Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KICXX)
    I was wondering if anyone knows, whether you're supposed to reply to the college you got into saying you accept the offer in order to inform them of your decision.
    I've heard that you do this only if the college asks you, and even then it's not essential. Your decision on UCAS is still the only necessary one.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone concerned that by making Cambridge their firm that they are way down the accommodation pile for their insurance should they miss their Cambridge offer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    From my understanding, the minimum you could get for an A* is x/200 where x is a number decided upon by the exam board after marking all the papers and decided what the boundary should be.
    I also think it will be set up so it's roughly the top 10% of candidates getting the A*, as I think that's how they did it previously with deciding 90% ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)
    I've heard that you do this only if the college asks you, and even then it's not essential. Your decision on UCAS is still the only necessary one.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
    History is reformed and thus doesn't have UMS, I assume you know that. Therefore an A* is just going to be an A* grade mark in all 4 modules (or possibly a combined one across all 4), which I think is just going to be dependent on overall average marks of people who have done it, and then what the exam boards decide, like at GCSE.

For non-reformed, you need an A at AS and an average of 90 UMS across your A2 modules.
    hmm I doubt it will require the A* mark on all 4 papers, I think that would be quite unfair and would be really different from how it was before, I think they will still allow a slight slip up in 1 paper to be made up for in another

ReputationRep:
    I had a root around and found this explanation on the OCR website about UMS and A* for linear qualifications (presumably it applies to everyone)

Source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/blog/view/how-...undaries-work/

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks Rian. There have a been a few questions about UMS, so I’ll see if I can answer them in one go. In linear exams, candidates take all of their papers at the end of the course. Because there is no need to compare exams taken at different times (which may be slightly harder or easier than one another), we do not need to convert marks to UMS. With linear results, we issue raw marks for each paper (component), an overall total mark (which is the straight sum of the paper marks, unless one of the papers is weighted), and an overall grade. You will not see any reference to UMS, as these do not exist for linear exams. For those people (including universities) who are used to looking at UMS to determine performance, this is obviously a change, although of course this was the norm before unitised qualifications (and hence UMS) were introduced. However, the total mark can be compared with the overall subject grade boundaries, and this will tell you not only your overall grade, but also your proximity to any other grade. In terms of predicting likely performance in the A level based on the AS, it is impossible to give a hard and fast rule (as the AS and A level are two different standards, and individual candidates can perform in different ways), but the stronger the performance in the AS the more likely the chance of scoring highly on the A level in a year’s time. The rule for achieving A* at A level in unitised specifications involves achieving 90% of the UMS on the A2 units (as well as achieving a grade A overall). This rule will no longer apply for linear A levels, as we don’t use UMS, and there are no A2 units (just A level components). For the new A levels being awarded for the first time next summer, the A* will be set using statistical and technical evidence, although official confirmation of this is still expected from Ofqual (the exams regulator).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Thanks!! I've been asking my teachers but their responses are limited to "uh I don't know" or "it's a new spec so we don't know!!" or something of the sort.
    Which exam board are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd make my contribution...

Difficult offer to meet for AMES... Doable, but will require a lot of work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    Thought I'd make my contribution...

Difficult offer to meet for AMES... Doable, but will require a lot of work...
    A*A*A?

ReputationRep:
    Add another A and you hit it on the nail.
    A*A*A?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Add another A and you hit it on the nail.
    A*A*AA? At which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazing11)
    Is anyone concerned that by making Cambridge their firm that they are way down the accommodation pile for their insurance should they miss their Cambridge offer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is going to be the case no matter which universities you choose as firm/insurance. The best thing to do is to ensure you put in the work required to meet your Cambridge offer so you don't need to worry about your insurance choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    A*A*AA? At which college?
    Yep... Churchill
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 210555)
    Which exam board are you studying?
    Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harlem_basket)
    I got an offer to study mathematics, and I applied for the 4 year course (MMath), but in the decision letter they say the course lasts 3 years (Qualification BA (Hons)). Does any of you know why?
    I think some Math offers did indicate 4 years.

--------------------------------------
    Course Offer

Course Title: Mathematical Tripos (BA and MMath)

Course ID: MATX

Course Start Date: 1 October 2016

Course End Date: 30 June 2020

Is the Course Full Time?: Yes
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by beeyong)
    I think some Math offers did indicate 4 years.

Course Offer

Course Title: Mathematical Tripos (BA and MMath)

Course ID: MATX

Course Start Date: 1 October 2016

Course End Date: 30 June 2020

Is the Course Full Time?: Yes
    You will still need to do well in the BA to proceed to MMath.

But either way I recommend you use the 4 year MMath for SFE purposes. It's much easier* to reduce the loan back to the 3 year course than add the 4th year later.

*From a paperwork/admin perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep... Churchill
    Jesus...Better than no offer I guess.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0arbute)
    yup, will do. this is going to sound so weird but what vet offer day are you talking about? I didn't get told about it.......................
    awks
    That's odd, it's for all vet med offer holders, maybe email your college administrations person?[/QUOTE]

this makes me a little worried lool
    Yeah I will do that nowh, thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Definitely... I assume you're on the same course?? Which college?

Yeah I hope to meet it but if I don't I really hope they're lenient if I make the default offer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.