Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilS)
    Attachment 612772
    how's this for the bridge of meme
    Having read personal statements of friends who applied for NatSci I can safely say how accurate that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Having read personal statements of friends who applied for NatSci I can safely say how accurate that is
    Having written one myself I am guilty too

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 612772
    dear god I scored 8 (when the SAQ is included), I'm so cliché...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    dear god I scored 8 (when the SAQ is included), I'm so cliché...
    Hahaha don't worry, I don't feel like going through mine again but I think I'd get even more than that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, safe man innit.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 612772
    Fine apart from Richard Dawkins - given he's an Oxford Man and all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Ah that explains his personality then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I have to say I like his biology books, less sure about his anti-religion stuff tho - bit too preachy for me *laughter track plays*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanaa SurnamE)
    Well let me know if you do go to Edinburgh! I am from Suffolk so massive trek too but will probes just fly. See you at the Cambridge vet offer day if you're going!
    yup, will do. this is going to sound so weird but what vet offer day are you talking about? I didn't get told about it.......................
    awks[/QUOTE]

That's odd, it's for all vet med offer holders, maybe email your college administrations person?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Right trying to get my head around grades so I can keep on top/know where I'm aiming. Nobody has ever explained the A* grade criteria to me and this is the best place to ask. Sorry if this seems stupid!!

Is it a fixed 90%? So say History is out of 200 (approx.) do I need to get 180+? Even if the other grade boundaries are lower because only a few performed well?

ReputationRep:
    Right trying to get my head around grades so I can keep on top/know where I'm aiming. Nobody has ever explained the A* grade criteria to me and this is the best place to ask. Sorry if this seems stupid!!

Is it a fixed 90%? So say History is out of 200 (approx.) do I need to get 180+? Even if the other grade boundaries are lower because only a few performed well?
    History is reformed and thus doesn't have UMS, I assume you know that. Therefore an A* is just going to be an A* grade mark in all 4 modules (or possibly a combined one across all 4), which I think is just going to be dependent on overall average marks of people who have done it, and then what the exam boards decide, like at GCSE.

For non-reformed, you need an A at AS and an average of 90 UMS across your A2 modules.

ReputationRep:

From my understanding, the minimum you could get for an A* is x/200 where x is a number decided upon by the exam board after marking all the papers and decided what the boundary should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    From my understanding, the minimum you could get for an A* is x/200 where x is a number decided upon by the exam board after marking all the papers and decided what the boundary should be.
    This. Grade boundaries are never fixed. In linear specifications there is an A* boundary, just like for all the other grades.

ReputationRep:
    My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens
    This is literally the only way I revise for History and it's super effective for me because I'm quite a visual learner. I just basically make a much more readable version of the textbook for myself with pretty pens in a notebook and it really helps me remember it. When it's actually closer to exam time I then memorise my notes and sum them up on big memory/flash cards and then as I remember more I write even less prompts on little flash cards.
    Basically I feel like sticking to the exact format of the textbook is useful because the exam never really deviates from the setup of the key questions for A Level History (for Edexcel anyway)
    Spoiler:
    Show

that last part might be bad advice but I like cutting corners
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    History is reformed and thus doesn't have UMS, I assume you know that. Therefore an A* is just going to be an A* grade mark in all 4 modules (or possibly a combined one across all 4), which I think is just going to be dependent on overall average marks of people who have done it, and then what the exam boards decide, like at GCSE. For non-reformed, you need an A at AS and an average of 90 UMS across your A2 modules.
    Thanks!! I've been asking my teachers but their responses are limited to "uh I don't know" or "it's a new spec so we don't know!!" or something of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    Safety blud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Finding funding for international undergrads *is* a major challenge.

I'm sure you've already checked:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ancial-support

In addition look at potential sources in Singapore.

e.g. http://www.jardines.com/community/ja...oundation.html
    Although you are probably to late for that one, AND I don't know if it applies to Medicine.
    Thanks for the reply! Haha yup, I think I've tried to read through that site at least 5 times to see if there was any miniscule pot of gold I might have missed on the previous 4 rounds. Unfortunately, there wasn't :P

I've also been poring over scholarship/bursary/grant sites to see if I can find anything. No luck yet though :/

It's a bit late for Jardine, but thank you nonetheless! Appreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)
    Most of the Singaporean overseas scholarships do not cover Medicine, Dentistry and Architecture... Opportunities for funding in your course are very scarce I'm afraid and your best bet would be the extremely competitive PSC Scholarship. The other scholarship is the A Star MBBS-PhD scholarship which isn't really what you're looking for, it requires a place in NUS YLLSoM such that you study undergrad medicine in Singapore and you're funded all the way to graduate studies in the UK. It also effectively locks you into a career of medicine research, so like I said, your best bet is PSC.
    Thanks! Yeah, I've looked at PSC. Normal PSC is only available for local medicine, though. I'd have to study in NUSYLLSoM or LKCMedicine, which isn't really what I'm planning to do.

My only hope for a fully funded overseas medical education under PSC is the President's Scholarship...and we know how that is...

Haha oh well, let's see what I can find. Thanks for the pointers!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone knows, whether you're supposed to reply to the college you got into saying you accept the offer in order to inform them of your decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.