Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been stung by a bee or wasp? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever been stung by a bee or wasp?
    Never been stung by either
    32.76%
    Been stung by both
    25.86%
    Only been stung by a wasp
    29.31%
    Only been stung by a bee
    12.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    People seem quite shocked that I'm 24 and I've never been stung by either

I'm quite surprised too since I usually run around like an idiot, screaming and crying when I see one :teehee:

So have you been stung? How bad was it?

A wasp landed on my eyelid a few years ago and I thought it was just a fly and blinked to get rid of it. It wasn't until I saw the look of horror on my friend's face and then they told it was a wasp :eek: Don't know how I managed to avoid getting stung that time
    I've been stung quite a few times by bees wasps and other nasty little critters and it hurts like a ***** have you been stung or bitten by anything in your life?

ReputationRep:
    when I was like 9 I got stung on my finger and it really hurt, I was with my grandad at the time. He then took my finger up to his mouth and sucked quite hard

At first I was like wtf is he doing but the pain went down about 70%

he must of sucked the poison/sting right out of there.

no idea where he learned to do that...

ReputationRep:
    I think I've been stung by both

sux

ReputationRep:
    I was ducking about around some plants and got stung multiple times. Wasn't as bad as I'd expected. What hurt was when I stumbled and fell onto the plants. They had thorns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I've been stung by neither, but I've been bit by plenty of ants.
    I've been bitten or stung by:
    Wasp's
    Bee's
    Mozzies
    The tiny black things that look like this .
    A kind of big bee that had black and grey stripes that one has a slow burn
    Ants
    a spider
    and hores flys

ReputationRep:
    I got stung by some form of hornet when I was in Africa, I didn't see it, people guessed it was an Oriental hornet or a Greater Banded Hornet maybe
    Anyway I suffered a severe reaction to it and went into anaphylactic shock
    I got stung in the hand, at first I didn't feel much, I was swimming and then when my hand left the water, I sort of felt something hit it, I looked and saw the puncture wound
    So I swam to shore, and slowly my hand was kind of tensing and becoming a bit numb, then all of a sudden, in the car on the way back to where we were staying, it felt like someone hand impaled my wrist with a red-hot poker and was shoving it up my arm lengthways. Like, I can't describe how much it hurt.
    When we got to our little house people carried me in cause I went delirious, there weren't any hospitals for miles and miles in any direction because we were in the middle of nowhere
    My dad's a doctor, he brought a box of strong prescription meds along with him just in case something happened so I got pumped full of those, I was barely conscious for maybe 2-3 days, I can't really remember, apparently thick red lines were spreading from my wrist up my arm towards my chest, and I was struggling to breathe and my parents were scared as hell
    Eventually the meds did their thing and the lines receded and I kind of slowly regained full consciousness, however my hand was completely full of pus which was crushing nerve endings down the back of my hand, which hurt like a b*tch so I got a needle and pricked the puncture wound back open to get it out. Took a few weeks for the swelling to go down completely and there's now a patch my my smallest knuckle on my left hand where I can barely feel anything cos the nerves got damaged.

Anyway yeah they said if it stung me in the neck or torso I'd have died, for sure which is scary cause I was swimming, and therefore shirtless, and my head and neck were out the water. 😳

ReputationRep:
    I got stung by a wasp when I was working at camp in America last year, felt like being burnt and jabbed with a needle at the same time. Nothing a cold compress and cream couldn't solve out but it stung like mad for a while.

ReputationRep:
    I once saw a wasp floating in a swimming pool, still alive but struggling about so I put it out of it's misery by splashing loads of water on it.

Then it stopped moving and appeared to be dead so I went to drown it with my foot but as soon as my foot touched it, I felt a crazy sting and it hurt like hell. made my foot go numb for half an hour... It turns out that wasps can actually sting you after they die, and the "post-mortem" sting is the most powerful one they got.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I've been stung quite a few times by bees wasps and other nasty little critters and it hurts like a ***** have you been stung or bitten by anything in your life?
    I've had flea bites and been stung by nettles but that's about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I've had flea bites and been stung by nettles but that's about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    never had fleas but nettles suck

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been stung by either in quite a number of years now, thankfully!

I remember once on holiday I got stung by...something. No idea what. Right on my eyelid. Literally swollen up so big I couldn't see with it for a good few days, so awkward.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope, although I'd hate to as I'm allergic to honey and pollen so I'm a bit scared tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I've been stung by both within the last two years.

The bee one was bad. I was always told as a kid that wasps are nasty and you need to watch them but bees are all right. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. May be that applies to bumble bees only because I walked right past a hive in short and tee shirt thinking unless you open it or wack it with a stick they won't care. I was very wrong. I got attacked by a swarm and must have been stung 10 times.

The wasp one was the classic mistake. I thought it was a fly so swatted it against my own face.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Have any of your pets ever been stung? I'm surprised none of my cats have because I've seen them pawing at bees while they are on the windowsill :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.