Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    fam u mad
    Surely II in step makes A*A* in maths/fm pretty trivial though, so the offer is basically II and an A? Obviously still harder than other offers tho

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Does anyone know anything about applying for accommodation? When and how do we do it??

I'm holding an offer from Trinity, but information for any college would still be appreciated.

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Guys my friend is staying on an extra year and wants to apply to Cambridge

She's just dropped alevel physics and is on track to get like BBDU or something and idk what to do bc she doesn't shut up about it and I'm like ://

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    Surely II in step makes A*A* in maths/fm pretty trivial though, so the offer is basically II and an A? Obviously still harder than other offers tho
    A-Levels are trivial, though. (this is going to come across badly...)

(Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    idk what to do bc she doesn't shut up
    You don't need to do anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookieraiderr77)
    Hiya,

Does anyone know anything about applying for accommodation? When and how do we do it??

I'm holding an offer from Trinity, but information for any college would still be appreciated.

Thanks!
    You get accommodation sorted sometime between August and October, once everyone's offers are confirmed/rejected. Normally, there isn't much of a choice to make.

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure you can call them trivial because for most people they are the highest level thing they've ever studied, so feel relatively hard. Maths A level and mathmos is a bit different because are studying for STEP and A level at the same time, trivialising the A level content. Did you really find physics A level trivial when you were doing A2's?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I don't but at the same time id feel like a bad friend if I ignored her completely and idk what to say bc she really struggles with A-Levels but she has big aspirations which I admire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I'm not sure you can call them trivial because for most people they are the highest level thing they've ever studied, so feel relatively hard. Maths A level and mathmos is a bit different because are studying for STEP and A level at the same time, trivialising the A level content.
    Yeah, I suppose you have a point there.

I don't but at the same time id feel like a bad friend if I ignored her completely and idk what to say bc she really struggles with A-Levels but she has big aspirations which I admire
    I don't have all the necessary background and context (school, home, circumstances, etc...), but if it were me and I had a friend with BBDD wanting to apply to Cambridge, then I'd simply tell it to her straight: that she has a non-zero chance; but she'll certainly need to get her stuff together before beginning to consider a serious application. Would advise considering other universities, gap year if necessary, why Cambridge, etc... and then stop talking about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suppose you have a point there.

I don't have all the necessary background and context (school, home, circumstances, etc...), but if it were me and I had a friend with BBDD wanting to apply to Cambridge, then I'd simply tell it to her straight: that she has a non-zero chance; but she'll certainly need to get her stuff together before beginning to consider a serious application. Would advise considering other universities, gap year if necessary, why Cambridge, etc... and then stop talking about it.
    Thanks Zacken she just doesn't shut up about it and I think it's silly unless her grades actually improve
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Zacken she just doesn't shut up about it and I think it's silly unless her grades actually improve
    Tell her, as a friend, unless she actually achieves the typical requirements in August she *definitely* will not be successful. If she continues to go on about it remind her it's pointless even talking about it until that happens and direct her to studying/revision now instead of future gazing.

Oh and reminder of what your own offer is!

(I'm sure you've already said all this but you just need to keep reminding her.... Friends can be annoying... )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be controversial here. This should not be in the public domain and is a private matter between two friends😒. If she follows your regular posts on this forum??? ( hope not), she will be feeling pretty bad now. Be a friend, talk to her IF you really need to and stop posting about this. Sorry to be controversial, but you should not publicly post others peoples grades . I do wish you good luck with your exams though, I remember this time last year only too well. Fingers crossed for you 👍
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    Sorry to be controversial here. This should not be in the public domain and is a private matter between two friends😒. If she follows your regular posts on this forum??? ( hope not), she will be feeling pretty bad now. Be a friend, talk to her IF you really need to and stop posting about this. Sorry to be controversial, but you should not publicly post others peoples grades . I do wish you good luck with your exams though, I remember this time last year only too well. Fingers crossed for you 👍
    TBF if the friend lurks on the TSR Cambridge forum she should know the minimum entry requirements ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    TBF if the friend lurks on the TSR Cambridge forum she should know the minimum entry requirements ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed the grade requirements are readily available and on the university website. I just think it is rather poor form to bring up someone else's grades and chances of getting an offer ( which appear on the face of it slim), on a public forum and I suspect without her permission. That's the point I am trying to politely make. I have total admiration for the OP and her backstory, in this case I am thinking about the feelings of the other student. A little empathy for her please guys.😀

ReputationRep:
    Agreed the grade requirements are readily available and on the university website. I just think it is rather poor form to bring up someone else's grades and chances of getting an offer ( which appear on the face of it slim), on a public forum and I suspect without her permission. That's the point I am trying to politely make. I have total admiration for the OP and her backstory, in this case I am thinking about the feelings of the other student. A little empathy for her please guys.😀
    We very much empathise with her, which is exactly why we're talking about what we think is the best way to give her advice, not sharing her personal details or attacking her on facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilS)
    We very much empathise with her, which is exactly why we're talking about what we think is the best way to give her advice, not sharing her personal details or attacking her on facebook
    But matters personal have been shared. Grades, year out, dropping a subject. So if she reads this she MIGHT recognise herself. that's what I am politely pointing out. The original post was NOT discreet.

Something along the lines of " how do I best advise a friend who is at present not on course to achieve the minimum entrance requirements?" Would have started the same discussion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I see your point but she definitely doesn't lurk here and even if she did she would probably laugh and be entirely reasonable and understand how she constantly asks me questions means I need to have an outlet to at least try and help her, without being too awful or arrogant. It's all okay.

yeah my apologies, I'll be more careful in the future, just wasn't in the right frame of mind had a **** week
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilS)
    If the conversation went further someone would've bound to have asked for the technicalities to be honest

I think I know this person better than anyone else here and she's even next to me right now I just asked her and she laughed and gave me a cookie. I showed her this discussion :')
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

If the conversation went further someone would've bound to have asked for the technicalities to be honest

I think I know this person better than anyone else here and she's even next to me right now I just asked her and she laughed and gave me a cookie. I showed her this discussion :')
    Omg you showed her? that's nice of her to give you a cookie

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Omg you showed her? that's nice of her to give you a cookie

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah :lol: she's fab! Thought I may as well since it's brewing a small storm

I know her well enough to know what might upset her :')

ReputationRep:
    Yeah :lol: she's fab! Thought I may as well since it's brewing a small storm

I know her well enough to know what might upset her :'
    Glad all is good. We all inadvertently post things we shouldn't at some point, true integrity for the acknowledgement. Best of luck to you and your friends in the summer exams, been there! 😀👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.