Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportysam)
    He needed 2A*s ( in specific subjects)and 2As to meet offer but did not get the A* in one of the specific subjects. May still consider a remark.
    That's frustrating! Which course was it?

And the specified subject, and how close was his mark?

If he receives a successful remark before 31st August his college will honour the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Read OP. It says your extenuating circumstances reasoning for unsatisfactory result on/after result day is not accepted.
    Read what? Okay even if it isn't accepted after results day, how would they know someone didn't just make up their extwnuating circumstances and in reality they just had a bad exam day? Also how do you submit this stuff? Do you just email
    THe college?

ReputationRep:
    I recall back in my day, some places were only offered literally the week before term started, so it's possible that colleges will keep a few spaces open to allow for successful re-markees without having to bust their room allocations. I've yet to hear the fate of Cambridge offer-holder-missers from DD's school, but there were a lot of them (about 25%). Oxford seem to be a lot more lenient - I've heard of ABC being accepted for a notional AAA offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    Read what? Okay even if it isn't accepted after results day, how would they know someone didn't just make up their extwnuating circumstances and in reality they just had a bad exam day? Also how do you submit this stuff? Do you just email
    THe college?
    OP = opening post = post #1 of this thread.

Wil have to ask actual admission people for the second question, but if it's a medical reason, like being sick on the exam day or just before, I'd think they'd expect you (your school) to produce a proper note from your doctor.
    If it's a grievance of someone close to you, like a family member, they *may*'want to see a death certificate.(?)
    For other circumstances which is difficult to prove, I'm not sure.......and I'm interested how, too.

They have an official extenuating circumstances form which your school (or doctor' right other in official position), not you, when you submit your application.
    Not quite sure they use the same form after application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    I recall back in my day, some places were only offered literally the week before term started, so it's possible that colleges will keep a few spaces open to allow for successful re-markees without having to bust their room allocations. I've yet to hear the fate of Cambridge offer-holder-missers from DD's school, but there were a lot of them (about 25%). Oxford seem to be a lot more lenient - I've heard of ABC being accepted for a notional AAA offer.
    Is 'your day' somewhat similar to my husband's days? ('70s?)
    Things are very very different now, as you must be well aware from your daughter's experience. He was completely useless in advising our daughter on Cambridge application,,...... His brother was a tiny bit better as his younger daughter was there a few years previously, but still.........

It's not because of successful remark, but I know a case one fresher was allocated to a room in another quarter of the college (a guestrooom or one for postgrad, I can't remember) for some technical reason but they were charged standard freshers accommodation rent, so I'm guessing that's how it happens with such a case.

ReputationRep:
    FWIW, you only start dealing with accomodation on the 7th or so of September at King's. The fresher accomodation also usually always has some space left over, so I guess it's another case of 'depends on the college'
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    I always wondered what the process is to submit extenuating circumstances for a specific exam or set of exams you didn't feel well on. Do you just send an email to your college saying you were ill or something? Do you do it right after you sat the exam? Or do you do it on results day?

How does the college know you're telling the truth? I mean wouldn't just everyone send in extenuating circumstances after a bad exam to get through in case of a mess up? Not doubting anyone specific, just wondering.
    OP = opening post = post #1 of this thread.

Wil have to ask actual admission people for the second question, but if it's a medical reason, like being sick on the exam day or just before, I'd think they'd expect you (your school) to produce a proper note from your doctor.
    If it's a grievance of someone close to you, like a family member, they *may*'want to see a death certificate.(?)
    For other circumstances which is difficult to prove, I'm not sure.......and I'm interested how, too.

They have an official extenuating circumstances form which your school (or doctor' right other in official position), not you, when you submit your application.
    Not quite sure they use the same form after application.
    As per Vincrows, the confirmation needs to come from an "official" not you. They can either use the Cambridge ECF (linked) or just email the admissions team at your college (usually this would be done by your referee).

This can actually be done at any time but sooner rather than later is best and, for example, doing it after being rejected by the university is too late...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    FWIW, you only start dealing with accomodation on the 7th or so of September at King's. The fresher accomodation also usually always has some space left over, so I guess it's another case of 'depends on the college'
    Fresher accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Fresher accomodation?
    The accommodation freshers get to choose: Keynes and Spalding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The accommodation freshers get to choose: Keynes and Spalding.
    You can't say 'always' you know? Total number of freshers can fractuate slightly every year for various reasons.
    Some years maybe some left over rooms, some years full up.

ReputationRep:
    Is 'your day' somewhat similar to my husband's days? ('70s?)
    Mid 80's, me... A youngster! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Total number of freshers can fractuate slightly every year for various reasons.
    Great word, fractuate!

ReputationRep:
    Great word, fractuate!
    Sorry, I meant fluctuate.......

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I meant fluctuate.......
    Maybe, but fractuate is a real word and likely means moreorless the right thing, too! I honestly thought it was deliberate (albeit showing off!)
    http://www.definition-of.com/fractuate

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but fractuate is a real word and likely means moreorless the right thing, too! I honestly thought it was deliberate (albeit showing off!)
    http://www.definition-of.com/fractuate
    Wel, in that case please ignore my correction.

I used to be in financial market, so 'fluctuate' is th word I'm more familiar with.....and shouldn't have made the mistake.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    REMARKED TO A*AA! I'M GOING TO CAMBRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome back to the club

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow!!! That's amazing congratulations!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fantastic news!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done. You have done well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.