Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Accepted

Course: English
    College: Lucy Cavendish
    Offer Conditions: Unconditional
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): OG mail. Actually, no -- it was via Gmail.

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): International (Malaysia)
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private sixth form (it's slightly different over here)
    GCSE Grades (SPM): A+AAA-A-A-BC+C+C (had extenuating circumstances)
    AS Subjects & Grades: N/A (did linear)
    A2 Grades: A*A*A*c

Other:

Reflection
    Strengths: The interview was enjoyable. Having an award in the subject might have helped. Did lots of supplementary reading.
    Weaknesses: Ghastly written assessment, to say the least.

Interview Assessment:
    Why did you choose your college?
    They were extremely supportive from the start, unlike my initial choice. Not the only reason, but I'd prefer not revealing more.

Where else did you apply?
    Durham, UCL, KCL, Westminster, UC Maastricht, the ANU/NUS joint degree programme, CUHK, CityU, New College of the Humanities and a few others I don't quite recall.

If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?
    Honestly? UC Maastricht in the Netherlands or CUHK, without a doubt.

General Comments & Advice:
    Stay calm!

ReputationRep:

Course: Linguisitcs
    College: Robinson
    Offer Conditions: A*AA
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter received on 12/01/17

Optional
    Home, EU or International (Country): Home
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State school
    GCSE Grades: 15 A*s
    AS Subjects & Grades: French (A), Spanish (A), Maths (A), English Language (A), Philosophy and Ethics (A), Critical Thinking (A)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
    Other Qualifications
    IB (with predicted score):
    Other:

Reflection
    Strengths: Strong GCSE results and consistent AS grades
    Weaknesses: I think I look good on paper and then I struggle when I am put on the spot in interviews - I get very nervous.
    Interview Assessment: I thought it went quite badly and I felt like I gave very simple answers
    Why did you chose your college? I didn't want to be in the city centre. My college is opposite the university library and opposite the Sidgwick Site. It doesn't get many tourists visiting so the atmosphere is generally quite relaxed.
    Where else did you apply? UCL, Warwick, Lancaster and York
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Lancaster or York

ReputationRep:

Course: Classics
    College: King's
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9.02 am with a letter waiting for me when I got home.

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Did GCSEs at private school and A-Levels at state sixth form college.
    GCSE Grades: 11 A*s
    AS Subjects & Grades: Classical Civilisation (A), Latin (A), Maths (A), Government & Politics (A)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A (Class Civ, Latin, Maths)
    Other Qualifications: EPQ - Predicted A

Reflection
    Strengths: High UMS at AS - 200/200 in Classical Civilisation, with a 97.5 best 3 average overall.
    Weaknesses: Personal statement was probably average at best, which is not ideal in a humanities subject.
    Interview Assessment: Thought it went terribly overall, got extremely basic questions wrong and mis-remembered things at times. Pre-interview test was also not amazing.
    Why did you chose your college? Loved it at the open day, great fellows, great atmosphere, and I wanted a large college. Plus it's so pretty!
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Exeter, Warwick, Leeds
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably Warwick but I have yet to visit the others.

General Comments & Advice: I know most people say their interviews went awfully, but I know for a fact that mine weren't great because I know I got some ridiculously easy questions wrong (wish I could share them so you know I'm not exaggerating!). So honestly, even if you know your interview wasn't great, you can still get an offer - don't let it get you down!

ReputationRep:

Course: English
    College: Clare College
    Offer Conditions: A* A A
    How did you first hear and when? Email (12th January)

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar
    GCSE Grades: 6 A*s, 8As, 1B
    AS Subjects & Grades: Geography A, English A, Theatre Studies A, History B
    A2 Predictions: A* A* A

Reflection
    Strengths: Definitely extremely unexpected, I'm so happy that I have been accepted because I fell in love with it!
    Weaknesses: Streeeessss!
    Interview Assessment: I thought I was mediocre (but I guess I always do) however, the interviewers were extremely complementary.
    Why did you chose your college? It's highly regarded for English (and very pretty!)
    Where else did you apply? Applied and accepted to Durham (A*AA), Nottingham (unconditional and on the High Achievers' scheme), York (AAA) and Newcastle (AAA)
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agirlontheweb)

Course: Classics
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 9.02 am with a letter waiting for me when I got home.

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Did GCSEs at private school and A-Levels at state sixth form college.
    GCSE Grades: 11 A*s
    AS Subjects & Grades: Classical Civilisation (A), Latin (A), Maths (A), Government & Politics (A)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A (Class Civ, Latin, Maths)
    Other Qualifications: EPQ - Predicted A

Reflection
    Strengths: High UMS at AS - 200/200 in Classical Civilisation, with a 97.5 best 3 average overall.
    Weaknesses: Personal statement was probably average at best, which is not ideal in a humanities subject.
    Interview Assessment: Thought it went terribly overall, got extremely basic questions wrong and mis-remembered things at times. Pre-interview test was also not amazing.
    Why did you chose your college? Loved it at the open day, great fellows, great atmosphere, and I wanted a large college. Plus it's so pretty!
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Exeter, Warwick, Leeds
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably Warwick but I have yet to visit the others.

General Comments & Advice: I know most people say their interviews went awfully, but I know for a fact that mine weren't great because I know I got some ridiculously easy questions wrong (wish I could share them so you know I'm not exaggerating!). So honestly, even if you know your interview wasn't great, you can still get an offer - don't let it get you down!
    Well done on your offer!! Your grades are super impressive and I'm sure you'll enjoy Cambridge. Out of interest, how were you able to achieve 200/200 in AS Level Classics? I'm doing that now and I'd like to aim as highly as possible

ReputationRep:

Course: Geography

College:Trinity Hall

Offer Conditions:A*AA

How did you first hear and when? email

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammer
    GCSE Grades: 7A*, 3A
    AS Subjects & Grades: Biology C Chemistry B Geography A French B
    A2 Predictions: AAAB

Reflection
    Strengths: Must have been the interview, maybe submitted work or admissions test
    Weaknesses: Grades, how did I even get an interview
    Interview Assessment: Think it was ok, wasn't fully sure
    Why did you chose your college? It was small and seemed homely, while also being central
    Where else did you apply? Leicester, Loughborough, Exeter, Southampton
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably Exeter

General Comments & Advice: Just go for it, I thought I'd never get an interview but if you just put yourself out there then it might happen
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Course: Chemical Engineering via Engineering (H810)
    College: Robinson College
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, any order.
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Informed by my UCAS Coordinator at approximately 15:20

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar
    GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*AAAABBB
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAAB (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
    Other: none

Reflection
    Strengths: High UMS, several competitions I've performed well in.
    Weaknesses: GCSE grades, Bits of my PS and SAQ felt a little weak.
    Interview Assessment: Went pretty well. Interviewer didn't think I could pull on a piece of string but I could answer most the questions I was asked.
    Why did you chose your college?: Open Applicant
    Where else did you apply?: ICL, Loughborough, UCL, Warwick.
    Insurance Choice: Loughborough, would have firmed Imperial college had I not received an offer.

General Comments:
    I really want to know about how I did in the ENGAA, apparently it was the 'hard' part of the application.
    Apparently my coordinator wasn't meant to receive the mail confirmation until next week (according to him), so I'm interested to know why it arrived early
    Advice:
    Try to avoid being particularly disheartened by below average (for Cambridge) GCSEs.
    Find work experience and similar projects to help you work out what course you want to do.
    ---

ReputationRep:

Course: Physical Natural Sciences
    College: Selwyn
    Offer Conditions: A*A*AA (Chemistry/Maths/F. Maths/Biology AS)
    How did you first hear and when? Letter when I got home from college

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
    GCSE Grades: 7 A*, 2 A, 2 B
    AS Subjects & Grades: Maths (95% UMS over C1, C2, S1), History, Chemistry
    A2 Predictions: A* A* A* A (Maths, Chemistry, F. Maths, Biology AS)

Reflection
    Strengths: Good PS and SAQ PS, pretty decent interviews
    Weaknesses: NSAA, one interview went horribly
    Interview Assessment: General interview was good, Chem/Maths interview was good, Physics/MatSci interview was terrible.
    Why did you chose your college? Got moved from Pembroke around September/October time before admissions testing.
    Where else did you apply? Bath, Warwick, Sussex, UEA
    What is your Insurance choice? Bath probably

General Comments & Advice: Work hard from the beginning, prove to your teachers that you deserve high predicted grades, strive for perfection. Even if you don't get in at least you can say that you tried your damn best.

ReputationRep:

Course: Mathematics
    College: Selwyn
    Offer*Conditions: A*A*A 1,1 (step 2&3)
    How did you first hear and when?*(email/letter/owl): letter

Home, EU*or*International*(Country): Home
    School Type*(Private/State/Grammar/other):*State
    GCSE Grades:*8A*1A
    AS Subjects & Grades:*Maths A, Physics A and Chemistry A
    A2 Predictions:*A*A*A*
    Other Qualifications
    IB*(with predicted score):*
    Other:*

Reflection
    Strengths:*AS UMS. Overall 988/1000 (full in chemistry, 299/300 in M1,2,3) And an exceptional teacher
    Weaknesses:*Only recently began intensive maths preparation
    Interview Assessment: I had 3, 1 general, 2 academic. General and 1 academic were relatively successful, came out of the second academic feeling like my soul had been ripped out of me.
    Why did you chose your college?*I went there with my school and thought it looked absolutely amazing, later went on an open day and was sold.
    Where else did you apply?*Imperial, Durham, St.Andrews and Warwick
    If you were accepted, what is your*Insurance*choice?*Imperial

ReputationRep:

Course: Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion
    College: Pembroke
    Offer Conditions: A*A*A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter arrived with the post this morning!

Optional
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
    GCSE Grades: 8A*, 2A
    AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA in Religious studies, Latin, Chemistry, Geography (now dropped)
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
    Other Qualifications: A in EPQ

Reflection
    Strengths: Personal Statement, Admissions assessment
    Weaknesses: UMS - my average was 87, although it was clearly still good enough!
    Interview Assessment: I think the one I had with the director of studies went quite well - I felt pretty comfortable afterwards going into my second, which wasn't as good but still okay. I enjoyed both and felt strangely relaxed.
    Why did you chose your college? Gut instinct, really? Not much research, although I heard he food was good.
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Manchester, Nottingham
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Manchester - Durham possibly but only if I get into my preference college.

General Comments & Advice: If you want to apply, then go for it! I wasn't sure of my chances honestly but to get my letter today was fantastic!

ReputationRep:

Course: Modern and Medieval Languages (German and Russian)
    College: Queens'
    Offer Conditions: A* A A
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter around 1pm

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 4 A*s and 6 As
    AS Subjects & Grades: German (A), Media Studies (A), Maths (B), English Literature (C)
    A2 Predictions: German (A*), Media Studies (A*), Maths (A),

Reflection
    Strengths: Submitted essay, personal statement
    Weaknesses: At-interview assessment, UMS scores
    Interview Assessment: The German interview could have gone better than it did, but the Russian made up for it
    Why did you chose your college? It's large, near the town centre and friendly!
    Where else did you apply? Birmingham, Bristol, Bath and UCL
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bristol

ReputationRep:
    Decision: Accepted from Pool
    Course: Biological Natural Sciences
    College: Originally Selwyn then pooled to Homerton
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email 9:30am
    Optional Home, EU or International (Country): Home
    School Type: Grammar
    GCSE Grades: 10A* 1A
    AS Subjects & Grades: 4As in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A - Maths, Biology, Chemistry
    Reflection Strengths: Grades, Admissions assessment (possibly)
    Weaknesses: Subject Interview
    Interview Assessment: My general interview went well, but I struggled quite a bit in some parts of my subject interview
    Where else did you apply? I also applied to Durham, Manchester, Birmingham and York. I have offers from all of them but I'm not sure what my insurance choice will be, most likely Durham though.

ReputationRep:

Course: Education (Policy and International Development track)
    College: Lucy Cavendish
    Offer Conditions: Distinction in all graded Access units
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter

Optional
    Other: Access to HE - predicted distinction in every unit

Reflection
    Strengths: I feel my interviews went really well, conversation flowed naturally and "unfortunately" ran out of time in both.
    Weaknesses: Admissions assessment for sure.
    Why did you chose your college? Entering HE as a mature student I wanted to find the right college that would suit my needs and I feel like Lucy is the right fit for me. It's also super friendly.
    Where else did you apply? Lincoln, Bournemouth, UCL and Exeter (all for English)
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Lincoln

General Comments & Advice: Definitely trust your gut feeling about how the interview process went - as soon as I left the interviews I felt like I had given it my all and done my very best and it's paid off!

ReputationRep:

Course:Music
    College: St Catharines

Optional
    GCSE Grades:2 A* 7A 2B
    AS Subjects & Grades:A A A B
    A2 Predictions: A* A* A ( no chance it's happening)

Reflection
    Strengths: I think my interview went well.
    Weaknesses: Didn't smile enough 😂
    Interview Assessment:
    Why did you chose your college? Looked around all the colleges and just lived Catz.
    If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? N/A

You've got to be in it to win it. Give it a go and anything can happen. Show the interviewers you are passionate about your subject and do something different to everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheryl____C)
    Course: Bio Natsci
    College: Newnham
    Offer Conditions: I don't know yet but expect A*A*A
    How did you first hear and when? email and half an hour ago
    Hiya, me too! I have an offer for bionatsci from Newnham! Are you going to the offer holder open day?
    My email came this morning and letter came in the post, it said A*A*A on my letter so I assume you will be the same

ReputationRep:
    Course: BioNatSci
    College: Newnham
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email this morning and then got home to read the letter in the evening.

Optional
    GCSE Grades: 4A*s 5As 2Bs
    AS Subjects & Grades: Biology (didnt do AS), maths A, Chemistry B, Further Maths B
    A2 Predictions: A*A*A

Reflection
    Interview Assessment: The first went really well and was good fun talking about all the things I love. The second wasnt very good but it was about areas I'm not very passionate about so I hope that came through.
    Why did you chose your college? because its beautiful
    Where else did you apply? Durham, Manchester, Edinburgh and York.

Never believe you're not good enough, work hard and you will be.

ReputationRep:

Course: Linguistics
    College: Newnham (originally applied to Clare)

How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at 11am, then letter came at 12.30!
    School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private school

GCSE Grades: 10 A*s
    AS Subjects & Grades: English Literature (high A), Language (medium A), History (high A) and Classical Civilisation (high A) - 94% raw mark average
    A2 Predictions: 3 A*s in English Lit, Lang and History

Strengths: I definitely have the grades and worked super hard to get them, and I had done a fair bit of extra-curricular to support my application eg. essay competitions
    Weaknesses: I gave a couple of silly answers at the interview (especially for the most obvious question - "why do you want to study Linguistics?" - and my subject choices didn't give me the same edge as people studying maths and a few languages
    Why did you choose your college?: I chose Clare because it looked pretty and I liked the atmosphere, but now I've seen Newnham I've fallen in love with the stunning grounds, beautiful architecture and friendliness of current students!
    Where else did you apply?: Edinburgh, UCL, York and Newcastle
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?: Edinburgh if I get an offer, UCL if I don't

I'm absolutely in shock. I spent about a month preparing myself for the inevitable rejection, so I don't quite know what to do with myself now. I'm so pleased to be pooled to a wonderful college and I know I'll adore it at the open day. Any Newnhamites, message me and I'd love to meet y'all!

Some general tips and comments (take away what you will!):
    - Come down the day before your interview or you will arrive flustered and sweaty and possibly stick the the sofa... speaking from experience...
    - Bring food in your bag to the interview because when you're sat cramming for the interview and need a snack, Sainsburys seems very far away!
    - Try and make sure your A Level subjects fit your Cambridge subject because otherwise you'll waste hundreds of hours fretting over being rejected for silly and preventable reasons!
    - Get drunk the day before opening your acceptance/rejection letter. Wine helps you sleep and heck, you won't be sleeping much in the run up
    - If you have any kind of extenuating circumstances, use them. Don't be afraid because "it seems silly"!
    - Read lots of big books about your subject to make sure you ACTUALLY like it. It would be a shame if you made it all the way to Cambridge, opened up your first big textbook and realised you actually hated aerial robotics
    - Make sure you have lots of good friends giving you love and support
    - Remind yourself that this does not determine your self worth

Such massive congratulations to everyone, I hope to see lots of you in October!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Education with English, Drama and the Arts
    College: Homerton
    Offer Conditions: IB 42 with 776 at HL
    How did you first hear and when? 10am this morning by post
    Home, EU or International: Home
    School Type: Private
    GCSE Grades: 7A* 3A
    Insurance choice: Durham

ReputationRep:

Course: Physical Natsci
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email this morning

School Type: Grammar
    GCSE Grades: 12A* 1A
    AS Subjects & Grades: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A)

Reflection
    Strengths: Personal Statement
    Weaknesses: My second interview was a disaster, low UMS in 2 maths modules
    Why did you chose your college? Central location, active mountaineering club and it's generally very pretty
    Where else did you apply? UCL, Durham, Warwick and Manchester
    If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? UCL

ReputationRep:

Course: History
    College: Fitzwilliam
    Offer Conditions: 3 As Scottish Advanced Highers
    How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter when I got home from school!

Optional
    GCSE Grades: (nat 5) 7 As
    AS Subjects & Grades: (highers) 5 A1s
    A2 Predictions: (advanced highers) 3 A1s

Reflection

Interview Assessment: went poorly - think that's why i was pooled!
    Where else did you apply? Scottish Unis - St Andrew's/ Edinburgh will be Insurance

as a scottish state school kid i'm the first girl to ever get an offer from oxbridge at my school and the second overall so pretty thrilled
    ---

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.