Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Apparently it does happen. I asked the AT if it was possible in one of their AMAs. He said yes... and lo we have a real live example this cycle.

I think it's brilliant

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is completely bizarre but I'm not complaining!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends was rejected via Summer Pool. Kinda gutted for her

ReputationRep:
    Purely based on informal observations, there seems to have been a lot of people missing the offers/being pooled this year. There also seems to be fewer people with 4+ A*s for science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    Purely based on informal observations, there seems to have been a lot of people missing the offers/being pooled this year. There also seems to be fewer people with 4+ A*s for science subjects.
    @murraryedwards inferred yesterday there was more activity this year in the summer pool. Could very well be due to the new A levels and lack of UMS. You have to feel sorry for this year's students, well I do. Can't help feeling they have been the guinea pigs. For what little it's worth, I think all have done amazingly well whether they have achieved their offer or not. You and I had the cushion of going into our A2's with solid As's behind us, this year's students have not had that luxury. Hats off to them. 😀

ReputationRep:
    I exceeded my offer and I know a decent number of people who made theirs, a couple who didn't and one guy who got pooled to Girton. Still a little shocked; I think impostor syndrome is setting in already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coto524)
    I exceeded my offer and I know a decent number of people who made theirs, a couple who didn't and one guy who got pooled to Girton. Still a little shocked; I think impostor syndrome is setting in already?
    I get the feeling - I've been wanting to go to Cambridge for ages so the feeling of having done it is so strange!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)

I haven't seen anything like this in the past - granted, I haven't really been around TSR/Cambridge applicants for the past few years, but when I was on the offer-holder thread in 2009 I think I remember only 1 person missing their offer. And it was similar in the surrounding years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippidee)

I haven't seen anything like this in the past - granted, I haven't really been around TSR/Cambridge applicants for the past few years, but when I was on the offer-holder thread in 2009 I think I remember only 1 person missing their offer. And it was similar in the surrounding years.

It is what it is at the end of the day. At least students have their decisions by now. For those meeting their offers 😀😀😀😀😀

For those who didn't , I am 100% certain in one year's time you will be looking back and smiling to yourself. Perhaps you can contribute to the threads for next year's applicants and use your experiences to offer support and words of reassurance. You will all be fine 👍👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coto524)
    Imposter syndrome is really interesting to look at. For me at the moment I've taken my rejection as justification for those sorts of thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Seems roughly the same to last years thread to me, from informal observation of course.

ReputationRep:

before A* grades and offers I guess it was maybe easier for people to get AAA than the A*AA/A*A*A offers given nowadays
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

I'll try to have a look at the old Cambridge stats pdfs but I have a feeling the older ones only have applicants and acceptances, not offers.

Obviously it's "always" been like this for Maths though... but, yes, would be somewhat interesting to look at the other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VL100)
    It is completely bizarre but I'm not complaining!
    Especially if you've got this far yeah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amygracebroad)
    CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so proud of you and this whole journey you've been on, enjoy the celebrations
    Sorry I just saw this but thanks Amy!! Are you going to apply to Cambridge or reapply to Oxford??

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I just saw this but thanks Amy!! Are you going to apply to Cambridge or reapply to Oxford??
    You're welcome!!! I also got A*A*A* and I'm going to reapply to Oxford, but for English
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amygracebroad)
    You're welcome!!! I also got A*A*A* and I'm going to reapply to Oxford, but for English
    Hey thats awesome!! Glad there was no more nasty grade surprises for us haha. Keep me updated please, I'm rooting for you!!

ReputationRep:
    The wait for the remarks is agonising. I hate myself. I've messed up. There's no way they'll go up enough to meet my offer. The best I can hope for is them to go up just enough to allow me to reapply in conjunction an extenuating circumstances form. I'm such an idiot. I am, I am. I don't want to go to my insurance. I'm not ready.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    I'll try to have a look at the old Cambridge stats pdfs but I have a feeling the older ones only have applicants and acceptances, not offers.

Obviously it's "always" been like this for Maths though... but, yes, would be somewhat interesting to look at the other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Had a look back at 2011-2016, typically 250-300 annually put into the summer pool and 50-80 accepted (25% acceptance rate). Approx 1/3rd are Mathmos. It does seem the Summer Pool is getting slightly bigger each year though.

Make up of Summer Pool Acceptances in 2016
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 20.24.51.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  182.8 KB

I'm not convinced 2017 is hugely different tbh, but we'll know in due course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway XYZ)
    The wait for the remarks is agonising. I hate myself. I've messed up. There's no way they'll go up enough to meet my offer. The best I can hope for is them to go up just enough to allow me to reapply in conjunction an extenuating circumstances form. I'm such an idiot. I am, I am. I don't want to go to my insurance. I'm not ready.
    Please do try and give yourself a break. I understand how devastating this will seem to you now (when I had to leave Cambridge 8 years ago due to illness I wrote the email detailing my decision to leave in floods of tears) but you do have a good university place lined up and you did far better than many, many people can hope to do in their A levels. It may seem like the end of the world now - and you'll have to take the time you need to process this, and deal with whatever happens, whether you decide to take some time out and reapply to universities next year, ask your uni to defer your place, or go ahead with your degree next month, but the fact is that if you want to you have the ability to study for, and pass, a degree within the next 3-4 years.

Cambridge won't matter in the grand scheme of things. You might even find yourself there in the future - working, living, or studying (I definitely never thought I'd be going back when I wrote that email at 19 - I didn't think I'd be going back this time last year), or you might find yourself somewhere else enjoying yourself just as much as you would have enjoyed yourself had you gone to Cambridge at this point. With your university place you have the ability to start afresh now - plan for your degree, put the work in, and create a life for yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.