Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    I haven't even been to school for the last few days lol. My school is completely useless anyway, I wish I could just drop out for the rest of the year.
    Me irl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Me irl
    Goals af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Why are your teachers pressuring you to firm Cambridge so much? They should know that it's your choice...
    Don't choose Cambridge because your teacher wants you too, that's silly. You still have a while yet to choose anyway

I haven't even been to school for the last few days lol. My school is completely useless anyway, I wish I could just drop out for the rest of the year.

They are pressuring me because it's about 1 student every 5 years who even applies to Oxbridge from my school. And they know how excited I was to even get an interview, let alone when I got the offer in January. I went home at break on decision day to get the letter, got back to school less than 10 mins after opening and burst into tears because i was so happy. And even I know that I want to take it but I'm hesitant because I don't think I'm good enough.

I wish I could drop out of maths lessons because my teacher is useless but they won't let me, even though i'd do better teaching myself. My chemistry and biology teachers are both really supportive and i know that they are only on at me about firming because they want me to do well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    It's nice to know I'm not alone but it seriously sucks and I know what you mean about worrying about not making it. My tutor made some comment this morning about student finance and how he expected I'd already sent mine off, but I haven't even firmed and insured yet and I made some comment about possibly not taking the Cambridge offer and he literally flipped so much, I got a 10 minute lecture off of him. At least you were getting As at the start of the year - I haven't seen one of those since results day last summer. I'm seriously debating talking to one of my teachers to see if we could come up with some sort of contingency plan for the next time I burst into tears at school because it's getting embarrassing in the middle of the common room. One of my chem teachers gave me a hug yesterday when I was crying on her, and then my old tutor from year 11 stuck her head around the door and came and gave me a hug too, I must admit that's one of the few times I've liked being in a class on my own. And I know what you mean about spending hours on stuff with notes (or in my case, the textbook) to prove I can do stuff. I do the same thing but then almost feel like I've cheated, even if I've only got 75% with the book (still not an A). I seriously think worrying we won't get there is making things worse though.

I made a collage of photos from Cambridge and also several of queens college (that's where my offer is from) to put up at home to try and keep me focused but I now feel like it's taunting me with what I'll never have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I feel the same way. I revise tirelessly every single day except Friday evenings (regardless of if ive had a nice 'calm' evening of very gentle revision earlier in the week or full on essay writing stuff) and I have been doing more social stuff just to clear my head because we arent robots (cinema on Tuesday night woo). Work hard, play harder. But I know how you feel I do feel like my Cambridge picture on my 'motivation' panel is taunting me with what I will never have. I feel like if I don't do something better, even if its just the same number of pages or finishing something in timed conditions, I'm a failure even though we all work and do things differently. I'll work quicker once I have my confidence up, and I think I am starting to make some progress with it but I don't know. We'll see when I get my essays back. I feel like I am not working hard enough, and like one of my friends keeps on doing essays for English Language that I typically do better at her in anyway (only by like 1 mark or 2) so I feel like I will never get an A* and she automatically will, even though I am revising in a different way (going through the textbook and making new notes).

I did end up crying because I struggled with one thing last week in English Lit, but I've reigned myself in and just gone back to basics and hopefully I will claw back my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    They are pressuring me because it's about 1 student every 5 years who even applies to Oxbridge from my school. And they know how excited I was to even get an interview, let alone when I got the offer in January. I went home at break on decision day to get the letter, got back to school less than 10 mins after opening and burst into tears because i was so happy. And even I know that I want to take it but I'm hesitant because I don't think I'm good enough.

I wish I could drop out of maths lessons because my teacher is useless but they won't let me, even though i'd do better teaching myself. My chemistry and biology teachers are both really supportive and i know that they are only on at me about firming because they want me to do well.
    Most of my teachers think that because I have an offer I'm 100% going to Cambridge which is definitely not the case.

Cambridge wouldn't have given you an offer if they didn't think you were good enough
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Cambridge wouldn't have given you an offer if they didn't think you were good enough
    rayofsunshine98
    SteamboatMickey

^T.H.I.S.!!!!

100%

Chill guys. You've got this...

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    rayofsunshine98
    SteamboatMickey

^T.H.I.S.!!!!

100%

Chill guys. You've got this...

That actually made me feel better!! :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I've lost all confidence too! Especially in English Literature. Earlier in the year I was getting As, and even if I got a very high B I wasn't too worried. Now I'm worrying that I can't do the subject well enough to get an A grade at A2 and it's dragging my grade down. Same thing happening in English Language, to a lesser extent however.

Really happy to have gotten an offer and really want to meet it... just worrying about not making it haha My English Lit teacher keeps hugging me and giving me chocolate, so I spent hours on an essay to try and prove to myself I can still do the subject. Then I worry that, because I did it outside of timed conditions and used my notes, even if I get a good grade it won't mean anything. (Even though I'll obviously prep for the real exams and do more practise)

Ugghhh I'm never gonna get A*A*A
    Is it strange that having got an offer I've lost all confidence in myself and am now debating taking an offer which is unconditional if I firm elsewhere?? Or is someone else out there having a confidence crisis too? Chemistry revision yesterday evening turned into me sitting and crying in a classroom with my two chemistry teachers and several other teachers in the office next door (and it's not like they didn't know what was going on as one teacher in the classroom went and got the tissues out of the office).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same position, so you're not alone... was so confident about meeting my offer and now tbh, be lucky if i even make my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Except maths, so you're still f-ed. :lol:

(jk)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    I'm in the same position, so you're not alone... was so confident about meeting my offer and now tbh, be lucky if i even make my insurance.
    Yup same here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrbUfYSt0E
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position, hopefully we all make it through this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except maths, so you're still f-ed. :lol:

(jk)
    The sad truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    The sad truth
    On a serious note though - judging from your relative performance on STEP so far, meeting the offer should be a clinch. Remember that you don't need to be working on STEP all the time, there were good weeks when I just wouldn't touch a STEP paper sometimes. It's alright, there's still plenty of time left. Heck, I haven't even started preparing for my Tripos exams yet.

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note though - judging from your relative performance on STEP so far, meeting the offer should be a clinch. Remember that you don't need to be working on STEP all the time, there were good weeks when I just wouldn't touch a STEP paper sometimes. It's alright, there's still plenty of time left. Heck, I haven't even started preparing for my Tripos exams yet.
    Meh I still haven't started the report I was meant to have given my manager two weeks ago. Beat that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Meh I still haven't started the report I was meant to have given my manager two weeks ago. Beat that.
    I really wish I couldn't beat that, but...

I'm literally negative prep right now, have six weeks of lectures to catch up on before I even start prep...

ReputationRep:
    This week's just been a bad week STEP-wise. The paper I did (III 2006) went pretty poorly. Almost all of my solutions were incomplete, and integration one is the first STEP integration question that has completely stumped me. In a way I'm glad this happened though, because it's made me realise that the truth is, not all of my answers are gonna be fulls, and that I shouldn't stress over not finishing a question and just move on instead. This is why I'm happy I'm doing timed papers

That being said, I'm a lot more confident for II, and I reckon I'll be able to do an applied or two (depending on what comes up) if the pure isn't going too well. So far all of my paper II's have been decent

Thanks for this anyway, I feel a lot better about it all now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feeling like they have to continuously produce essays and continuously revise because of their offer have to stop feeling guilty when I take a break. Where I'll pull a second A* from I just don't know (perhaps English Language if my teachers faith and belief and marks are anything to go by but I'm not confident personally)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feeling like they have to continuously produce essays and continuously revise because of their offer have to stop feeling guilty when I take a break. Where I'll pull a second A* from I just don't know (perhaps English Language if my teachers faith and belief and marks are anything to go by but I'm not confident personally)
    "you have rated this member recently"

This is so me... I did 4 econ essays purely for my teacher to mark ahahah but RIP my maths now cause i sacrificed time on modules i haven't touched for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I feel the same way. I revise tirelessly every single day except Friday evenings (regardless of if ive had a nice 'calm' evening of very gentle revision earlier in the week or full on essay writing stuff) and I have been doing more social stuff just to clear my head because we arent robots (cinema on Tuesday night woo). Work hard, play harder. But I know how you feel I do feel like my Cambridge picture on my 'motivation' panel is taunting me with what I will never have. I feel like if I don't do something better, even if its just the same number of pages or finishing something in timed conditions, I'm a failure even though we all work and do things differently. I'll work quicker once I have my confidence up, and I think I am starting to make some progress with it but I don't know. We'll see when I get my essays back. I feel like I am not working hard enough, and like one of my friends keeps on doing essays for English Language that I typically do better at her in anyway (only by like 1 mark or 2) so I feel like I will never get an A* and she automatically will, even though I am revising in a different way (going through the textbook and making new notes).

I did end up crying because I struggled with one thing last week in English Lit, but I've reigned myself in and just gone back to basics and hopefully I will claw back my confidence.
    I don't even take one designated evening a week off - I do a few extra curricular activities spread across the week though, so I just do a bit less on those days. I think if I can claw back my confidence that will make my life a lot easier, but at the moment it's non existent because I'm just failing to get high enough marks in anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Most of my teachers think that because I have an offer I'm 100% going to Cambridge which is definitely not the case.

That's exactly what my teachers are doing. My tutor and both of my chem teachers have lectured me about picking Cambridge as my firm and even after one of my chem teachers passed out at the start of my lesson yesterday (it was due to an allergy to Lynx body spray so she was fine afterwards thankfully) she was still lecturing me.

I think the confidence thing has, if I'm honest, been going on for ages. Even though the bulk of Cambridge applicants get an interview I was convinced I wasn't going to get one, and then I had convinced myself there was no way I'd get an offer. And by that point I'd been offered a place elsewhere which is unconditional if I firm them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.