The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Decision: Accepted
Course: MML (Spanish and ab initio Italian)
College: Clare College
Offer Conditions: A*AA
How did you first hear and when?: Email at about 11:30

Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
GCSE Grades: 6A* 6A (achieved these at a grammar school)
AS Subjects & Grades: Spanish A, Maths A, Economics A, English Lit B
A2 Predictions: Spanish A*, Maths A*, Economics A*

Reflection
Strengths: Maths UMS: 93, 93, 100, Predicted grades (Economics is slightly ambitious though). I'm also very enthusiastic about languages; everyone knows that I'm crazy about speaking Spanish and I love the country + culture.
Weaknesses: I got a C in one English Lit paper which lowered the overall grade to a B.
Interview Assessment: I had a test at the interview and I waffled a lot so wasn't sure how well it went. In the Spanish interview I found it difficult speaking about a text I'd never seen in Spanish, it was so hard to think of the vocab I needed. I really enjoyed my Italian interview though and I was so glad I ended with that as it was like a nice friendly conversation and I could go home feeling reasonable optimistic.
Why did you chose your college? I had lunch there during the MML Open Day in March. It was so pretty and everyone was really nice.
Where else did you apply? Warwick, Exeter, Leeds, Birmingham
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick AAB
Decision: Rejected
Course: Natural Sciences Physical
Letter
Home
Private School
GCSEs: 6A*, 3A, 3B
AS: Physics A, Maths A, Further Maths A, Chemistry A
Predicted: A*A*A*A
Strengths: 94.6 AS maths and Further Maths UMS, D of E Bronze, Silver & Gold, various maths challenge competitions and courses, Young Enterpise
Weaknesses: Dyslexia
Interview Assessment: guess Part A 70% Part B 30%
College applied to: Robinson
Offers in Physics from: Durham, Manchester, Exter and Southampton
Huge effort for one little rejection letter
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Maths
College:Clare College
Offer Conditions:A*A*A Plus 1s in step 2 and 3
How did you first hear and when? : email at about 12 pm
Optional Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
GCSE Grades: 5A*s 6As
AS Subjects & Grades:Maths(A) Further Maths(A) Physics(A) Computer Science(A)
A2 Predictions:Maths(A*) Further Maths(A*) Physics(A*)
Strengths: Good second interview and full ums in further maths
Weaknesses:Weak first interview
Interview Assessment: Nice Maths questions
Why did you chose your college?:I went there on a summer school and I really enjoyed my time there.
Where else did you apply?: Durham, Warwick, Imperial, Edinburgh
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?: Durham
General Comments & Advice: I thought my interview wasn't great but I guess it's component on making a decision.
Original post by Magnificat7
College: Homerton
Offer Conditions: IB 42 with 776 at HL
How did you first hear and when? 10am this morning by post
Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: Private
GCSE Grades: 7A* 3A
Insurance choice: Durham

What subject?

Course: Natural Sciences (Physical)
College: St Catharine's
Offer Conditions: A* further maths, A* physics or chem, A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter at 11:30

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): state
GCSE Grades: 9A* 2A
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography, all As
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: NSAA
Weaknesses: 2nd interview, they basically did one question for me
Interview Assessment: made some silly mistakes but overall decent
Why did you chose your college? location, looked nice and high number of Natsci applicants
Where else did you apply? Imperial, Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton all physics
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Birmingham
Original post by magails71
What subject?

Just realised I missed out the course, duh, have edited post, but it's Education with English, drama and the Arts

Course: Education/Psychology
College: Homerton
Offer Conditions: A* A A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email 9.45am followed by letter in afternoon post

Optional
A2 Predictions: English Lang A* Psychology A* Geography A*

Reflection
Strengths: Maybe PS, references and written assignment?
Weaknesses: Sitting in the interviewers chair at the start of the interview!
Interview Assessment: Pretty awful - didn't last long!
Why did you chose your college? Nearly didn't go and see it on Open Day but fell in love with it - fantastic library, accommodation in all three years and all the staff and students were really friendly.
Where else did you apply? Bath Bristol
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bath

General Comments & Advice: Definitely worth applying even if you are unsure - what have you got to lose?

Course: Mathematics
College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: A*A*A and 1 in STEP II & III
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): E-mail 9:43am

Optional
GCSE Grades: 7A*s 4 As
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Latin.
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*AA

Reflection
Strengths: Not falling apart in interview I guess!
Weaknesses: Felt like I failed in second interview.
Interview Assessment: Interesting maths problems.
Why did you chose your college? I find it beautiful and the college has the most mathmos.
Where else did you apply? Warwick, Imperial, Newcastle and Southampton
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Southampton

!!!

Course: Law
College: Pringlehouse (Peterhouse)
Offer Conditions: TBC
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Owl, 12:30

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State sixth form college, mainly does vocational courses like construction and hair with an A-levels department on the side
GCSE Grades: A*AAAABBBBCCC
AS Subjects & Grades: Distinction* + AAB - 98 UMS & 66 UMS in my two Politics papers, and I got nearly full marks in Literature which I think was mentioned in my reference
A2 Predictions: Distinction* + A*A*A

Reflection
Strengths: Banging personal statement, smashed the interview assessment, smashed the interview with the Director of Studies, those GCSEs were top 10 in my school, good progression from GCSEs to AS, bad sixth form, low progression to university, first in family to go to university, been in care, disability.
Weaknesses: That split between 98 and 66 UMS in Politics and the B in History. I believe that made be a borderline candidate where my performance at interview would be used to work out whether I'm more on the 98 UMS side than the 66 UMS side or not. During my second interview I seriously struggled for 10 minutes but brought it back around and smashed it with enthusiasm.
Interview Assessment: Interview with DoS was glorious, 9/10. Second interview had a very bad blip where I was so confused, but I finally got it in the end and then the interview went 10/10. I believe that if I wasn't able to bring it back, I probably wouldn't have an offer.
Why did you chose your college? First and foremost it offered me the best chance of getting in for my course. It's also quite pretty, and there's some status in being the 'oldest' college. I also liked how it maintains all the Cambridge traditions. Though if I could have a choice of absolutely any college, Peterhouse wouldn't be my first choice.
Where else did you apply? UCL, Durham, Bristol, and Manchester.
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bristol if they give me an offer!

General Comments & Advice:
I think I may have the lowest grades without extenuating circumstances that got an offer! Can anyone beat me?

Don't believe them when they say your college choice does not affect your chances of getting in, it absolutely does. It is the individual college that accepts you, not the department like in Durham. The colleges are not created equal, and what is good enough for one college will get you rejected at another. Make sure you do your research on which colleges consistently have the best applicant/offer ratio for your subject. Look up the GCSE profiles of their successful applicants. Generally don't apply to King's/Trinity unless you want to be rejected.

!!!

Original post by Abstract_Prism

!!!

College: Pringlehouse (Peterhouse)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Owl, 12:30

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State sixth form college, mainly does vocational courses like construction and hair with an A-levels department on the side
GCSE Grades: A*AAAABBBBCCC
AS Subjects & Grades: Distinction* + AAB - 98 UMS & 66 UMS in my two Politics papers, and I got nearly full marks in Literature which I think was mentioned in my reference
A2 Predictions: Distinction* + A*A*A

Reflection
Strengths: Banging personal statement, smashed the interview assessment, smashed the interview with the Director of Studies, those GCSEs were top 10 in my school, good progression from GCSEs to AS, bad sixth form, low progression to university, first in family to go to university, been in care, disability.
Weaknesses: That split between 98 and 66 UMS in Politics and the B in History. I believe that made be a borderline candidate where my performance at interview would be used to work out whether I'm more on the 98 UMS side than the 66 UMS side or not. During my second interview I seriously struggled for 10 minutes but brought it back around and smashed it with enthusiasm.
Interview Assessment: Interview with DoS was glorious, 9/10. Second interview had a very bad blip where I was so confused, but I finally got it in the end and then the interview went 10/10. I believe that if I wasn't able to bring it back, I probably wouldn't have an offer.
Why did you chose your college? First and foremost it offered me the best chance of getting in for my course. It's also quite pretty, and there's some status in being the 'oldest' college. I also liked how it maintains all the Cambridge traditions. Though if I could have a choice of absolutely any college, Peterhouse wouldn't be my first choice.
Where else did you apply? UCL, Durham, Bristol, and Manchester.
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bristol if they give me an offer!

I think I may have the lowest grades without extenuating circumstances that got an offer! Can anyone beat me?

Don't believe them when they say your college choice does not affect your chances of getting in, it absolutely does. It is the individual college that accepts you, not the department like in Durham. The colleges are not created equal, and what is good enough for one college will get you rejected at another. Make sure you do your research on which colleges consistently have the best applicant/offer ratio for your subject. Look up the GCSE profiles of their successful applicants. Generally don't apply to King's/Trinity unless you want to be rejected.

!!!

My grades were much lower den urs and i got 2 offers m8

Course: Economics
College: Caius
Offer Conditions: A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths and Economics
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter when I got home after school at like 3pm
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: Classics (3 years)
College: Pooled from Peterhouse to Girton
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email from Girton, and then an email from my original college telling me to expect an email from Girton.

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): International
IGCSE Grades: 4A* 2A 1B
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAAAA (in English, Classical Studies, Economics, History, Latin and French)
A2 Subjects & Grades: I got my results in January this year - A*A*A*B (in English, Classical Studies, History and French respectively)

Reflection
Strengths: Personal Statement + my AS UMS. I think my PS had some quirky stuff in it, and that could have maybe made me stand out a bit more? My at-interview assessment went fairly well too.
Weaknesses: IGCSE results, first interview performance.
Interview Assessment: First one was unnerving. There was one part of the translation that I simply could not get, no matter how many clues the interviewers gave me, and I think that put me off for the rest of it. In hindsight, I probably needed to know my grammar more thoroughly, and to be a bit more methodical in the way I went translating. I felt more confident in my second interview though, and I feel that showed.
Where else did you apply? Durham, St Andrews, KCL, UCL and some universities in my home country.
(edited 7 years ago)

Course: Economics
College: Peterhouse
Offer Conditions: A* Further Maths, A* Economics, A History (no Maths requirement)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email circa 9.30am

Optional
GCSE Grades: 9A*,1A
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths A, Further Maths A, (Economics and History are linear)

Reflection
Strengths: Maths AS UMS, Personal Statement
Weaknesses: Simple maths at interview
Interview Assessment: Strong start, less strong end
Why did you choose your college? It pretty
Where else did you apply? LSE, KCL, UCL, Warwick
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Undecided
Reply 93

Course: Philosophy
College: Robinson
How did you first hear and when?: Letter at 11:30AM
School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 5A*, 4A and 2B
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAC (Philosophy, Psychology, History, Eng lit)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A

Reflection

Strengths: Second interview in particular I felt went relatively well. Enjoyed the exam. Spent a long, long time on my PS.
Weaknesses: Grades and first interview
Interview Assessment: I was terrified for my first interview and it showed, I waffled and stuttered. However, I was able to identify when the interviewer was trying to, for want of better words, 'catch me out.' Second interview I was myself and was really relaxed. I tried my best to give creative answers to the questions.
Why did you chose your college? Down to Earth, practical, close to Sidgwick site.
Where else did you apply? Durham, Exeter, Nottingham, Manchester.
Insurance choice? Durham.

General Comments & Advice: So worth having a go, even if you're not at all confident about your chances! Very excited.
(edited 7 years ago)
College: Downing
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter; arrived on the 13th because I live in Oxford
Optional Home, EU or International (Country): International; Hong Kong, but study abroad in the UK
GCSE Grades: 10A*s, 2 As
AS Subjects & Grades: Eng Lit, Class civ, Maths, Bio, Chinese AAAAA (including internal exams)
A2 Predictions: A*AAA (dropped Chinese)
Reflection Strengths: Ability to BS on command; including fluffy essay writing
Weaknesses: tendency to panic, spazzle
Interview Assessment: Went well. Interviewers were really really nice. Went out feeling like I nailed it and was pretty happy
Why did you chose your college? Prettiest college in town
Where else did you apply? UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick, other international units
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick/ KCL
General Comments & Advice: Well done to everyone :smile: Hopefully see you all in Oct!! ^^
Original post by Ronnie S
Decision: Rejected

Course: Mathematics (with Physics)
College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: N/A
How did you first hear and when? Email at 9:01

Other: Rejected without being even put in the pool. I do 6 A-Levels including Further Mathematics (Additional) and am predicted straight A*s in all so I have no idea why they didn't even pool me. My interviewer was absolutely abysmal though and was totally intent on catching me out.

Current grades?
Decision: Pooled and rejected
Course: History and Modern Languages
College: St Catharine's
How did you first hear and when?: Email 12/01/17
School Type: Private
GCSE Grades: 11A*1A
IB (Achieved Score - not predictions): 45 with 777HL
University that I will go to: Durham

Obviously a disappointing result but I am sure that Cambridge made a justified decision. Congratulations to all those that gained places! I hope to see many of those who didn't receive offers in Durham.
Reply 97

Course: Medicine
College: Newnham
Offer Conditions: A*A*A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email came through about 11am on the 12th but had to get mum to open my letter that had arrived that morning as I can't access my emails at school.

Optional
GCSE Grades: 6 1/2 A*s 4As 1B
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* Maths Biology Chemistry

Reflection
Strengths: AS grades, SAQ personal statement, BMAT section 1 and presumably interview as well!
Weaknesses: GCSE grades not quite as high as other applicants, BMAT section 2, personal statement probably not great.
Interview Assessment: Felt okay at the time then got thinking about how terrible it was a couple of weeks after! But I must've worked through all the problems well even though I didn't really get much 'right' in my eyes.
Why did you chose your college? Went there on an open day: fell in love! My friends were so weird about it being all girls but it just seemed so beautiful and nice and supportive I just couldn't apply anywhere else.
Where else did you apply? Sheffield, Newcastle, Hull-York
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Sheffield, if I get an offer. Because it's medicine people don't usually get more than 1 or 2 so it could end up being one of the others.

General Comments & Advice: Just go for it! Honestly I never thought I would even get an interview and to actually have an offer now is unreal. I remember coming to an open day in summer and being so sure that I would never be good enough for medicine, let along Cambridge, it's crazy how much can change! So grateful :biggrin:
(completing on behalf of my son)
Course: Physical Natural Sciences
College: Jesus
Offer Conditions: A in Physics
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email on 12th, letter on 13th

Optional
GCSE Grades: 12A*s 1A
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA Additional Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French
A2 Achieved A* Maths A* Further Maths

Reflection
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Interview Assessment: He felt it went pretty well and enjoyed it
Why did you chose your college? Grounds / sports facilities / location
Where else did you apply? Durham Exeter Warwick Manchester
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Was going to be Durham but their offer is higher!
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
College: Applied to Queen', given offer by Murray Edwards
How did you first hear and when? Heard yesterday afternoon by e-mail

Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 6 A*s, 2 As, 1 B

AS Subjects & Grades: 4 As
Drama and Theatre Studies - 93% UMS
English Literature - 80% UMS
History - 87% UMS
Psychology - 82% UMS

A2 Predictions: 3 A*s, 1 A
Drama and Theatre Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
History - A
Psychology - A*

Strengths: Personal statement and predicted grades
Weaknesses: UMS and submitted work
Interview Assessment: It was so-so. There were some awful moments when I had no idea what I was saying, but I think I made some good points on the text that they gave me to read.

Why did you chose your college?
central but not overcrowded with tourists
old and traditional with a modern touch (very pretty)
good academic success
on the river near to the Sidgewick Site
good statistics for my subject
awesome ents, or so I've been told

Where else did you apply?
Durham
York
Exeter
Nottingham

Insurance: Exeter

Feeling a bit dejected that I was pooled - I really loved Queens'!! Everyone says Medwards is supposed to be brilliant, but I'm not quite convinced. It's very different to what I originally wanted, and I'm a bit uneasy about the prospect of going to an all-girls college. Hopefully the Offer-Holders' Open Day will change my mind...

Latest

Trending

Trending