Decision: Accepted

Course: Natural Sciences
    College: Churchill
    Offer Conditions: Unknown at the moment
    How did you first hear and when?: Email, 9:05 AM UK time

Home, EU or International (Country): Sri Lanka
    School Type: Private
    GCSE Grades: 12A* with 2 world prizes in Chem and Physics
    AS Subjects & Grades: Chemistry A (300/300), Physics A (300/300), Mathematics A (300/300), Biology A (292/300)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*A*(for further maths)

Other Qualifications
    Other: SAT with Essay - 1440/1600 with 23/24 in Essay
    SAT Subject - 800/800 Chemistry, 800/800 Maths level 2, 800/800 Physics
    TOEFL - 117/120

Reflection
    Strengths: AS UMS, Personal statement, IGCSE grades, predicted grades
    Weaknesses: The NSAA grilled me - when the time was up, I thought: "oh well I ain't going to Cambridge."
    Interview Assessment: Interview was terrible - I was so nervous that I said 1/2 = 1.5 and didn't realise it for 10 minutes.

Where else did you apply?
    Imperial College London (offer received)
    UCL (still waiting)
    Surrey (offer received)
    Warwick (offer received)

ReputationRep:

Course: NatSci (Biological)
    College: Queens'
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter, arrived this morning

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): Home
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
    GCSE Grades: 7A*, 3As and 2Bs
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, B in EPQ and C in English Literature
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (Bio, chem, maths)

Reflection
    Strengths: My first interview went really well, and I think my AA multiple choice was a strength
    Weaknesses: My second interview and AA section 2.
    Interview Assessment: The first one couldnt have gone any better, the second one i didnt think had gone very well. I made a mistake on a really basic AS question and panicked and lost a lot of confidence.
    Why did you chose your college? Stayed there on a Sutton Trust Summer school and fell in love with it.
    Where else did you apply? Nottingham (2 courses), Sussex and UEA
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably UEA, but maybe my lower Nottingham offer.

General Comments & Advice: Believe in yourself and don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Bio Natsci
    College: Newnham
    Offer Conditions: confirmed A*A*A in Bio Chem or Maths in any order
    How did you first hear and when? email and half an hour ago
    Optional Home, EU or International (Country): International (China)
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State, international
    GCSE Grades: 3A*1A
    AS Subjects & Grades: Phy A Bio A Math A Chemistry A
    A2 Predictions: AA*A*A*

Reflection
    Strengths: Personal statement, the Dos said they liked mine at the interview. Admissions assessment, I did quite well on the biology sections. I did really well in my interview.
    Weaknesses: UMS it is quite low, only one was above 90%
    Interview Assessment: NSAA. Did well on all bio, and quite good on chemistry MCQ, but failed miserably in one of the chosen extended questions in part 2
    Why did you chose your college? Open application
    Where else did you apply? UCL, Imperial College, Durham, York
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? IC
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? IC

General Comments & Advice:
    The first thing is-- DO NOT PANICK ABOUT UMS!!!! I was really desperate when I got 88% on my BIO AS instead of above 90. It doesn't matter much!!! Remember!!! It's the admissions test and especially interviews that counts!!! For the interviews, get to know the interviewers and prepare to the very last detail on your PS because they will ask u really in depth questions! Be confident and chat with people before the interviews, relaxation is key!

Many thanks to the people who replied to my questions in TSR before this, and especially to Jneill

ReputationRep:
    Course: Law
    College: Clare College
    Offer Conditions: Don't know yet!
    How did you first hear and when? Email at 11:33 today!

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 12 A*, 2A
    IB (with predicted score): 41

Reflection
    Strengths: Grades and interview exam
    Weaknesses: Interview was a DISASTER
    Why did you chose your college? It was the 'friendliest' college - and I had stayed there when I was in year 9!
    Where else did you apply? LSE, Kings, UCL and Manchester
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? LSE
    OVER THE BLOODY MOON

ReputationRep:

Course: HSPS
    College: Downing
    Offer Conditions: A* A* A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): got a letter this morning

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): home
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): private
    GCSE Grades: 7A* 4A
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA maths, chemistry, biology, drama
    A2 Predictions: 3A*
    Other Qualifications

Reflection
    Strengths: I had read a lot before going into my interview so I was able to have great discussions. Also I felt like my personal statement was really strong
    Weaknesses: my subjects are completely irrelevant to my course
    Interview Assessment: didn't have one
    Why did you chose your college? It's beautiful and near the centre of the city
    Where else did you apply? Durham, LSE, Edinburgh, Manchester
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Durham

Im amazed I got in despite my random subjects, so I think a lot of importance is placed on the application assessment and interview?

ReputationRep:
    College: Newnham
    Offer Conditions: A*AA
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter about an hour ago, followed by an email promptly afterwards

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 4A*s 5As, 2Bs
    AS Subjects and Grades: Biology (A), History (A) Geography (A), Chemistry (D - bloody disaster I know, but I dropped it).
    A2 Predictions: Biology (A*), History (A*), Geography (A*)

Reflection
    Strengths: Personal statement; my AS Grades bar chemistry were good (UMS average very high in the other 3 subjects); I think the admissions test went well and my first interview was quite pleasant, I was able to give, at least I think, a strong response to most questions.

Weaknesses: The D in chemistry, not that it's important because chemistry is unrelated to Law, but still. I should have picked English or Politics instead, but alas.

Interview Assessment: First interview was fine. Second interview - meh. The first half was okay, the second half was a slight car crash, I felt like I was blagging it.

Why did you chose your college? Small-ish, which is nice because I feel like I can get to know people better. The buildings are stunning. The bedrooms are all single which is great. Location - very close to the law lecture theatre (more sleep!)

Where else did you apply? Warwick, Durham, Bristol, QMUL - they have all given me offers. Very pleased about that!

If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bristol

General comments & advice: If you are in year 12, try really hard in your AS exams because Cambridge really care about them. Furthermore, your year 12 exam results form the foundation of your A Level predictions (and potentially results if your exams are modular). If you are from a state school or if you're not a straight A*/A student or an ethnic minority, honestly don't be put off applying. I'm all of the above and they still gave me an offer - never bring yourself down or think it's not possible, IT IS. GO FOR IT.

ReputationRep:
    College: Clare
    Offer Conditions: Unknown. Still wondering if its going to be a conditional or unconditional offer, given I applied with my final grades.
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, waiting on the letter

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): International School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): International School IB final grades: 44/45

General Comments & Advice: Good luck to everyone else

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Rejected

Course: Biological Natural Sciences
    College: St Catharine's
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, at about 9am UK time

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): Lithuania (EU)

Reflection
    Strengths: From the feedback I've heard from other candidates, I got a feeling that I did quite well on the admissions assessment. Also, my grades are quite high, but I don't know how much weight they carry, given that I'm not from UK.
    Weaknesses: I think the main reason I got rejected is because I failed hard at maths during the interview. Also, I didn't quite like my personal statement, it turned out to be rather dull.
    Interview Assessment: I had two interviews. The first one went well, it was mostly biology-based. The second one... not so much, there were a couple of maths questions that I failed terribly.
    Why did you chose your college? I had a list of criteria (like a 24/7 library, a central location, etc.), and St Catharine's was the only one that met all of them.
    Where else did you apply? Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sheffield, Dundee
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Edinburgh, if they're going to give me an offer; else, Glasgow.

General Comments & Advice: Don't get too attached to the place before you receive a decision letter. Don't go on tumblr pages and don't watch cambridge vloggers while waiting for your letter. In case of a rejection, it will only increase your disappointment.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Course: History
    College: King's
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, 9:46am this morning

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State grammar
    GCSE Grades: 2 A*s, 6 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs.
    AS Subjects & Grades: French A, English Literature A, Government and Politics B
    A2 Predictions: AAA (gonna prove them wrong!)
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score):
    Other:

Reflection
    Strengths: Uh.....
    Weaknesses: Underestimating myself, judging by the conviction with which I told myself I had been rejected last night.
    Interview Assessment: Moderately good.
    Why did you chose your college? It's one of the best for history, it's slap bang in the middle of Cambridge and it's also got a very nice choir that I'd like to be in.
    Where else did you apply? York and Durham.
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? York.
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight?

If you're a 2018 applicant reading this, GET YOUR PS IN EARLY AND READ THE INFORMATION ON THE CAMBRIDGE SITE!!! Trust me, it'll save you so much stress!!

ReputationRep:
    Course: English
    College: Churchill
    Offer Conditions: unconditional (already done alevels)
    How did you first hear and when? Email
    School Type: state then private
    GCSE Grades: 6A*5A1B
    Subjects & Grades: Pre-U English D1, A level Philosophy and Ethics A*, A level maths A, A level Physics A, AS Further Maths B

ReputationRep:

Course: Classics
    College: Christ's
    Offer Conditions: A*AA (with A* in Latin and Classical Greek)
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Saw an email which had been sent at 09:20, also had received a latter that day

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 10A* 1A
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*

Reflection
    Strengths: I was happy with my grades and with my engagement around my subject.
    Weaknesses: One of my interviews didn't go too well and I'm not sure how my admissions test went although I felt I could have done better
    Interview Assessment: My first interview was with 2 people and that was rather difficult, the next two went much better - ironically when content which I had not prepared or seen came up!
    Why did you chose your college? Its location in the centre of town and its size
    Where else did you apply? Exeter, Warwick, UCL, KCL
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Exeter

I'm very happy, I was quite sure that I was going to be pooled or rejected based on the fact that the interview which went badly was with the Director of Studies, but fortunately that did not happen.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Natural Sciences Physical
    College: Gonville and Caius
    Conditions: A*A*A with A in Further Maths AS
    How did you first hear and when? Letter at 12:30

I'm so happy! Now gotta get studying to make the grades

Good luck / congratulations / commiserations to everyone!

[SIZE=1][URL=http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app]Posted from TSR Mob

ReputationRep:

Course: NatSci physical
    College: Emmanuel
    Offer Conditions: roughly equivalent to A*A*A* in Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths and an average of an A across all my subjects
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Netherlands)

Where else did you apply?
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Still waiting for Durham and St Andrews, also applied to Wageningen in my home country

ReputationRep:

Course: Mathematics
    College: Kings
    Offer Conditions: 2 A*s 1 A 1, 1 STEP II and III
    How did you first hear and when? Email about 10 am
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other):
    GCSE Grades: 5 A*s 5 As and a B
    AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, FM, Bio, Chem
    A2 Predictions: 4 A*s
    Reflection
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Interview Assessment: 6 and 8
    Why did you chose your college? No particular reason tbh
    Where else did you apply? Leeds, Imperial, Durham and Newcastle
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Course: Philosophy
    College: Clare
    Offer Conditions: don't know yet, will be in the letter.
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, letter will arrive in due course with more details.

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State sixth form college.
    GCSE Grades: 6 A*s, 6 As.
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA English Literature, Philosophy, French and Music.
    A2 Predictions: Not predictions, as I've got my A levels and was applying in my gap year. A* in Philosophy, As in French and Music

Reflection
    Strengths: I suppose that my interview must have been a strength, as my paper record is good but not exceptional.
    Weaknesses: Didn't finish the admissions assessment... also not a particularly high UMS average, I worried a lot about that!
    Interview Assessment: Didn't finish part 1 of theat interview admissions assessment, but I think that I acquitted myself reasonably well in part 2. No idea about the interview, but they let me in so?
    Why did you choose your college? For the choir primarily, I will be auditioning for a choral award now!
    Where else did you apply? Durham, UCL, King's College, Edinburgh. Got offers from Durham, UCL and King's, haven't heard from Edinburgh.
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Not sure if this applies as I'm applying post results, but UCL would be second choice I think.

ReputationRep:

Course: Engineering
    College: Jesus
    Offer Conditions: Pending (letter hasn't arrived yet)
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at about half 10

Optional
    Nat 5: 6A's
    Higher: 6A's
    Advanced Higher: 4A's

Reflection: I'm a re-applicant and I felt just as nervous this time round as I did last year. If anyone isn't successful this year and is thinking of reapplying the advice I would give is to make sure and take your time thinking it through. As much as I'm delighted with how it turned out for me it has been incredibly nerve wracking to go through everything again with no guarantee I'd end up in a different position than last year.

Interview Assessment: I had two. I thought the first went pretty well but I was convinced I was going to be rejected after the second.
    Why did you chose your college? I just really liked the feel of the place when I visited on the open day.
    Where else did you apply? Imperial, Strathclyde and UCL
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Imperial
    General Comments & Advice: Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard back yet and to any future applicants who stumble across this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Accepted (somehow!!!)

Course: Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic
    College: Trinity
    Offer Conditions: A*AA
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email (at 9:04) - first in my year to hear back from Cambridge

Home, EU or International (Country): EU
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): private boarding
    GCSE Grades: 8A*
    AS Subjects & Grades: French A (100%), Music A, English lit B, EPQ predicted A*
    A2 Predictions: 3A* (help)

Strengths: I really love the Middle Ages and couldn't imagine studying anything else. I'm good at languages, enjoy studying literature, and attended the history AS lessons even though I wasn't allowed to sit the exam.
    Weaknesses: I'm often not very confident and don't officially study history.
    Interview Assessment: I was literally jumping up and down in my chair because Alfred the Great.

Why did you chose your college? Wanted bigger college to offset small course, good location, has a lot of music, I have a friend who is there and showed me around and it looked nice
    Where else did you apply? UCL (Viking and Old Norse Studies), Edinburgh (Scandinavian studies and History), St Andrews (Medieval History and English Lit)
    Insurance choice? UCL Viking and Old Norse studies

ReputationRep:

Course: Engineering
    College: St John's
    Offer Conditions: A*(Maths - achieved last year), A*(Physics), A(FM/Chemistry)
    How did you first hear and when? Email at 13.14 on 12/01/2016
    Optional
    Home (England)
    School Type Private (boarding)
    GCSE Grades: 12A*
    AS Subjects & Grades: Maths A - (also did maths A level last year - A*)
    A2 Predictions: 5A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, Biology)

Reflection
    Strengths: Passionate about engineering, problem solving (Olympiads, e.g. BMO, C3L6)
    Interview Assessment: Managed to answer all the questions relatively comfortably
    Why did you chose your college? Beautiful, Choir, Central, Sports pitches right next door, River, Quite big
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Bristol, Bath, Southampton
    Insurance choice? Bath/Durham

Work hard for the Admission's Test and all the work you do will prepare you for the interview and the rest of the year of Physics/Mechanics.

ReputationRep:

Course: Computer Science
    College: Girton
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A, in any order
    How did you first hear and when?: Letter, around noon

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (technically)
    GCSE Grades: 10A* 1A
    AS Subjects & Grades: Math, Further Math, Physics, and a humanity. All A, 93.3% SUMS average.
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*, Math. Further Math, humanity.

Reflection
    Strengths: Very strong supercurriculars. Best GCSEs in school by a large margin. A lot of relevant work experience. 'Glowing' reference. Self-teaching a couple of math modules for fun.
    Weaknesses: Not taking CS A2, although Girton recommends it. AS UMS wasn't amazing. Poor personal statement. Dropped Physics after AS (good thing it was linear, my UMS was quite poor, but it wasn't counted).
    Interview Assessment: Interview was very fun. In the CS one, just blathered about my supercurriculars - I have a strong interest in a niche area of the subject and it turned out that my interviewer did too. Also had a bit of a debate with the other interviewer. Math interview also went okay, was prepared for much harder questions than they gave. Answered more questions than recommended in the CSAT because I had spare time.
    Why did you choose your college? Didn't want to risk getting pooled. Was the only college which would let me walk on the grass. Interests of research fellows matched mine (one of them ended up interviewing me!).
    Where else did you apply? Edinburgh, Glasgow, some other ones I don't care about. Offers so far are AAB-AAA.
    Insurance choice? I haven't yet decided whether to firm Edinburgh or Cambridge.

Work hard at GCSEs. Smash your AS year, aim for 90+ UMS, 95 if you can. Don't worry about how 'impressive' your supercurriculars are, only that you're demonstrating passion. Don't be afraid to disagree with your interviewer. If you mention something on your personal statement, make sure you can explain it. Study hard for the admissions exam. But don't stress if you don't get in, or you feel the interview went badly, or whatever. There's other unis out there, Cambridge isn't necessarily the best for you.

ReputationRep:

Course: Architecture
    College: St. John
    Offer Conditions: Conditional (IB: 41 w/ 776)
    How did you first hear and when?: Email

Optional
    School Type: Private
    IB: Physics, Maths, English, Norwegian, History, Visual Art
    IB Predictions: Not sure, just applied anyway

Reflection
    Strengths: None, apart from a genuine interest in the subject i guess (maybe my portfolio and interview)
    Weaknesses: pretty weak grades (sub-40s), felt I did terrible with the written assessment
    Interview Assessment: my first interview ever! Just talked until they kicked me out
    Why did you chose your college? Open application because YOLO
    Where else did you apply? UCL, Bath, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Hong Kong
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Haven't decided
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? HKU or UCL

Basically just chill. Out of all the Oxbridge applicants at my school, I was probably the dumbest one (questionable credentials on paper, and I literally walked by my counsellor's room on the day before deadline and decided to apply for fun), but I got an offer and they didn't. I think as long as you got decent grades, a genuine interest – and the ability to argue for it in an interview – you may just have a chance....(to completely fail the offer in May )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.