Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am currently anxious about the career prospects attainable through Cambridge by an international student. Anyone who can tell me otherwise? I know I should be thankful enough that I have gotten an offer, but on some days I feel so guilty and anxious that I consider transferring (ridiculous prices for internationals and not to mention the academic demands!) Anyway, sorry everyone for being out of the hype picture. I'm just looking for a few consoling words
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fontaine97)
    Hey guys, I am currently anxious about the career prospects attainable through Cambridge by an international student. Anyone who can tell me otherwise? I know I should be thankful enough that I have gotten an offer, but on some days I feel so guilty and anxious that I consider transferring (ridiculous prices for internationals and not to mention the academic demands!) Anyway, sorry everyone for being out of the hype picture. I'm just looking for a few consoling words
    Why do you think the career prospects for an international Cambridge graduate would be poor?

It's one of the most highly ranked universities in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you search your degree on the Cambridge uni website there will be a KIS section ( assume this means key information statistics). There will be link to UNISTATS which lists graduate outcomes. This is compiled by HEFCE which funds UK students so I am not sure if it applies to international students. However, it is a good start point and something to look at.

In the UK, no degree not even an Oxbridge one)is a golden ticket. Many factors determine a successful career, notwithstanding a little bit of luck. You should make sure you like your subject, that is so important.

I know of someone who strategically chose a less competitive subject just to get into Oxbridge. The student hates the lack of contact time ( it is a humanities subject which do have less contact time) the workload and feels fairly isolated. I feel sympathy for the student, I would hate to have chosen the wrong subject.

Cambridge is excellent, make sure you are going for the right reasons though. Best wishes. 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    .......e
    (Original post by 210555)
    Unfortunately the problem OP will have is a visa, not the name of university. Home Office doesn't give you a longer permit only because you went to Cambridge.
    .....Providing they're asking about a job prospect in UK after graduation, which I assume they are as they mentioned 'attainable through Cambridge'.

You mean a job prospect in UK after graduated?
    If so, not very easy for non-UK/EU citizens I'm afraid. Even with a degree from Cambridge, the prospect won't be same as that of graduates who are British or from EU. Unless you can find an employer within a certain period after finishing your course (4 months? Someone can correct me on this) who agrees to sponsor to gain a work permit, your tier 4 visa expires and you lose your right to stay in UK. To be honest, in general it's quite difficult to find an employer who is willing to do so as it's expensive and they can usually recruit someone from UK or EU who has right to work in UK without a permit.
    The only exceptions may be industries like finance/banking, architecture/built-environment, medicine where there's always a strong demand (and shortage) for talent and with firms/organisation that can afford to pay £5000(?) or so to obtaining a work permit for the employees. (And cost for renewing it every few years). But competition is quite fierce for these, too, and naturally you need to have appropriate qualification for the job.

I really want to say something assuring for you, but the situation is becoming more difficult compared to some years ago even for graduates from 'prestigious' unis like Cambridge in recent years (I'm talking about 5-6 years at least, though) I've seen many Cambridge (and other top uk universities')graduates who had to leave UK as they couldn't find a job within the restricted period.
    Very sorry I can't be very assuring.

If you're talking about the prospect in other countries, that's a completely different matter, though.

What are you reading at Cambridge? What sort of job are you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any aqa grade boundaries yet or shall I give up looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    Are there any aqa grade boundaries yet or shall I give up looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It seems not. "Leaked" ones are fake according to AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Ahem.... it's happening!

Good luck tomorrow for those awaiting their fate. You've been amazing, and will continue to be amazing.

For those who already have their places confirmed check this new home out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4881628
    Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2017!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks all for taking the time to write to me

(Original post by vincrows)
    What are you reading at Cambridge? What sort of job are you thinking?
    I am to read Chemical Engineering via NatSci, which of course means I'll be looking for jobs around that field But yeah, as much as it bothers me, I have to say I agree with you. I have considered working at other countries, however I have not garnered sufficient knowledge. Do you happen to know these things? Any insight will help, honestly.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

I am to read Chemical Engineering via NatSci, which of course means I'll be looking for jobs around that field But yeah, as much as it bothers me, I have to say I agree with you. I have considered working at other countries, however I have not garnered sufficient knowledge. Do you happen to know these things? Any insight will help, honestly.
    An engineering degree from Cambridge is accredited worldwide.

What is your home country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Gosh u have a good point. I haven't even thinking about that, cos I was just busy preparing for uni. Same situation here, I'm an international student too, also natsci btw.

ReputationRep:
    An engineering degree from Cambridge is accredited worldwide.

What is your home country?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm from Indonesia, which in my opinion does not hold in high regard Cambridge's worldwide reputation. Therefore, I'm planning to look for jobs in other places other than my country :/

(Original post by Cheryl____C)
    Gosh u have a good point. I haven't even thinking about that, cos I was just busy preparing for uni. Same situation here, I'm an international student too, also natsci btw.
    Hi, nice to meet you When are you arriving at Cambridge and at what college?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ahem.... it's happening!

Good luck tomorrow for those awaiting their fate. You've been amazing, and will continue to be amazing.

For those who already have their places confirmed check this new home out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4881628
    Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2017!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doubt I'll be joining that's tomorrow :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Indonesia, which in my opinion does not hold in high regard Cambridge's worldwide reputation. Therefore, I'm planning to look for jobs in other places other than my country :/

Hey nice to meet u too! I'm arriving on the 23 Sep and I'm at Newnham. What about u?

ReputationRep:

You're very welcome and really sorry what I had to tell you wasn't very encouraging but thought it'd be much better you properly understand the situation and can be prepared for the prospect than holding onto false hope and get disappointed when it's too late to do anything.

Chemical Engineering isn't too bad, actually. That's something Britain is quite good in, especially in pharmaceutical but in other fields, too, and there's always a good demand for talented people, esp in research. As a STEM graduate I *think* you're allowed to stay for 1 year after completion of your degree on (I think....) work experience basis. No guarantee you can get a permanent job after that, but at least you have one year to look for one.

So perhaps, if you really want to work in UK after leaving Cambridge, I think you should start researching for internship opportunity as early as possible and ideally start applying or at least contacting possible institutes/firms by the end of first year/beginning of second year. Probably (and hopefully) the university and/or your college can give you some advice and support on this.

You need to make your position as strong as possible well before graduating as you'll be competing against many other graduates from many universities (as well as cambridge itself) that's strong in Chemical Engineering, like Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, UCL, to name a few, and many of them don't need to obtain a work permit.

Other option is stay on at Cambridge or other uni to do PhD. That will increase your chance of getting a job considerably and it's easier to get scholarship (or other form of financial supports) for PhD than for undergraduate even you're international. Also you'll get to stay extra year (I think....) after completion of PhD to look for a job, too.........unless whoever in the government at the time of your graduation has changed Immigration Law, that is.....

But with a degree like Chemical Engineering and if it's from Cambridge, I'm sure you'll have a very good job prospect in other countries, too, possibly much easier than in UK.
    You don't want to go back to your own country?

Edit; OK, so some conversation was going on while I was typing this.....
    Indonesia? Your country has a huge oil industry and that in mining, aren't there a lot of job opportunities for chemical engineers in those fields if you're interested in them?
    Also, chemical engineering in water treatment is rapidly developing field. Isn't there some prospect in that in your country, too?
    I have an architect friend who's specialized in conservation and development on natural/heritage sites who'd spend 3 years in Indonesia. He said things related to conservation/environmental issues is becoming a really big thing in Indonesia in recent years and the country needs a lot of talent who can help them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

There are currently 8 ChemEng alumni from Cambridge working in Indonesia (according to LinkedIn). I don't know how many Indonesian alumni are working elsewhere...

Cambridge won't hold you back. Visas, etc may do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i feel old when theres no results day to go to
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Cambridge think you could do it, they wouldn't have given you the offer if they didn't. Don't give up hope just yet, I remember feeling similar on Jan 11 waiting for the offer response

ReputationRep:
    It seems not. "Leaked" ones are fake according to AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd heard they weren't out until tomorrow but was hoping it wasn't true 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck mandem, I'm sure you'll be fine. I thought I wasn't going to get in the day before but I'm studying medicine here now so that feeling is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)

Fingers crossed you will. Go watch some tele.👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.