Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have been living in a ten bedroom house since September and it's been nothing but terrible.

So far we still haven't got internet in any of the bedrooms, we're students so obviously this is quite important, only one of the washing machine works, the tumble dryer no longer works, there's no outside lights and we're not in a very safe area so it's dangerous for us to be standing outside trying to find keys, the carpets are loose and dangerous, some of the lights don't work, the only heating is in the bedrooms and kitchen, so the rest of the house is freezing and the front door isn't fitted with draft excluders so it's always cold.

We just have no idea what to do anymore or who we can complain to. We've sent countless emails to the landlord and agencies, I sent one over the Christmas period giving a list of the jobs that needed doing and that I wanted them done before we returned. Come back and of course nothing has been done and they haven't even emailed to say why. My dad came up to talk to them two days ago, he phoned up the landlord saying he wasn't happy and he wanted to talk to him but he still hasn't replied.

We just have no idea what we can do. This has been ongoing for three months and although obviously necessary services like water work it's just annoying that we are paying for things that aren't there. Is there anything we can do/ anyone we can complain to?

ReputationRep:
    Ask your uni's FreeLaw organisation, they should be able to help you. Failing that you'll need to hire a solicitor to take your case.
    • Very Important Poster

All your options are here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ont_do_repairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellai17)
    So I have been living in a ten bedroom house since September and it's been nothing but terrible.

So far we still haven't got internet in any of the bedrooms, we're students so obviously this is quite important, only one of the washing machine works, the tumble dryer no longer works, there's no outside lights and we're not in a very safe area so it's dangerous for us to be standing outside trying to find keys, the carpets are loose and dangerous, some of the lights don't work, the only heating is in the bedrooms and kitchen, so the rest of the house is freezing and the front door isn't fitted with draft excluders so it's always cold.

We just have no idea what to do anymore or who we can complain to. We've sent countless emails to the landlord and agencies, I sent one over the Christmas period giving a list of the jobs that needed doing and that I wanted them done before we returned. Come back and of course nothing has been done and they haven't even emailed to say why. My dad came up to talk to them two days ago, he phoned up the landlord saying he wasn't happy and he wanted to talk to him but he still hasn't replied.

We just have no idea what we can do. This has been ongoing for three months and although obviously necessary services like water work it's just annoying that we are paying for things that aren't there. Is there anything we can do/ anyone we can complain to?
    internet is usually up to the tenants to sort out unless its included in the rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    All your options are here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ont_do_repairs
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    internet is usually up to the tenants to sort out unless its included in the rent.
    Yep it is included in the rent

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.