Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    What are the benefits of not going to Oxbridge?
    Not getting into which uni is best., sorry 😟

For me the ability to still do my hobby which is very time consuming. Not sure it would have been possible at Cambridge. Loads of non academic things for me. Oxbridge is great but it's not the be all and end all, let's reassure students of that today 😀
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    Not getting into which uni is best., sorry 😟

For me the ability to still do my hobby which is very time consuming. Not sure it would have been possible at Cambridge. Loads of non academic things for me. Oxbridge is great but it's not the be all and end all, let's reassure students of that today 😀
    True
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for this delayed reply!

(Original post by WhiteScythe)
    Turns out that the problem I'm having with my core practicals is a wider problem Doonesbury, my school say everyone in the year passed.
    As I suspected.

Do you know what the issue is with edexcel? Good luck to you.
    Potentially a major issue - PQ has detailed it in the OP here:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4826566
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to ask so many questions guys, just trying to deduce what is happening! Last one I promise; Imperial made me an unconditional offer on the 12th of August. I had to get an A in physics for that (to study physics and an A* in f maths as the only requirements). If they made me an unconditional offer, does that mean I got these or that they will accept say a B in physics? Many thanks and congratulations to everybody, regardless, you all worked hard and anyone can have a bad day!!
    I should probably assume this has already been applied but I'll answer anyway...

If you have an Unconditional then that's it... unconditional, without conditions.

(The only proviso is to have actually sat any exams you mentioned on your UCAS, but there's no requirement to actually pass them.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rossward)
    Got rejected from Cambridge ages ago without getting an interview but just wanna pop back to mention I got A*A*A*A and was 1 off an A* in that A :P
    Not bitter or anything jk I'm going to York which is fine
    That is outstanding!

A huge congratulations to you. York are lucky to have you.

All the best.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spange88)
    SOOO pleased for you!!!! Congratulations!! My son met his offer too so you might see him out in Chester celebrating tonight!!
    (Original post by Magnificat7)
    My daughter got her place! She didn't open track until she woke up at 11, by which time I'd taken the dog for three walks, got through several pots of coffee, and dead-headed every remotely imperfect flower in the garden. Proud mum and very happy girl 😊 (and the garden's looking unusually tidy too)
    W00t!!!!! Happy parents!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Interesting....
    Is it because of the new A-level reform?
    Was it like that when they introduced A* for the first time? My daughter was the second batch of students after the introduction of A*, so I've been wondering what sort of effect/s reforms like that would make on universities' admissions, esp. after a result days.
    Sorry, only just getting to TSR after busy busy day dealing with the results fall out. Yes, I think that colleges have reacted in different ways to the new A Levels and some have been more fortunate than others. We're full to the gunnels, as are a number of colleges, but I know that some colleges are in a worse situation than normal so those in the Summer Pool should not give up hope.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is annoying, A*AA (plus A* epq). Grrr, only a couple of marks off, now waiting for summer pool :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your grades , really excellent. I mean this really nicely, you are not unusual it happens a lot. 😜 I "think" lots of unis are looking or a " type" of student they think will fit into their culture. You will come across many students at York with equally good grades and I am sure will have a fab time. And there are benefits to not going to Oxbridge, trust me 😜😜

Though they are great unis 😀
    I promise you we aren't looking for a type. Sometimes we just make mistakes. Really well done to the OP on his results and I hope you have a great time in York, it's a wonderful city and a great university - one of the few places I'd happily be other than Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    Sorry, only just getting to TSR after busy busy day dealing with the results fall out. Yes, I think that colleges have reacted in different ways to the new A Levels and some have been more fortunate than others. We're full to the gunnels, as are a number of colleges, but I know that some colleges are in a worse situation than normal so those in the Summer Pool should not give up hope.
    Also may there be an element of fallout due to the new admissions tests and the lack of UMS? I know that the test results were viewed with caution by a lot of the colleges as they are new. It seems to me that the new A levels and their impact are a learning curve for everyone including admissions teams?

I assume some analysis may now take place on those who have missed offers and admissions tests etc. I am sure Cambridge will feedback any findings they consider future applicants may find useful. Thanks for the post on what I know is a busy day.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get in. Got BBB. Missed my insurance offer too but they let me in anyway. Don't know if I'm going to bother going. I'm getting remarks but doubt it will change anything

ReputationRep:
    Also may there be an element of fallout due to the new admissions tests and the lack of UMS? I know that the test results were viewed with caution by a lot of the colleges as they are new. It seems to me that the new A levels and their impact are a learning curve for everyone including admissions teams?

I assume some analysis may now take place on those who have missed offers and admissions tests etc. I am sure Cambridge will feedback any findings they consider future applicants may find useful. Thanks for the post on what I know is a busy day.
    Yes, I think that is an added complicating factor - we made about 30 more offers than normal this year across the College and have ended up with a similar (though slightly larger) number than usual making the offer. Colleges are having different experiences with their cover ratios.

Our uncertainly about what the assessments actually tell us plus the loss of UMS has made life harder. That said, we've always made mistakes, it's a human process and we quite often miss people who do really well in their A Levels and who would have done perfectly well here. You are trying to predict the future to some extent in admissions and that's never an exact science.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So I got A*A*A* which means I have safely secured my space! I shall promptly shuffle over to the freshers thread. I was not expecting this, I am shook. :hat2:Also thanks to all of the lovely messages, within the spoiler I have tried to reply to as many as I could. I also got between 95-100% in all of my exams, and the local paper is using me as a case study (though I told them to put in 'worlds biggest Coldplay fan' so I hope they do mention that fact...)

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Crazysue1)
    Huge, huge well done!
    Thanks so much Sue xx

(Original post by vincrows)
    Edited for you.

Congratulations!
    Hope you're deservedly much more confident with yourself now.
    Thank you so much! :hugs: I think I've really proved to myself I can do it now.

(Original post by Steliata)
    YAAAAAAASSSSSS QUEEN

*biggest high five*
    SEE YOU IN OCTOBER MY FRIEND! *biggest high five* We definitely have to meet up

:hugs: Thanks for being my rant buddy. Love you mate and we will definitely be meeting up since I live up North anyway!

(Original post by blazing11)
    Very well deserved ! So am I ! How shocking 😂😂
    Go us go! *high five*

(Original post by carpenoctem)
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Which college?

(I made it too yay)
    Murray Edwards

(Original post by bbglop)
    I haven't posted here in a long long time and didn't really plan to, but MASSIVE CONGRATS to Steamboat!!

We have never spoken to each other, but I, like many here have followed your journey these past months. You deserved this and I'm sure you'll have a smashing time in Cambridge. :happy2:
    Aw thanks so much! I really do appreciate all of the love and support yourself and others have shown me. I do hope I have a good time! I got a HUGE hug from the Oxbridge advisor and I was told to "have the most amazing three years" of my life. He said it'll be tough but I just secured 3 A*s so I think I am capable.

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Of course. Never. In. Doubt.

(Super fantastic well done Steamey! You got what you always deserved.)
    Honestly, I couldn't have done it without your support, and I think you've probably watched my confidence increase over the years. I'll do you proud, I promise!

ReputationRep:
    Do you happen to be wearing the same silly grin my youngest son has been wearing since about 10 this morning?

Massive well done to get 3 A*, testament to all the hard work you have put in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    Yes, I think that is an added complicating factor - we made about 30 more offers than normal this year across the College and have ended up with a similar (though slightly larger) number than usual making the offer. Colleges are having different experiences with their cover ratios.

Our uncertainly about what the assessments actually tell us plus the loss of UMS has made life harder. That said, we've always made mistakes, it's a human process and we quite often miss people who do really well in their A Levels and who would have done perfectly well here. You are trying to predict the future to some extent in admissions and that's never an exact science.
    Thanks so much, that's refreshing and nice to hear. It will help students who don't receive an offer and go on to do really understand it more 😀

ReputationRep:
    Got A*A*AA in Biology, English Literature, Maths and Chemistry in that order. Unfortunately I needed an A* in two of Biology, Chemistry or Maths so I missed my offer for medicine. I was 1.5% UMS off the A* for Maths Contacted my college and they basically told me it's all over. I was a complete wreck this morning but I'm coming to terms with it. I'm still going to Bristol to do a course I'm passionate about! It's just so hard because I built up this picture of the next six years of my life in Cambridge and now I'm at a loss. So, so close but yet so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elanor44)
    Got A*A*AA in Biology, English Literature, Maths and Chemistry in that order. Unfortunately I needed an A* in two of Biology, Chemistry or Maths so I missed my offer for medicine. I was 1.5% UMS off the A* for Maths Contacted my college and they basically told me it's all over. I was a complete wreck this morning but I'm coming to terms with it. I'm still going to Bristol to do a course I'm passionate about! It's just so hard because I built up this picture of the next six years of my life in Cambridge and now I'm at a loss. So, so close but yet so far.
    remark?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    remark?
    I am applying for remarks in C3 and C4 but my school told me not to hold out too much hope. I guess it's not like an essay subject, in Maths there's a strict mark scheme etc. I don't know I just don't want to be disappointed again

ReputationRep:
    My offer has been confirmed!

ReputationRep:
    My offer has been confirmed!
    Hooray! Congratulations 🎉

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.