Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I've sent it but I got mid to low As all round. Pretty certain York is where I'm off to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't believe we live in a world where AAA can make you feel **** on results day.

It might take some time to adjust, but York is an incredible city (I applied to York St. John when I first used UCAS, because I really wanted to live in York but I didn't meet the foreign language requirements of the University of York for their English degree). I know a few people who went there (one when she didn't meet her Oxford offer) and the both loved their time there, have jobs and lives now, have friends they met there and wouldn't want to be without - if you do go there I'm sure you'll enjoy the course and the city and hopefully be able to look back on your results with the pride that you deserve to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Never thought it would feel this **** to go to such a great uni. Wish I got rejected in January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly AAA is excellent. I know you feel **** now. I happen to admire you for posting on here today, many wouldn't 😜. You are actually brave.

Now Cambridge is excellent BUT it isn't everything. What you have to remember is that there are over 300,000 students opening results today and we regular posters on this thread are an absolute tiny minority. We are definitely not representative of the student population as a whole. I sometimes wonder if we are all a little guilty of raising expectations on what it is like at Cambridge or any other RG university.

Now in reality there is very little difference between AAA and let's say A*AA and future employers will really not give a hoot. So I hope you will come to realise today that. " Hey I got AAA and am going to a fantastic uni, York I think?

When you get there in October you will meet loads of people just like you. I go to Durham ( the rejects uni) and we laugh and joke about our Oxbridge experience ( all different). I can honestly say that none of us would swap our uni right now and we have laughed about it.😜

There are advantages of not going to Oxbbridge too, I'll let you discover those for yourself. 😜

So I say congratulations to you, go to York and this time next year I guarantee you will be smiling about this. Very best wishes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I didn't. I had all my education, including university, in a country I'm originally from.

Spoiler:
    Show

But I have dozens of ex-cambridge students among people I know quite closely, including 5 in the family (I mean, the family I'm married to & hubby & daughter) ..

You are a Cambridge alum by association then. Cambridge runs through your family.

Nice one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    You are a Cambridge alum by association then. Cambridge runs through your family.

Nice one
    5 Cantabs from 4 different colleges.........
    Can you imagine how our Xmas lunch is like?
    Even worse, 3 of them were rowers, each for a different college......... Go figure......

ReputationRep:
    my predictions for my ums were way off, especially in S3 and FP2 where high boundaries stopped me from getting an A*
    My UMS: D1 - 84 (70), FP1 - 100 (100), FP2 - 80 (96), S1 - 91 (85), S2 - 100 (96) & S3 78 (90). actual (predicted)
    Think my raw marks were 70 in FP2 and 66 in S3, so I'm a bit peaked out not to get an A*

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long it takes for colleges to get back to near-misses?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    5 Cantabs from 4 different colleges.........
    Can you imagine how our Xmas lunch is like?
    Even worse, 3 of them were rowers, each for a different college......... Go figure......

I hope none was at St Johns, that would be sad

ReputationRep:
    I hope none was at St Johns, that would be sad
    Of course not!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Selwyn! Nobody knows much about it but it's lovely and doesn't get harrassed by the Tab 😂

Thanks vincrows 😂

Spoiler:
    Show

what do you have against Peterhouse out of interest? 😉
    Gosh! We're neighbours
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of course not!

Great!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheryl____C)
    Gosh! We're neighbours
    Which college did u get into?

ReputationRep:
    Which college did u get into?
    Newnham, just next to Selwyn
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehokay)
    Does anyone know how long it takes for colleges to get back to near-misses?
    You should hear today or tomorrow. If you're being put in the pool you will be told today and find out the results tomorrow in most cases, but it may be over the weekend.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheryl____C)
    Newnham, just next to Selwyn
    Nice, well done

ReputationRep:
    Great!

But unfortunately, and even worse, our God son chose to go to oxford......partly because his dad was at Cambridge on the same course as his.....

ReputationRep:
    Nice, well done

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to ask so many questions guys, just trying to deduce what is happening! Last one I promise; Imperial made me an unconditional offer on the 12th of August. I had to get an A in physics for that (to study physics and an A* in f maths as the only requirements). If they made me an unconditional offer, does that mean I got these or that they will accept say a B in physics? Many thanks and congratulations to everybody, regardless, you all worked hard and anyone can have a bad day!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

But unfortunately, and even worse, our God son chose to go to oxford......partly because his dad was at Cambridge on the same course as his.....
    Oh my God!!! Noooo. He has to explain to the Elders, why he chose to venture into enemy lands.

I hope he is happy with a 2nd rate education without the proper academic preparation that Cambridge would have given him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    You should hear today or tomorrow. If you're being put in the pool you will be told today and find out the results tomorrow in most cases, but it may be over the weekend.
    Thanks for your response!
    How will we be notified? Will it be through UCAS or via phone etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    Sorry to ask so many questions guys, just trying to deduce what is happening! Last one I promise; Imperial made me an unconditional offer on the 12th of August. I had to get an A in physics for that (to study physics and an A* in f maths as the only requirements). If they made me an unconditional offer, does that mean I got these or that they will accept say a B in physics? Many thanks and congratulations to everybody, regardless, you all worked hard and anyone can have a bad day!!
    I suspect that you have got an A or A* in physics...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.