Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    NOTE: THE 2018 VERSION OF THIS THREAD CAN BE FOUND >>HERE!

It's decision time! Do post in this thread and let us know your outcomes.

If you have been successful, congratulations. If not, commiserations and we're sure you'll do fantastic at whatever university is lucky enough to have you!

Also please complete this quick online Decison Survey created by domaths :
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ewform?c=0&w=1
    And check the spreadsheet for updates:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Re4kmEdGWyYl8/

Please use the following format, deleting any bits that aren't relevant:

Decision: Accepted
    Decision: Accepted from Pool
    Decision: Rejected

Course:
    College:
    Offer Conditions:
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl):

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country):
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other):
    GCSE Grades:
    AS Subjects & Grades:
    A2 Predictions:
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score):
    Other:

Reflection
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Interview Assessment:
    Why did you chose your college?
    Where else did you apply?
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight?

General Comments & Advice:

Any official feedback received from your college:
    (if you haven't got this yet it would be very helpful if you could edit it into your post when you receive it.)

---

Best of luck to everybody!

Please note that this is not a discussions thread.

Useful links:
    2017 Decisions discussions thread
    2017 Rejection thread
    2017 Decisions FAQ & Info (e.g. when will I hear?)
    Cambridge Decisions Info Page
    How to get feedback
    TSR University Connect

HT Zacken for the format

ReputationRep:

Course: Maths
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Course: History
    College: Murray Edwards
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A with an A* in History
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Telephone around three hours after my last Medwards reinterview

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): Home
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
    GCSE Grades: A*A*A*BBBCCDE
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAB (English Language, English Literature, History)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Inc. EPQ)
    Other Qualifications:
    IB (with predicted score): N/A
    Other: Extenuating Circumstances for GCSEs and AS Levels

Reflection
    Strengths: Interview, personal statement, and admissions assessment
    Weaknesses: Grades
    Interview Assessment: Selwyn interviews were easier than expected but I felt like the Murray Edwards interviews were awful
    Why did you chose your college? Chose my original college for its location and proximity to town and Sidgwick site.
    Where else did you apply? Exeter, Durham, Manchester and York.
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Don't know yet!
    General Comments & Advice: If you love your subject, apply. Getting accepted was the last thing I was expecting. I had less then the best GCSEs, I got a B at AS in the subject I was applying for, and I still got into Cambridge uni! Yes, my offer is inflated, but it is still an offer and that is honestly my proudest achievment. As jneill and vincrows will tell you, I was the most insecure pedantic applicant of the cohort, and now I'm sat here with a Cambridge offer. It's crazy! Just make sure to work hard.
    Any official feedback received from your college: Will update this if I find anything notable out (but I can't ask for feedback since I've been accepted)

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:

Course: Mathematics
    College: Magdalene College
    Offer Conditions: S, S in STEP papers 2 and 3 (**** my life); and 7.5 in IELTS with at least 7.0 in each section.
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9:15 GMT

ReputationRep:

Course: Geography
    Offer Conditions: A*AA
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email. Letter coming later on

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 2 A*, 6 A, 4 B
    AS Subjects & Grades: Geography - A (95%) Biology - A Politics - A (93%) Comp Sc - A
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*

Reflection: If you'd had told me i'd get accepted a year ago, i'd have laughed. This is really uncharacteristic of my family, I cannot believe it. I'd just like to inform future years not to worry about poor GCSEs. If you weren't born and raised as a motivated person, it's unlikely you'll push yourself to do well. Smash your AS levels, it's what counts.
    Strengths: AS UMS, predicted grades, interview, admissions assessment (maybe?)
    Weaknesses: GCSEs
    Interview Assessment: I think it went pretty well. Made some dumb mistakes, as everyone does, but I was able to say some constructive and somewhat insightful things.
    Why did you chose your college? Preferred one away from city centre. Looks great. Close proximity to shops. Less serious than some others.
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Royal Holloway
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Exeter

General Comments & Advice: Good luck to everyone else. Some advice to future years:
    Don't worry about bad UMS in a dropped subject. Don't worry about not-so-good GCSEs. Calm yourself before the interview - being calm is the best method to do well. Think critically in the admissions tests. Really try to get good AS UMS.

ReputationRep:
    College: Churchill
    Major: Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences)
    Outcome: pooled then rejected

Well tbh i feel a bit disappointed bc i didnt actually wanna go to cambridge at first and then i did so much research on cambridge that i started to actually like it and i was very very interested. However, at the same time, i kinda expected it because i screwed up the test and it is CAMBRIDGE after all. I was actually satisfied by the fact that they thought i was competent enough to be pooled. Oh and i was a bit grateful because even if i did get an offer, the condition would probably be high, which puts a lot of pressure on me

ReputationRep:

Course: NatSci
    College: St Catharine's
    Offer Conditions: 95 from my state exams in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths with 95 overall.
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9:05 am UK time

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Lithuania)
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Gymnasium

Where else did you apply? Just Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Rejected after pool
    Course: Philosophy
    College: King's
    How did you first hear and when? Email
    School Type: private
    GCSE Grades: 11A*s
    AS Subjects & Grades: Music A history A RS A Maths A
    A2 Predictions: 3A*s

ReputationRep:

Course: Economics
    College: Peterhouse
    Offer Conditions: To be determined (one can only hope not astronomical)
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, recently

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): Murica
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Public, which is the American equivalent of a state school
    IB (with predicted score): Predicted 44, with 7 in HL Maths, English, History & Chemistry, 7 in SL French A & 6 in SL Physics. Also, I'm taking HL Further Maths as an extra subject, in which my prediction is essentially a fantasy. Predicted 3 bonus points (A in EE, B in ToK [although that prediction was a hack job]).
    Other: 36 on the ACT. Fairly strong US-patterned grades.

Reflection
    Strengths: Predicted grades. My personal statement was well-polished (although last-minute). Presumably my interview can't have gone as poorly as I imagined.
    Weaknesses: I panicked on the pre-interview assessment and did an absolutely awful job—I imagine I had time to answer around half of the questions, at the most. There's also some general scepticism regarding admitting Americans, particularly on the basis of predicted grades. I've also not taken economics before!
    Interview Assessment: I spent ten minutes fumbling to do a basic maths problem, and both my handwriting and the straightness of the lines in a graph I drew were criticised. I was reasonably articulate, but a bit annoyed at the interviewers for asking me questions about my coursework which were included in my application. That said, I think my extracurricular knowledge of economics came through, as did my interest in current affairs.
    Why did you chose your college? It's a little more off of the tourist trail, but has a tremendous history and location. Almost everyone lives very close to the centre of the college, and it seems tight-knit. More superficially, Peterhouse is also very well-off, which allows them to do things like build a tremendous new JCR, (and a family friend told me of a programme in which they give you grants to go on holiday, which sounds amazing). Despite its staid image, you can in fact walk on the majority of the grass (save that in the Front Court).
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Warwick, UCL, LSE (in the UK).
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Most likely whichever US school wants me (with luck, MIT, Columbia or Harvard).

Comments:
    Clearly, the thoughts of the interviewers are largely unknowable. I don't think there's a reliable way to estimate your odds of getting in, provided you have the appropriate grades, until you've gotten a decision back.
    Advice:
    I concluded my interview by saying (foolishly, in hindsight): 'I hope this interview was helpful for you all'. One of my interviewers chuckled a bit and said 'they always are'. Presumably, the interview carries greater weight than you would think. Treat it like a supervision in the subject, and try to avoid being either overly confrontational or deferential for its own sake. Also, don't prepare to excess.
    Most importantly, demonstrate your passion for your subject. The more deeply academic your interest, the better.

ReputationRep:

Course: Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences)
    Offer Conditions: A*A*AA (Further Maths A* / Chemistry A* / Maths A / Physics A)
    (Typical Churchill, giving out harsh offers as usual!)
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9:05 am

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): International, but currently studying in a UK sixth form
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA (Maths A / Further Maths A (590/600) / Physics A (internal) / Chemistry A (internal))
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Maths A* / Further Maths A* / Physics A* / Chemistry A*)
    Other Qualifications
    Other: EPQ (Maths-based, predicted A*)

Reflection
    Strengths: Excellent grades with high UMS, great personal statement and strong teacher reference
    Weaknesses: Relatively weak NSAA and interview performance
    Where else did you apply? Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Birmingham
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? UCL (Offer: AAA including Maths and Chemistry)

Feeling proud for an offer. I felt I underperformed in the NSAA and the interview, but luckily the other parts of my application were strong enough to boost me to an offer. Gotta work extremely hard to achieve that insane offer now!

ReputationRep:

Course: Law
    College: Corpus Christi
    Offer Conditions: have to wait for the letter to know!
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email (wish it was by owl)

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): International (but am studying at a boarding school in the UK)
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
    GCSE Grades: N/A
    AS Subjects & Grades: N/A
    A2 Predictions: N/A
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score): 45
    Other:

Reflection
    Strengths: personal statement, predicted grades
    Weaknesses: interview!
    Interview Assessment: Honestly didn't think it went that well. I didn't think my DOS particularly liked me, but I guess I was wrong?
    Why did you chose your college? Really liked that Corpus was small, and that was pretty much it to be honest!
    Where else did you apply? LSE, UCL, KCL, and Nottingham.
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Choosing between LSE and UCL at the moment.
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight?

Never think that you didn't make it just because you feel like the interview didn't go well! I think I spent 1-2 minutes talking about something that didn't particularly make sense, and felt like a total idiot when I realised halfway and didn't stop. Interviewers know that we're all nervous and they'll take it into account. If they don't, then my acceptance makes 0 sense.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Classics
    College: Homerton
    Offer Conditions: Unconditional - not actually determined yet - but I'm on my gap year and have no pending qualifications
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9:01

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Rejected

Course: HSPS
    College: King's
    Offer Conditions:
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, a couple minutes after 9 am GMT

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): International
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Uhhh I think it's a state school?
    GCSE Grades:
    AS Subjects & Grades:
    A2 Predictions:
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score):
    Other: USA APs (Spanish - 5, Psychology - 5, Language Arts - 5, US History - 5, Calc AB - 4)
    Predictions (Government/Politics: 5, Literature - 5, Biology - 3)

Reflection
    Strengths: Personal statement, met and surpassed (by a little bit) the college grade requirements, admissions assessment
    Weaknesses: By far, interview :rofl:
    Interview Assessment: A little on the horrid side; could answer first couple questions but the other questions I did not expect at all, and had trouble thinking out of the box. I could tell I was being pushed toward a different answer a lot, and had trouble finding the thought process they wanted.
    Why did you chose your college? The USA requirements were slightly different than the rest of the university's, and I had achieved them already. Also King's is just so pretty! And I liked the sound of the friendly, open atmosphere.
    Where else did you apply? UCL, LSE, KCL, Exeter, 13 other American Unis hehe
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Johns Hopkins

General Comments & Advice: Try to get as much sleep before the interview day as you can - extra revision probably won't help that much anyway. Always think out loud during the interview and if you feel the interviewers are pushing you in a certain direction, try and change your answer/explain why you might be stuck - it's something I wish I would have done more of! Good luck to all prospective applicants, it's a rewarding process no matter what.

ReputationRep:

College: Trinity Hall
    Offer Conditions: 42, HL 776
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Literally 5 minutes ago by email

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): International School (Public school)
    GCSE Grades: 7A*s, 4As
    IB (with predicted score): 40 + 6 in Further Maths

Reflection
    Strengths: Genuine knowledge of the subject as opposed to just textbook things (i want to go into research and pretty much know which area already), personal statement, Further Maths
    Weaknesses: I was predicted a 5 in Higher Maths (mainly because my teacher is a **** but oh well what can you do)
    Interview Assessment: Terrible, forgot how to integrate by substitution and kept making mistakes
    Why did you chose your college? Small, beautiful, great location, was interested in the research of the tutors there for Econ
    Where else did you apply? Warwick, Exeter, Bath, LSE (rejected, obviously - i got predicted a 5 in Maths and shouldn't have bothered applying)
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Course: Engineering
    College: Homerton
    Offer Conditions: pending
    How did you first hear and when? (email): 9:30 a.m. UK time

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
    GCSE Grades: N/A
    AS Subjects & Grades: Economics-A Mathematics-A Physics-A Chemistry-A
    A2 Predictions: 4A*
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score): N/A
    Other: 1530 SAT, 32 ACT, 111 TOEFL (once determined to apply to American unis)

ReputationRep:
    College: Trinity
    Decision: rejected, pooled but unsuccessful.
    Well, really disappointed because Cambridge is my top school, and seriously considering taking a gap year to reapply, because I'm fairly sure the part that brought me down was the interview, which I did terrible in, failed to convey my passion and the whole nine yards, and mind simply decided to shut down.

ReputationRep:

Course: Mathematics with Physics
    Offer Conditions: A* in Physics at A-level, and S/1 among STEP II/III
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email first, letter 20 minutes after

ReputationRep:
    Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
    College: Girton
    Offer Conditions: A in further maths
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl):
    Letter arrived about 10.15 (scenes in the hallway)
    Optional
    Home, EU or International: Home
    School Type: State
    GCSE Grades: 2A* 7A 2B
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAB (B in maths lol)
    A2 Achieved/Predicted: A*A*A/A*

Reflection
    Strengths: Since I got an offer, presumably my interview and the NSAA. Some of my UMS is good (EEE 148/150, both bio exams 115/120, C3 95/100, C4 100/100)
    Weaknesses: AS UMS in general (80% average), some of my A2 UMS (e.g. 42/60 chem practical, 44/60 bio practical, 77/90 RPA and 80/100 M2), GCSE's
    Interview Assessment: Was actually pretty good, was much more uncertain at the time but the offer has made me think it must have been decent
    Why did you chose your college? Lots of biology spots advertised (15!!), v. beautiful, reputation for being friendly and the only negative things I have seen about the college are related to it's distance from the centre lol
    Where else did you apply? UCL, Bath, StA and Durham
    UCL probs

General Comments & Advice: Sorry for putting loads of my scores in this answer but I want to show that you can get offers without perfect UMS

ReputationRep:

Course: Anglo Saxon Norse and Celtic
    College: St Catharine's
    Offer Conditions:A*AA
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): I received a letter at around 09:20

Optional
    School Type: Grammar school
    GCSE Grades: 7 A*s 5 As
    AS Subjects & Grades: English Literature - A, Classical Civilisation - A, Latin - A, Critical Thinking - A
    A2 Predictions: English Lit - A, History - A, Latin - A, Classical Civilisation - A
    Other Qualifications: EPQ - A*
    IB (with predicted score): n/a
    Other: n/a

Reflection
    Strengths: My personal statement was pretty good. I think I did really well at the interview and showed a genuine interest in the subject. Weaknesses: I don't think my Admissions Assessment was particularly good.
    Interview Assessment: I thought it went really well. I said some stupid things and argued some points that I didn't actually agree with and don't know why I said them, but I feel like I conveyed both knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject, and honestly I just really enjoyed talking to people about something I really loved.
    Why did you chose your college? Because it's old but not intimidating. I had been there once and it just had a really nice vibe, and I also know some people who go there and love it.
    Where else did you apply? St Andrews, Lancaster, Bangor, Winchester
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Lancaster
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? n/a

General Comments & Advice: Try your best to see the interview as an opportunity to discuss something you're passionate about rather than as some kind of test (even if it is that too).

ReputationRep:
    Course: PBS
    College: Jesus
    Offer Conditions: unconditional (already done alevels)
    How did you first hear and when? Email School Type: state
    GCSE Grades: 12A*'s
    AS Subjects & Grades:Maths Chem Bio Physics AAAA
    A2 Grades: A*A*A*

Reflection
    Strengths: UMS, Personal statement

Interview Assessment: Why did you chose your college? Friendly and large!
    Where else did you apply? Bath, Exeter, Birmingham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.