Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Received an offer 1-2 months ago and was told I would have to take another English test, despite having successfully passed both CAE/CPE, a Masters degree from a UK university and work experience in England. Very unprofessional behaviour from admissions and a clear sign that the university is unable to correctly assess an application and determine appropriate conditions for entry. Strongly thinking about declining the offer at this point, apparently the university has been going downhill
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JonaCo)
    Received an offer 1-2 months ago and was told I would have to take another English test, despite having successfully passed both CAE/CPE, a Masters degree from a UK university and work experience in England. Very unprofessional behaviour from admissions and a clear sign that the university is unable to correctly assess an application and determine appropriate conditions for entry. Strongly thinking about declining the offer at this point, apparently the university has been going downhill
    Sorry to hear that, sounds like a bit of a pain!

But also (bolded)...

:confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JonaCo)
    Postgrad offer?

Well, if you think Cambridge is going downhill you don't have to accept the offer...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Guys I am having to fill out the disability form in the next few days, and I was just having a look before I do it properly with my Dad and all of the necessary documentation, there is an option for 'practicals' (obviously) and any adjustments a student may need to help them with practicals. Since I am doing History, however, which isn't lab-based obviously, do I still need to fill that bit out or? :P

EDIT: My very weird and complex medical condition has also impacted on my ability to write. I mean I can write but it takes me longer, and by longer I mean a small paragraph takes me an hour, but I can type a page and a half in 30 minutes if I know what I am writing about. I sat through a test so there is some form of 'proof' by my student support department, which allows me to use my laptop in internal assessments and a school computer during examinations. I don't think there's much from doctors' though because they always tend to focus on my mobility struggles. Should I just send what I have got?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Guys I am having to fill out the disability form in the next few days, and I was just having a look before I do it properly with my Dad and all of the necessary documentation, there is an option for 'practicals' (obviously) and any adjustments a student may need to help them with practicals. Since I am doing History, however, which isn't lab-based obviously, do I still need to fill that bit out or? :P
    Yeah, you don't have practicals or labs, but do historians have "field trips" or similar perhaps?

I suggest asking Dr Spencer or your DoS...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yeah, you don't have practicals or labs, but do historians have "field trips" or similar perhaps?

I suggest asking Dr Spencer or your DoS...
    Haha is he online these days? Think I could just send him a TSR PM? :lol:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Haha is he online these days? Think I could just send him a TSR PM? :lol:
    I think an email to the admissions dept would be perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else set their college as their phone lock screen? I'm trying to use it to motivate me but I just end up gawping at how nice Selwyn is instead of working 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think an email to the admissions dept would be perfectly fine
    Just to Medwards or to the Uni itself lol?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just to Medwards or to the Uni itself lol?
    Medwards. They are always your primary point of contact.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Medwards. They are always your primary point of contact.
    Woo okay thank you

I shall do it tomorrow :')
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Has anyone else set their college as their phone lock screen? I'm trying to use it to motivate me but I just end up gawping at how nice Selwyn is instead of working 😂
    No my background is currently my favourite band! I do have a picture of Kings on my wardrobe that someone randomly gave me, and a sticker I got from the open day to keep me motivated.

Think I'm having brain fry again though :P

ReputationRep:
    No my background is currently my favourite band! I do have a picture of Kings on my wardrobe that someone randomly gave me, and a sticker I got from the open day to keep me motivated.

Think I'm having brain fry again though :P
    Can I has the picture
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Can I has the picture
    You'll have to come to Durham )

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to come to Durham )
    I've actually been to Durham a couple of times in the last few months :lol: the nightlife isn't that good :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How do I address the admissions department? "To whom it may concern" orr is that too formal lol

ReputationRep:
    How do I address the admissions department? "To whom it may concern" orr is that too formal lol
    How about 'Dear Admissions' if you don't know the name of the admissions secretary/coordinator, or just 'Dear [name]' if you do?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Forecast)
    How about 'Dear Admissions' if you don't know the name of the admissions secretary/coordinator, or just 'Dear [name]' if you do?
    Yup - don't you have a named contact - i.e. the administrator not Dr Spencer? Falling that, "Dear Admissions" is absolutely fine.

Edit to add: Kate Morton - Dear Ms Morton.
    https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/...ontact-details
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yup - don't you have a named contact - i.e. the administrator not Dr Spencer? Falling that, "Dear Admissions" is absolutely fine.

Edit to add: Kate Morton - Dear Ms Morton.
    https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/...ontact-details
    I'll do that! Thanks haha. Establishing the correct level of formality is not my strong point.

ReputationRep:
    I'll do that! Thanks haha. Establishing the correct level of formality is not my strong point.
    Not mine either.
    U heard of clement mouhot. I got roasted by that bludclart

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.