Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So if butanone has a main peak at 72 and a small one at 73 was high resolution mass spec used to find this?
    Is there a peak at 73 because of the hydroxy group and what carbon it's located on (second)?

Finally, why do some ions have m/z values that form but the signal is too small to be seen? Im not really sure what this means but i just guessed and put that the isotope is unstable and has a low abundance?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The peak @ 73 will be the m+1 peak (http://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysis/masspec/mplus1.html)

Tiny peaks are due to unstable molecules or fragments.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    So if butanone has a main peak at 73 and a small one at 72 was high resolution mass spec used to find this?
    Is there a peak at 73 because of the hydroxy group and what carbon it's located on (second)?

Finally, why do some ions have m/z values that form but the signal is too small to be seen? Im not really sure what this means but i just guessed and put that the isotope is unstable and has a low abundance?

Thanks
    Butanone has a molecular ion at m/z = 72
    This should be a strong peak.
    Anything above this must be due to isotopes of carbon or hydrogen, either of which will produce a very small signal.

I'm not happy about the data given in this question.

EDIT:

Maybe proton capture MS was used for the spectrum, in which case the m/z of the strongest signal will be 73

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Butanone has a molecular ion at m/z = 72
    This should be a strong peak.
    Anything above this must be due to isotopes of carbon or hydrogen, either of which will produce a very small signal.

I'm not happy about the data given in this question.

EDIT:

Maybe proton capture MS was used for the spectrum, in which case the m/z of the strongest signal will be 73
    I dont think it would be that as its not covered on the spec. What about infrared spec?

NOTE: So sorry, must have been a typo. Youre right - the question says the main peak is at 72. Does that mean its caused by isotopes of carbon and hydrogen (why not oxygen)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    The peak @ 73 will be the m+1 peak (http://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysis/masspec/mplus1.html)

Tiny peaks are due to unstable molecules or fragments.
    Thanks but what confuses me is that it says its left out of the A level spec yet they ask it as a question

ReputationRep:
    Are these right?

1. Given the m/z(204, 206, 207 and 208) and relative intensity of lead.
    Species responsible for peak at m/z 208? i put Pb 208?
    Ion which reaches the detector the fastest? - i put Pb 204 (lowest m/z)

2. Mass spec of butanone has a main peak at m/z 72 and small peak at m/z 73
    Also tiny peaks at m/z 74, 75 etc. Why do some ions with these m/z values form but their signals may be too small to be seen? - i put the isotope is unstable and has a low abundance.

3. mass spec of CH3Cl has 2 main peaks (50 and 52)
    predict the relative intensity of these 2 signals - i guessed 35 and 37 (i dont know what it means by relative intensity). The first part asks why the 2 peaks form so i said that chlorine has 2 isotopes. But i feel like im repeating myself if i put that for this question too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Are these right?

1. Given the m/z(204, 206, 207 and 208) and relative intensity of lead.
    Species responsible for peak at m/z 208? i put Pb 208?
    Ion which reaches the detector the fastest? - i put Pb 204 (lowest m/z)

1. Don't forget that only positive ions are detected: 208Pb+

2. Mass spec of butanone has a main peak at m/z 72 and small peak at m/z 73
    Also tiny peaks at m/z 74, 75 etc. Why do some ions with these m/z values form but their signals may be too small to be seen? - i put the isotope is unstable and has a low abundance.
    2. The presence of isotopes such as 13C and 2H.

However both are in low abundance (about 1%)

3. mass spec of CH3Cl has 2 main peaks (50 and 52)
    predict the relative intensity of these 2 signals - i guessed 35 and 37 (i dont know what it means by relative intensity). The first part asks why the 2 peaks form so i said that chlorine has 2 isotopes. But i feel like im repeating myself if i put that for this question too.
    The relative intensity will be equal to the relative abundance of the chlorine atoms, i.e. about 3:1

ReputationRep:

The relative intensity will be equal to the relative abundance of the chlorine atoms, i.e. about 3:1

Thank you

How do i find this out? Are you talking about:

35CI - 35CI
    37CI - 37CI
    35CI - 37CI
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

How do i find this out? Are you talking about:

35CI - 35CI
    37CI - 37CI
    35CI - 37CI
    No, I am talking about the relative abundance of chlorine atoms in nature, which is about three 35Cl atoms for every 37Cl atom.

ReputationRep:
    No, I am talking about the relative abundance of chlorine atoms in nature, which is about three 35Cl atoms for every 37Cl atom.
    Ah ok

This is a different question but is it right?

250cm3 of water added to 50cm3 of 0.2moldm-3 HNO3

Is the new concentration
    0.2 x 0.05 = 0.01 moles
    0.01 / 0.3 = 0.033 moldm-3 ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok

This is a different question but is it right?

250cm3 of water added to 50cm3 of 0.2moldm-3 HNO3

Is the new concentration
    0.2 x 0.05 = 0.01 moles
    0.01 / 0.3 = 0.33 moldm-3 ?
    One thing that you should always do is ask yourself "is this answer reasonable?"

Do you think that it is reasonable to add water to an acid solution and make it more concentrated?

ReputationRep:
    One thing that you should always do is ask yourself "is this answer reasonable?"

Do you think that it is reasonable to add water to an acid solution and make it more concentrated?
    Im sorry ive done it again (typo)

My answer is 0.033...moldm-3
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry ive done it again (typo)

My answer is 0.033...moldm-3
    now you're talkin'

ReputationRep:
    now you're talkin'
    I take it that's right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I take it that's right?
    :borat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.