only STEP to worry about.... Oh....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes it should be straightforward. Only STEP to worry about.... Oh....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I start praying.....
Original post by vincrows

The time spent answering will probably help some of us in one way shape or form, so I wouldnt call it a totally wasted effort.

Latest

Trending

Trending