The Student Room Group

A-Level Requirements for studying Medicine

What would you say are the best A-Level Choices for studying Medicine?

I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology but I can't help but feel that maths isn't the right path for me.....I'm not very confident in it. My teachers have said that most uni's will want maths for Medicine but I'm just not sure.
Original post by Naina_T
What would you say are the best A-Level Choices for studying Medicine?

I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology but I can't help but feel that maths isn't the right path for me.....I'm not very confident in it. My teachers have said that most uni's will want maths for Medicine but I'm just not sure.

All med schools require Chemistry, and most unis require 2 sciences at A2 (i.e. physics, biology, chemistry and maths).

So you could take Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
Well, the requirements for Oxford are Chemistry and one other science, whether that be Physics, Maths or Biology.
However, UCL states that 'Chemistry and Biology must be studied at A-level' so, I think Chemistry and Biology would be the best choice as some Universities require Biology and all of them require Chemistry, so it opens your options.
Most applicants have 3 sciences, so maths, chem, bio and physics - but it isn't a requirement. I know many people who aim to study medicine and their 3rd option is something they are good at/enjoy, considering the entry requirements are so high. English Literature, History, Psychology and Economics are frequent choices I see among my friends who take Chemistry and Biology as well.
Cambridge states 'although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower' so perhaps it would put you at an advantage to do 3 sciences, but it isn't necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by rosie.mn
Well, the requirements for Oxford are Chemistry and one other science, whether that be Physics, Maths or Biology.
However, UCL states that 'Chemistry and Biology must be studied at A-level' so, I think Chemistry and Biology would be the best choice as some Universities require Biology and all of them require Chemistry, so it opens your options.
Most applicants have 3 sciences, so maths, chem, bio and physics - but it isn't a requirement. I know many people who aim to study medicine and their 3rd option is something they are good at/enjoy, considering the entry requirements are so high. English Literature, History, Psychology and Economics are frequent choices I see among my friends who take Chemistry and Biology as well.
Cambridge states 'although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower' so perhaps it would put you at an advantage to do 3 sciences, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just a little worried because the 6th form director at school has said that most unis would choose a student with Chem, Bio and Maths,
espesically because of how competitive medicine is right now.
Original post by Naina_T
Thanks for the advice. I'm just a little worried because the 6th form director at school has said that most unis would choose a student with Chem, Bio and Maths,

If you're good at maths, take it because it could put you at an advantage but realistically speaking there are many other things that go into a medicine application. If your predicted grades are A*A*A*, your PS is amazing, you did well in the entry test an interview and did plenty of extra circular stuff like work experience in a hospital, you should be fine if you don't want to study maths. Look for universities that aren't that picky too.
Cambridge is probably the only uni (that I'm aware of) requires maths for medicine.

Don't do maths if you're not confident with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Cambridge is probably the only uni (that I'm aware of) requires maths for medicine.

Incorrect. Not even Cambridge does.

OP - If you take biology, chemistry and one other subject that is fine for all universities except Cambridge, who are you only university to state a preference for a third science (not maths specifically).
Original post by Naina_T

He's wrong. Medicine is an evidence based field - do research, don't go on hearsay!

Quick Reply

Latest