Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do i become one in laymans term. What university courses do i have to do. Also would i have to do any external exams.

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 123Original123)
    How do i become one in laymans term. What university courses do i have to do. Also would i have to do any external exams.
    Hey there! You'd have to have take a course that gives you stage 1 training to become a counsellor, and this is usually offered on all undergraduate courses that offer a BSc Psychology and Counselling degree (make sure to check they are accredited by BPS and BACP). I am currently a 3rd year Psychology and Counselling student at Staffordshire University.

To actually practice counselling however you would need to do a MSc or Post grad Diploma in Counselling or Therapeutic Practice. This is different from a MSc in Counselling Psychology, as this is about the research side of things and how psychology can improve counselling, compared to the actual practice. If you have any queries, I would either contact a university directly that offers a counselling course, or check out the BACP (British Associate for Counselling and Psychotherapy).

Lots of info there, I do apologise, but I hope this helped ☺️

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.