Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Sorry for kicking off guys I probably look like an idiot (but I'm not deleting it)
    There there.. it's alright
    I guess (from your outburst) it just means you have more to celebrate because you managed to get your cambridge offer despite having all these difficulties! And I'm sure your teachers will 'step up their game' when the months that you're doing your A levels arrive ^^
    If not, you did the independent learning thing once, you can do it again; massive faith in you!!
    (meanwhile I'm dying because of biology a level essays..)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for kicking off guys I probably look like an idiot (but I'm not deleting it)
    Nah tbh you're completely in the right there. You've done amazingly considering everything, and I'm sure with your work ethic you'll smash your exams. Jist make sure we meet up in October

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another win for Oxford as Trump's first pic for the Supreme Court is an Oxford alumnus.

I'm just laughing at this point.

Don't get triggered lads, I can already feel the buttmad looming over me as I type out this post.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Another win for Oxford as Trump's first pic for the Supreme Court is an Oxford alumnus.

Don't get triggered lads, I can already feel the buttmad looming over me as I type out this post.
    *^O^* go Oxford :rofl::rofl:

- don't think this is something for Oxford to be too proud about but ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)

Is it /really/ a win though?

ReputationRep:
    Is it /really/ a win though?
    It's a win cos we're not winning anymore. We used to win but not anymore. We need to win again. We need to succeed again. We need to make America great again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    It's a win cos we're not winning anymore. We used to win but not anymore. We need to win again. We need to succeed again. We need to make America great again.
    :rofl:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by NeverLucky)
    When was the last time we beat China in a trade deal? THEY KILL US!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    does anyone know how competitive the choral awards are?
    Samantha, i'm reliably informed that it varies from year to year. Caius is one of the more competitive, normally, but don't let that stop you. The money is handy and you get to tour (and, in some circumstances, you can even change college).

My daughter is considering applying for a choral award too. Good luck, if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir albert)
    Samantha, i'm reliably informed that it varies from year to year. Caius is one of the more competitive, normally, but don't let that stop you. The money is handy and you get to tour (and, in some circumstances, you can even change college).

My daughter is considering applying for a choral award too. Good luck, if you do.
    I agree with sir albert that it varies from college to college and year to year. My Daughter (1st year) has a choral award and is really enjoying the experience. As part of the award she has private singing lessons with a very good singing teacher.

If you love singing and are happy to have the commitment its worth applying and seeing. There will be a mixture of looking for potential and listening to your voice but be prepared to sight sing and do some aural tests too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    > Very very good
    > Oxonian

Pick one
    cheeky one:laugh: (feeling a little traitor-ish, seeing that I now have to call Cambridge "the other place" smh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1m2)
    cheeky one:laugh: (feeling a little traitor-ish, seeing that I now have to call Cambridge "the other place" smh)
    Nah dw Oxford will always be "the other place"

ReputationRep:
    What???? It's nothing to do with my college??? My teachers are absolutely great??? Some of the finest people I've ever met???? My teachers were bad at secondary, but not at the place I am now. I only blame my secondary teaches for my poor GCSE grades because I had to teach myself the whole secondary school curriculum in 3 months, I had no teaching or input, but that's ancient history now.

I only want to maximise my chances of doing well in my exams by reaching out and sucking out all of the available help I can possibly get, instead of remaining blissfully ignorant to any mistakes. I only care about my education and being seen in a fair light to others who have had an easier ride medically and therefore had more input, no more no less, and I've been encouraged to do what I'm doing by the same teachers who I'm asking for extra tips and work. Don't understand why that's a bad thing, or why it has anything to do with anyone else (unless they are answering my questions, like jneill kindly does).

I fight for my education. Try dealing chronic medical conditions, missing all secondary school except 3 months because of health conditions, and then tell me that I blame my teachers for being 'bad' teachers. No. I blame my secondary school teachers for flat out refusing to teach me so I had to teach myself once I was healthy enough. That's it. My sixth form college is fabulous, and I'm getting very good grades. I dont take these for granted and want to maximise my chances by doing extra.

This is a bit of a sore spot. Im sure you have good intentions but don't generalise and assume who or how someone is based of a few posts on an internet site.
    Firstly well done on your offer and I sincerely hope your medical conditions are resolved or at the very least improving. However, when you use phrases such as an English teacher being less willing to mark or ".a little off" in terms of extra questions, one can be forgiven for interpreting this as (in my words) " a little critical😜

More importantly I would say it is pointless trying to predict grade boundaries. You are the first cohort under the new reformed A level system and I do empathise with you all here. At least last year I was pretty sure of A grades ( due to UMS) and unfortunately this year students don't have that luxury.

Teachers have no more idea than any of us as to how this will "pan out". There is no doubt there appears to be an "agenda" to make exams more robust (not that I necessarily agree BTW).

As I say the only thing within your control is to work as hard as you can and try to be at the very top end of your cohort. Good luck with your exams😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir albert)

(Original post by wonderland2)
    I agree with sir albert that it varies from college to college and year to year. My Daughter (1st year) has a choral award and is really enjoying the experience. As part of the award she has private singing lessons with a very good singing teacher.

If you love singing and are happy to have the commitment its worth applying and seeing. There will be a mixture of looking for potential and listening to your voice but be prepared to sight sing and do some aural tests too.
    Thanks for the information. I do love singing but I haven't had vocal coaching/singing lessons in years and I don't know if I'm up to scratch. And I've always been terrible at sight-singing! Going to need to think about this.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information. I do love singing but I haven't had vocal coaching/singing lessons in years and I don't know if I'm up to scratch. And I've always been terrible at sight-singing! Going to need to think about this.
    What's the worst that can happen? They say thank you but not this time...

Go for it! Carpe diem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for it! My daughter is applying too. You'll find some sample aural tests on the website as well. Good luck!

Its healthy to have a rant occasionally. Though your post is barely even a rant...

The world would be a better place if people let off steam in a controlled manner before letting it all build up under their masks.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Its healthy to have a rant occasionally.

The world would be a better place if people let off steam in a controlled manner before letting it all build up under their masks.
      Wise words to be honest glad you don't think I'm a complete loon

Of course they are wise words. When have I ever been anything but wise and helpful in this thread? :unimpressed:

Perhaps I do think you are a complete loon though... but a loon who is slightly less likely to do something stupid than before she posted...

ReputationRep:
        You're NOT a loon, we all have a "rant" at times. Best wishes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.