The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteScythe
Sorry to ask so many questions guys, just trying to deduce what is happening! Last one I promise; Imperial made me an unconditional offer on the 12th of August. I had to get an A in physics for that (to study physics and an A* in f maths as the only requirements). If they made me an unconditional offer, does that mean I got these or that they will accept say a B in physics? Many thanks and congratulations to everybody, regardless, you all worked hard and anyone can have a bad day!!

If Cambridge is still conditional then it means they're still considering you, but whatever happens you have a place at Imperial. The only problem is that if you end up in Imperial, you'll want to sort out accommodation quickly as it's in an expensive part of London. If you'd rather go to Imperial, then tell Cambridge to release you so you can start confirming your accommodation.

If you can hang on (e.g. If money isn't an issue) then you're going to have to wait for Cambridge to get your results and make a decision. If you haven't already, call Cambridge to find out what's the situation as that will help you make a decision.
Reply 4361
Sorry to kill the positive energy but my offer for medicine was a*a*a and on results day i got a* a a but i was 1 mark off an a* in biology sent Cambridge my results do you think for medicine i have a chance of being accepted seeing how near i was to meet the offer.
Original post by mehokay
So if we don't get an update on UCAS or a call or email by tomorrow, should we assume that the University hasn't agreed to accepting us? Or will the university be in touch regardless of the decision?

You will hear one way or the other.
Any chances of getting into Cambridge with 3A*s despite being rejected post-interview? :bebored:
Original post by LennyBicknel
Any chances of getting into Cambridge with 3A*s despite being rejected post-interview? :bebored:

Yes if you there is a possibility re-apply for 2018 and get an offer after a gap year by turning down the offers from your firm uni.
Not for 2017 entry.
(edited 6 years ago)
3A* uno is alll mad 😤😤😤💯💯💯 #itseverydaybrowiththat3a*flow
#dabonmichaelgovewiththose*****yreforms
#cantsnakebothmeandboris
Got in !!!!! A*A*A* mad times over here amazing job y'all so proud of those who met their offers and big hugs to everyone still waiting XXXX
Original post by Roofy
Sorry to kill the positive energy but my offer for medicine was a*a*a and on results day i got a* a a but i was 1 mark off an a* in biology sent Cambridge my results do you think for medicine i have a chance of being accepted seeing how near i was to meet the offer.

This is all decided on a case-by-case basis. Your college will keep you informed.
Original post by LennyBicknel

Congrats, seems to happen a lot 😜 I "think" you would need to take a gap year and reapply for 2018 entry. Second time applicantts in your position would get an interview but you would have to go through the application process and, whilst it can result in an offer, there are no guarantees.

Well done and good luck with whatever you do.😀
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You should hear today or tomorrow. If you're being put in the pool you will be told today and find out the results tomorrow in most cases, but it may be over the weekend.

My daughter missed her offer by one grade (offer A*A*A, result A*AA).

However, her offer is for a deferred place for 2018. Does consideration of near-misses differ between current year students and deferred students?

Is there a standard policy or is it on a case-by-case or college-by-college basis? (Her offer is from Robinson).

Thanks
Original post by maca111
My daughter missed her offer by one grade (offer A*A*A, result A*AA).

However, her offer is for a deferred place for 2018. Does consideration of near-misses differ between current year students and deferred students?

Is there a standard policy or is it on a case-by-case or college-by-college basis? (Her offer is from Robinson).

Thanks

Case-by-case basis so no set policy and no set differences for consideration of direct and deferred entry applicants. Fingers crossed for your daughter!
Any hom maths?
Original post by Roofy

Do you think it's worth remarking? (A teacher's opinion would be ideal for this.) if so, and you can afford to, get it remarked to see if you can edge up. I think there is a limited summer pool for medicine, so you might still be in with a shot.P if UCAS still says conditional.

If you haven't already, call your first choice college to see if they can shed some light
Original post by Roofy

My sister is in the same boat and missed A* in bio by 5 UMS. Could you please update when you get a reply from Cambridge? Wishing you all the best!! :smile:
Original post by vincrows
:biggrin:

But unfortunately, and even worse, our God son chose to go to oxford......partly because his dad was at Cambridge on the same course as his.....:tongue:

I was just kidding with the "2nd rate education" comment. Of course, Oxford is a good university.
Well done everyone and enjoy the opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate oh my god I had an offer for medicine and this exact thing has happened to me except with the one mark off maths. I called my college and they were unwilling to even get my UMS marks despite having sent me an email a few weeks ago saying they'd want them in the case of a near miss - they'd already made up their mind. I'm so so unbelievably upset and my world is completely broken right now
Original post by Roofy
How long would the summer pool take on average?
Original post by Steliata
YAAAAAAASSSSSS QUEEN

*biggest high five*

SOOO pleased for you!!!! Congratulations!! My son met his offer too so you might see him out in Chester celebrating tonight!!
My daughter got her place! She didn't open track until she woke up at 11, by which time I'd taken the dog for three walks, got through several pots of coffee, and dead-headed every remotely imperfect flower in the garden. Proud mum and very happy girl 😊 (and the garden's looking unusually tidy too)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending