Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    rayofsunshine98
    SteamboatMickey

^T.H.I.S.!!!!

100%

Chill guys. You've got this...

That's actually just started me off crying again 😂😂 why am I such a mess at the moment?! I seriously think I need to just sit down and talk to one of my teachers about how I'm feeling and actually make someone at school understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Except maths, so you're still f-ed. :lol:

(jk)
    Well with no help I got myself from a U in December to a high B now, so hopefully I can get myself there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Anyone else feeling like they have to continuously produce essays and continuously revise because of their offer have to stop feeling guilty when I take a break. Where I'll pull a second A* from I just don't know (perhaps English Language if my teachers faith and belief and marks are anything to go by but I'm not confident personally)
    Yeah, although not so much in terms of essays with my subjects. I literally spent 10 minutes explaining to a teacher why I didn't have her homework in EARLY (I normally do hand my chem in a couple of days earlier than its due) because I pretty much had to take last weekend off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    Well with no help I got myself from a U in December to a high B now, so hopefully I can get myself there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant maths applicants: Cambridge gives out 500 offers and expects ~350 people to miss them.

I'm sure you'll do fine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    I don't even take one designated evening a week off - I do a few extra curricular activities spread across the week though, so I just do a bit less on those days. I think if I can claw back my confidence that will make my life a lot easier, but at the moment it's non existent because I'm just failing to get high enough marks in anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I don't do any extra curricular

ReputationRep:
    I meant maths applicants: Cambridge gives out 500 offers and expects ~350 people to miss them.

I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Ohh ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't do any extra curricular
    I don't "go out" as such, so that's my only break

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Spent all day fixing up the referencing in my History Coursework weather has been lovely, shame ive been stuck in doing it.

I hope you all don't burn yourselves out before coming to Cambridge

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Serine Soul)
      I hope you all don't burn yourself out before coming to Cambridge
      This.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alow)
      This.
      Don't even think I'll be coming to be honest :lol: I mean how on earth does someone get an A or A* in English Literature and English Language. How on earth did I manage it last year!

ReputationRep:
      I'm actually so demotivated- i vary so wildly in my grades it's a joke now, that the only thing I look forward to is bedtime, cause it means 8 or so hours of forgetting all my worries rip me.

I'm even having second doubts to whether Cambridge is right for me if I can't handle A levels...

ReputationRep:
      Don't even think I'll be coming to be honest :lol: I mean how on earth does someone get an A or A* in English Literature and English Language. How on earth did I manage it last year!
      All the marking is normalised so someone has to get the A*s! Your answers don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than about 90% of the other students (and you're clearly doing far more preparation than almost anyone who will be sitting the exam).

The most important thing is to do a sensible amount of preparation and be confident on the day. I knew lots of people who revised like crazy and were so stressed and burned out by the time they sat the actual exam they performed terribly.

Ah don't worry, I'm sure you'll manage it this year too Just remember what you're aiming for

(Original post by Xphoenix)
        I'm actually so demotivated- i vary so wildly in my grades it's a joke now, that the only thing I look forward to is bedtime, cause it means 8 or so hours of forgetting all my worries rip me.

I'm even having second doubts to whether Cambridge is right for me if I can't handle A levels...
        I'm sure you've heard this many times already but if your grades are varying a lot, maybe there's a couple of areas that need work? Make refining those your priority
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by alow)
        All the marking is normalised so someone has to get the A*s! Your answers don't have to be perfect, they just have to be better than about 90% of the other students (and you're clearly doing far more preparation than almost anyone who will be sitting the exam).

The most important thing is to do a sensible amount of preparation and be confident on the day. I knew lots of people who revised like crazy and were so stressed and burned out by the time they sat the actual exam they performed terribly.
        Thank you so much haha!

Yeah I am doing a ton of prep. At the moment I feel like there's a lot I need to do but I feel calm?? Especially for English Language. I'm going to do an essay for it tomorrow and an essay for History.

I'm worried I over do it tbh, I'm just concentrating on keeping myself calm and still doing far more prep than others are doing. Although my prep so far is just copying notes out of the textbook so I know I am comfortable with the exam boards material, and doing a few extra essays. My teachers advice for English Language is to just "know the textbook inside and out". I think I overcomplicate things tbh, and then start thinking I can do it, and I think it's dragging my English grades down, so I've been trying to sort it out.

I can definitely handle A-Levels, my teachers have described me as either (and I don't want to brag or anything because I don't believe this myself) a "very strong student" and they think I can match the heights of my offer. I think it's just confidence and me panicking so overcomplicating and doubting my abilities.

ReputationRep:
        The only thought getting me through rn is the fact that if I can't even meet the offer, then the academic intensity of Cambridge probably won't be suited to me anyway... That being said, I'm just going to do my best, that's all I can do after all The stats are on our side, 90%~ of offer holders meet their offers (except for those poor mathmos)
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by liziepie)
        The only thought getting me through rn is the fact that if I can't even meet the offer, then the academic intensity of Cambridge probably won't be suited to me anyway... That being said, I'm just going to do my best, that's all I can do after all The stats are on our side, 90%~ of offer holders meet their offers (except for those poor mathmos)
        Go stats go 👏🏻👏🏻

Come on offer holders we can do it 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 👏🏻

ReputationRep:
        Me irl
        is there a way to do a math ba degree from oxbridge in two years? since part 1 & 2 are the materials that everybody do , while year 3 is more elective. have you seen people graduate after finishing just year 1 &2 , or taking the electives required to graduate in year 2 and finishing it in two years?

ReputationRep:
        Tbh I'm just really bored of A levels... We're finishing up most of the content now so from now on its just revision. I hate not learning new things, although I'm very very glad there's no more content than atm to revise lol. It's just annoying that I don't have time or the opportunity to study Japanese until I get to uni in the autumn, which is what I really want to be doing 😭

Also have that same niggling doubt that I'm not doing enough revision, but it's early days yet and I'm fairly confident that consistently going over it all will mean it's cemented in my mind come exams. Have faith in yourselves guys 😊

In the end I visited Sheffield on Wednesday and it was amazing and the degree sounds fab, so if I don't meet the Cambridge offer it's not the end of the world (Sheffield is ABB... stuff would have to go seriously wrong for me to miss that)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JackedMath4)
        is there a way to do a math ba degree from oxbridge in two years? since part 1 & 2 are the materials that everybody do , while year 3 is more elective. have you seen people graduate after finishing just year 1 &2 , or taking the electives required to graduate in year 2 and finishing it in two years?
        lol no

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.