The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Decision: Accepted

(finally that I received my letter with all the details)

Course: Medicine
College: Trinity Hall
Offer Conditions: none (gap year)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email on the 12th at 10:17am (UK time)

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): EU
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): international overseas
IB: 44 (achieved) 777 HL bio, chem, psych + 776 SL eng A L&L, maths, chinese B

Reflection
Strengths: IB results & 2nd interview went really well
Weaknesses: HS transcript grades (kind of like GCSE) & BMAT (5.4, 4.9, 3.5A)
Interview Assessment: 1st interview went okay.. didn't know a couple of things I was asked and that made me nervous. On the other hand, the 2nd interview was amazing. I just had a casual conversation with the interviewers about science. We joked, laughed, I asked questions when I was interested in something.. it was just very natural.
Why did you chose your college? Small, by the river, central but "hidden"
Where else did you apply? Imperial, Exeter, Sheffield, Newcastle (for biomed)
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? either Imperial or Exeter

General Comments & Advice:
I know it sounds strange, but try your best to be relaxed for the interviews. For some reason I was not stressed at all. My interviews felt like having a casual conversation about science with the admission tutors. I loved it so much. I think that made all the difference. As far as preparation goes, just review all you've done at school. Over the few months before the interview read lots of science-related articles and take notes on the ones you find interesting. It might not come up directly at the interview, but you can incorporate your interests from what you read within the conversation indirectly. If you're not clear about anything at the interview, then just ask! Think of the interview as a learning experience.. I think that way you will showcase your passion for your subject the best way possible. If you need any specific advice feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 141

Course: Natural Sciences
College: Queens'
Offer Conditions: A*A*A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
GCSE Grades: 9A* 4A
AS Subjects & Grades:
Chemistry A
Biology A
Maths A
Philosophy and Ethics A
A2 Predictions:
Chemistry A*
Maths A
Biology A*
EPQ A* (not really an A2 but i'm doing it in my A2 year)

Reflection
Strengths: Interview, personal statement
Weaknesses: Maths UMS, confidence
Interview Assessment: 1st interview went horribly, the 2nd interview went very well, with the topics being more in line with my interests and likely areas of study
Why did you chose your college? Location, reputation and aesthetic
Where else did you apply? Durham, York, Warwick, Bath
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? York

General Comments & Advice: UMS and the admissions test isn't everything, my maths UMS (the only subject other than philosophy for which i had UMS) was an average of 89%, and for philosophy it was only 90%, which I understand historically is on the low end. Passion for the subject and the way you think at interview are a huge part of the process which can outweigh (to some degree) shortcomings in weaker areas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Decision: Accepted from Pool (re-interview)

College: Queens' then Selwyn
Offer Conditions: A*A*A with A* in Chemistry
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email, letter came 2 days later

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): UK
GCSE Grades: 12A*
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths A (92)
Biology A (100)
Chemistry A (95)
Spanish A (84)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* Maths, Chem, Bio and A in Welsh Bac
Other Qualifications: Welsh Baccalaureate (takes about as much effort as an A Level without the value)
IB (with predicted score):
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Was totally unaware of any topics brought up in my Selwyn interview yet they thought I had covered them in A level biology. Therefore I think that my ability to work through the brand new material showed something about how I think.
Weaknesses: Froze up and got a bit frustrated in my 2nd Queens' interview and my NSAA was horrible but that does not matter now.
Interview Assessment: No
Why did you chose your college? I liked the river at Queens'!
Where else did you apply? Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Bath (Offers from all for Chemistry)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? UCL at AAA. (Imperial is a harder offer than Cambridge!)

College: Downing
Offer Conditions: A*A*A in any mathematical/science subjects

Home, EU or International : Home
School Type State Grammar
GCSE Grades: 4 A*s, 4 As, 3 Bs (and the funny thing is I only got A*AA in my GCSE science)
AS Subjects & Grades: 4 As in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Economics plus 100 UMS in C1,C2,C3 avg maths UMS was about 90 (Screwed up my further maths modules)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*AA (doing further maths for A2)

Reflection
Strengths: Possibly my NSAA (didn't go well but I think I did better than most), strong reference, Chemistry Olympiad silver and Chemistry Challenge gold, and my interview may have gone well (I couldn't really tell).
Weaknesses: My grades aren't perfect, was unsure about my personal statement and I had a slight mind blank at one interview.
Admissions Assesment: NSAA was horrendously time pressured and a lot hard than the specimen paper (to be expected with most qualifications these days). I ran out of time and ended up guessing 4 questions on chemistry (my speciality) so I would recommend strong time management (don't waste time on hard questions/ration your time for each section)
Interview Reflection I got things wrong but I think I was meant to and I think I responded well to my mistakes. Got the classic x^x differentiation question. Probably demonstrated a better understanding of maths more than most people (Explained things with equations rather than words etc.) My interviews didn't contain much discussion and were mostly calculations, graph stuff, maths and explaining things.
Interview Advice: Be open and say basically everything that comes to mind. Practice helps but only for being familiar with the setting of an interview.
Why did you chose your college?: Shortlisted initially because it had nice accommodation and was next to chemistry but then I visited it on an open day and it was really nice. Liked the combination of oldish neoclassical stuff but also new stuff (its a bit hard to explain lol)
Where else did you apply?
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?: Durham. Funny story, I was going pick Imperial but they gave a technically higher offer (same grades but specific subjects) so it's going to be Durham instead.

General Comments & Advice: Be relaxed (do as I say not as I do) and do your best. You will probably be fine wherever you go/whatever you do. As said by others, UMS and grades etc can be outweighed (within reason) by being genuinely interested and excited about you subject
(edited 7 years ago)
Decision: Accepted from Pool, after re-interview

Course: Mathematics
College: Robinson (originally Trinity)
Offer Conditions: A*A*A + 1,1 in STEP II & III
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): UCAS Track update (letter from the college 4 days later)

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar
GCSE Grades: 6 A*, 2 A, 3 B and 1 C
AS Subjects & Grades: 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: Grades & Test at Interview
Weaknesses: Personal Statement & Nervousness during the interview
Interview Assessment: Standard maths questions where I made many simple mistakes due to the high pressure environment
Why did you chose your college? I was applying for maths therefore Trinity
Where else did you apply? Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Cardiff
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick
(edited 7 years ago)
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: Archaeology
College: Initially applied to John's, but was pooled by Jesus
Offer Conditions: 41 at IB with 7,7,6 in HL subjects
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): 16th of January by e-mail, the letter came 4 days later

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Netherlands but live in the UAE)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private (non-profit)
GCSE Grades: 5A*s and 5As
IB (with predicted score): HL: Biology, 7; English Literature, 7; Geography, 7; SL: Maths, 5; French, 6; Chemistry, 6; EE+TOK: 3 points

Strengths: Personal Statement, Interview
Weaknesses: Written assessment at interview (I personally don't think they were my best essays...)
Interview Assessment: I think it went pretty well. The biggest thing I took from it was simply how much fun I had! The questions weren't too difficult, just thought-provoking.
Why did you choose your college? I initially applied to John's for its music scene being an enthusiast myself.
Where else did you apply? UCL, Edinburgh and Durham (UK), also Leiden (NL)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? On UCAS it currently stands at UCL, but Universiteit Leiden is the real insurance choice.
(edited 7 years ago)

Course: MML (French and ab initio Portuguese)
College: Trinity Hall
Offer Conditions: A*AA in any order in French, History and Mathematics
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Opened my email in my French class on the 12th - almost cried :'D

School Type State Sixth Form College
GCSE Grades: 5 x A*, 7 x A, 1 x Level 2 Distinction
AS Subjects & Grades: French (A), Mathematics (A), History (A), Sociology (A)
A2 Predictions: French (A*), Mathematics (A*), History (A), EPQ (A)

Reflection
Strengths: UMS, Interview
Weaknesses: Personal Statement, Admissions test
Interview Assessment: I thought it was quite average. I was surprised by how little we discussed my personal statement and that the majority of the discussion was on new material.
Why did you chose your college? I liked the MML department fellows there
Where else did you apply? Southampton, Leeds, UCL, King's College London
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Southampton

General Comments & Advice:
Apply - even if you think you stand little chance like I did, it may surprise you how far you get if you're passionate in your subject. Also, read widely around your subjects, especially if it's something you'll be starting from scratch (like an ab initio language or something like archaeology) - it'll help you decide if you could handle doing it for three or four years and it'll impress interviewers by going above and beyond your curriculum.

Course: Human, Social, and Political Sciences
College: Selwyn
Offer Conditions: Unconditional, applied with actual grades after gap year
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email on Tuesday, 12th January, 3:14 pm IST

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): International (India)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
GCSE Grades: 6A* + 2A
AS Subjects & Grades: Mathematics (A), Physics (A), Geography (A), Economics (A), English Language (A)
A2 Grades: Mathematics (A*), Geography (A*), Physics (A)

Reflection
Strengths: Content with how my interview went, confident about my UCAS Statement, utilized my gap year efficiently (managed an NGO I founded in 2014), decent Admissions Test, and was in the top 3 in my high school batch.
Weaknesses: Got 2A* + 1A in my A Levels. Certainly could've done much better.
Interview Assessment: I had 3 interviews. I'm quite happy with how they went.
Where else did you apply?
Accepted at King's College London and University of Warwick. Withdrew my LSE and St Andrews applications after receiving the Cambridge unconditional offer. I had also applied to plenty in the US (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, JHU, Northwestern, etc.) but have withdrawn most of my applications. I've only left Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UPenn, and Cornell.
Reply 148

Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
College: St Catharine's

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State (The Bewdley School)
GCSE Grades: 8 A*s, 2 As, 1 B, 1 C
AS Subjects & Grades: A Biology, A Chemistry, A Maths, A Physics
A2 Predictions: A* Biology, A* Chemistry, A* Maths, and A* in Extended Project (I dropped Physics after AS)

Where else did you apply? University of Bristol, University of Birmingham, University of Edinburgh, University of Warwick
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? University of Warwick for Mbio in Biomedical Sciences
Reply 149

Course: Natural Sciences Physical
College: Pembroke

Optional
GCSE Grades: 9 A*s, 3As
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths/Further Maths, AA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*A*
Other Qualifications
Other:
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: Engineering
College: Murray Edwards (applied to Pembroke)
Offer Conditions: A*A*A (A*s in Further Maths and Physics, A in Maths)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email

Optional
GCSE Grades: 6A*s , 3As, 3Bs
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: I think I must have done well in the admissions assessment
Weaknesses: Panicking in interview
Interview Assessment: First interview was hellish, second was really fun and I think I did really well in the second so it made up for the first.
Why did you chose your college? Proximity to Engineering department, beautiful gardens and library, friendly atmosphere
Where else did you apply? Southampton, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Southampton
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight?
Decision: Rejected

Course: Natural Sciences (Physical)
College: Downing
Offer Conditions:
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter, 12th Jan

Optional
GCSE Grades: 3A*, 8As, 1B (with extenuating circumstances, predicted & should have got 7A* 5A)
AS Subjects & Grades: A -maths (100, 98, 94 ums), A - further maths (95, 91, 80), A - chemistry, A - physics
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Academic profile, personal statement
Weaknesses: Interview, admissions assessment
Interview Assessment: I thought they personally went okay, but I suppose I'd never had any practice interviews before so I wasn't exactly sure. I came out of them quite happy with how I'd performed.
Why did you chose your college? Visited it on the open day, liked it the most - loved the accommodation and the general atmosphere I got when I looked around.
Where else did you apply? Durham, Bath, Lancaster, York
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Durham - Trevelyan college

General Comments & Advice: I'm glad I went through the process and that I got an interview. I'm really pleased with myself for managing to cope anxiety-wise with it all, but now looking back on it even if I would have gotten an offer, I don't think I would have accepted it as I prefer the course and social aspects at Durham. Still bummed I didn't get an offer though.

Any official feedback received from your college:
Finally received this today, so have been waiting to post this.
They thought my academic profile was very good so far, and were impressed with my predicted grades.
My admissions assessment had very mixed reviews, in one part I was in the bottom 30% in a section (it went appallingly) and the other half I was in the top 30%.
My interviews weren't great. I needed a lot of prompting and didn't finish the whole interview (which is a real shame for the physics one, as I knew the exact question we were about to go on to and practised it the day before, literally so mad.) I thought they went okay personally, and I got an above average score, which was kind of close to the successful applicants score.
They also put in my feedback that only 5 were accepted out of the initial 64 that got to interview, so I had a 7.8% chance of getting in, and I regret applying to Downing and I should have chosen a college that had less applicants for natsci (though you may say it doesn't make a difference, if university wide the acceptance rate is approx 20%, there must have been some much more lenient colleges somewhere :/ ).
Original post by baznoy

(which is a real shame for the physics one, as I knew the exact question we were about to go on to and practised it the day before, literally so mad.)

How did you know what question you were going to be asked...?
Original post by liziepie
How did you know what question you were going to be asked...?

The questions I was asked lead up to it, and I saw somewhere in this thread, someone else who did the same interview as me was asked it too. I had do draw the graph x^x and then usually the lead on from that is to differentiate.
Reply 154
What super curricular stuff had you done on top of this? Also what AS and A Levels did you take?
Reply 155
Original post by mbmcd
What super curricular stuff had you done on top of this? Also what AS and A Levels did you take?

Most posters have included that info in this thread :smile:

You can also join the 2018 Applicants thread to chat with the next round of applicants:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165
The Official Cambridge Applicants 2018 Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronnie S
Decision: Rejected

Course: Mathematics (with Physics)
College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: N/A
How did you first hear and when? Email at 9:01

Other: Rejected without being even put in the pool. I do 6 A-Levels including Further Mathematics (Additional) and am predicted straight A*s in all so I have no idea why they didn't even pool me. My interviewer was absolutely abysmal though and was totally intent on catching me out.

I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected. But how was your personal statement and UMS?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by esrever
I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected. But how was your personal statement and UMS?

Sounds like the interview was the main problem - not UMS. And the PS is not important for Maths...

Latest

Trending

Trending