Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    That face when your bait is a little too strong...

18 notifications, my goodness...
    Name:  1378960_1280x720.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  41.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens
    Yay, but I'd strongly advise planning out potential essays by using those notes as well. Having the knowledge is one thing, but being able to organise and utilise it within the context of a question is another. My mock went well (I think) as I had planned lots of potential, broad, thematic questions that could've come up, and in the end some did.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That face when your bait is a little too strong...

Your grovelling apology is accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Sample size of 14........

And something tells me polling result here does not quite represent how things are in the real world........
    For god sake, you know very well Cambridge forum posters are much more active than Oxford posters!!
    It's like a boat race between a boat with full crew of 8 powerful rowers & a very enthusiastic cox and a boat with 4 or 5 lethatgic rowers with a cox with no sense of direction!

Spoiler:
    Show

.Wish real Boat Race were like that........

Btw do guys in the other place's forum know about the poll?
    Or have you just liked it in this forum?
    If so, keep,it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You need to do well enough to progress to the MMath.

I think that's standard.

physicsmaths Zacken ?
    Yep

harlem_basket
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Btw do guys in the other place's forum know about the poll?
    Or have you just liked it in this forum?
    If so, keep,it that way.

I'm expecting a Dark Blue win eventually.

But I'm sure fablereader and wolfmoon88 will vote the Light Blue way anyway...

Relinking the poll - coz it brok
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4516442

ReputationRep:
    That face when your bait is a little too good...

If only back-pedalling was an Olympic sport, you'd win gold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    :rofl::rofl: PRSOM
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That face when your bait is a little too good...

Uh huh. I call ********.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm expecting a Dark Blue win eventually.

But I'm sure fablereader and wolfmoon88 will vote the Light Blue way anyway...

Relinking the poll - coz it brok
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4516442
    I have been summoned. I will leave now. Thanks for informing me about this! I'll try to make sure my side knows.

ReputationRep:
    My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens
    Hope this helps (it has for others doing essay-based subjects):

1. Facts.

Flash cards - but with a twist. It's called spaced repetition (based upon how we memorise). Make your flash cards (for remembering dates, names, places or anything factual based). You are going to have six piles - day 1, day 2, day 4, day 10, day 20, day 50. All cards start in day 1, memorise and those that you have memorised go into day 2, those that you got wrong stay in day 1. Next day those correct on day 2 move to day 4, those that are incorrect move BACK to day 1... then continue to progress cards through the complete system. Do the process daily.

A very, very strong method for remembering facts.

2. Essays.

a) Most days practice writing essay plans (not the essays) for a whole variety of possible questions. Do each in 10 mins (to mimic exam conditions). Drive up your expertise in essay planning.

b) Write an essay in response to a topic question. One a day (yes, every day). Obviously you are going to practice your own board's essays. Also do other boards' that relate to your topics. Make up relevant questions and then write an essay in response. Have your teacher mark some of them. Make this your top priority.

So, you have two strong techniques, one for fact based revision and the other(s) for essay based revision.

The very best of luck.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by liziepie)
    Back-rowing IS an Olympic sport.

Maybe Abstract_Prism will get a Blue in rowing backwards.

ReputationRep:
    Abstract_Prism According to LinkedIn

Oxford law alumni working in London: 2,801
    Top employers: Freshfields (61), Linklaters (54), Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, HSF, Hogan Lovells, Slaughter & May.

Cambridge : 3,226
    Top employers: Linklaters (67), Freshfields (56), HSF, Allen & Overy, Slaughter & May, Clifford Chance

Same old same old...
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0arbute)
    ah, mine's Queens. Yeah I have an interview for edinburgh for the same day as you haha just thinking whether or not to still go as I live in London so it would be a huge trek. My second choice would be for sure RVC
    Well let me know if you do go to Edinburgh! I am from Suffolk so massive trek too but will probes just fly. See you at the Cambridge vet offer day if you're going![/QUOTE]

yup, will do. this is going to sound so weird but what vet offer day are you talking about? I didn't get told about it.......................
    awks

ReputationRep:

Hey , I always revised by writing out notes – not necessarily very pretty or organised notes, but I just wrote them out in a way I could understand, writing down any connections I could make to remember dates, the names of battles, etc. (this is kind of a mnemonic technique, I guess).

Other than that, I would always sort of explain the topics I had to learn to myself out loud. It's a good way of testing yourself and I always found it made me remember facts better!!

ReputationRep:
    You need to do well enough to progress to the MMath.

I think that's standard.

physicsmaths Zacken ?
    Yep.
    Basically if you get a first u will be allowed if 2:1 u need to be considered by thr facaulty. U need to be hogh 2:1 tbh

ReputationRep:
    Name:  bingo.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  169.9 KB
    how's this for the bridge of meme
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Yep.
    Basically if you get a first u will be allowed if 2:1 u need to be considered by thr facaulty. U need to be hogh 2:1 tbh
    Safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilS)
    Name:  bingo.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  169.9 KB
    how's this for the bridge of meme
    I imagine you can come up with one of these for just about every course! Personal statements can get terribly generic from what I've read in the TSR wiki "personal statements used to apply to Cambridge"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)
    I imagine you can come up with one of these for just about every course! Personal statements can get terribly generic from what I've read in the TSR wiki "personal statements used to apply to Cambridge"
    Hahaha, got the idea from liziepie originally but those are exactly what I read through to make this :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.