Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently debating on which experience would benefit me more during the summer holiday. As a part of a social mobility organisation, they currently offer "spring weeks" exclusive to its members during the summer holiday with Deloitte, KPMG etc (bare in mind there is very limited space and requires the same application process). I was thinking whether this would be more beneficial for my CV or should I try to get a summer internship with a start up instead? I am trying to apply for strategy consulting (MBB and Big 4 etc) for summer internship next year (& some IBD application) so which options should I chose? Both of them also coincide with each other and it really is in between picking one of them instead of the other.

ReputationRep:
    not all start ups are made equal

big 4 is not big name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasteman shoes)
    not all start ups are made equal

big 4 is not big name
    When I say startups in this case, I mean the ones that are currently in its development stage i.e. 1 year or less

Sorry the title was meant to say Big 4 Spring week instead of Big name spring week

Any advice on this particular situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acecahill39)
    When I say startups in this case, I mean the ones that are currently in its development stage i.e. 1 year or less

Sorry the title was meant to say Big 4 Spring week instead of Big name spring week

Any advice on this particular situation?
    (unless u study comp sci) how much value do u think u could add to a start up?

£0, £minimum wage, £london living wage,...,£n

there is ur problem mate

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly, they don't do consulting for Big 4 for their SW. So it isn't what you want, then don't bother. Because the fast-track to summer intern process will not allow you to jump to another division.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    If I remember correctly, they don't do consulting for Big 4 for their SW. So it isn't what you want, then don't bother. Because the fast-track to summer intern process will not allow you to jump to another division.
    Unfortunately they scrapped all the consultancy based spring week for the Big 4 (except KPMG where its a general spring week). Strangely enough, this exclusive "spring week" offered as a part of a social mobility organisation is a general spring week (covers all division) and has a opportunity for fast track to summer intern (but I am not too sure if that also include strategy consulting)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasteman shoes)
    (unless u study comp sci) how much value do u think u could add to a start up?

£0, £minimum wage, £london living wage,...,£n

there is ur problem mate
    I can only add value in terms of business development, sales & marketing from my previous experiences. Again for these startup internship, it is offered as a paid internship (the ones that I found) but I am also willing to find unpaid internship (mainly interested in experience and thats it really)

ReputationRep:
    big4 name

ReputationRep:
    I am currently debating on which experience would benefit me more during the summer holiday. As a part of a social mobility organisation, they currently offer "spring weeks" exclusive to its members during the summer holiday with Deloitte, KPMG etc (bare in mind there is very limited space and requires the same application process). I was thinking whether this would be more beneficial for my CV or should I try to get a summer internship with a start up instead? I am trying to apply for strategy consulting (MBB and Big 4 etc) for summer internship next year (& some IBD application) so which options should I chose? Both of them also coincide with each other and it really is in between picking one of them instead of the other.
    Startup Internship. It will be for a longer duration and will give you the best exposure to learning about business (you mentioned going for strategy consulting). You will be able to talk in-depth about this experience later on in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    big4 name
    Why would this be better than a startup internship in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Why would this be better than a startup internship in your opinion?
    brand names easily recognizable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    brand names easily recognizable
    Would still take up startup gig. You will be doing real work there and the exposure you will get will be so valuable, especially when it comes to talking in depth about your experiences later on in interview stages.

SW at Big4, I think you will be attending presentations, and sitting on the desks of various departments for a few hours. Startup, they will utilise you where needed; one moment it will be product management, then in sales. You will get a solid overview of how business works here. Also, getting hired into start-ups is incredibly tough, they are incredibly picky on who they take on board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bankingHQ)
    You will get a solid overview of how business works here. Also, getting hired into start-ups is incredibly tough, they are incredibly picky on who they take on board.
    This is generally a very good point. In terms of getting hired into a start up, one reason why I said this is doable for me is because of the fact that I have a slight reputation with start ups on my CV (Presidents of Entrepreneurs Society, arranged talks with big name start ups and companies like Tesla etc, created a pre-accelerator programme)

So the debate is essentially do I want a recognisable name on my CV or solid experiences on how businesses work which I am quite uncertain of in both cases
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is generally a very good point. In terms of getting hired into a start up, one reason why I said this is doable for me is because of the fact that I have a slight reputation with start ups on my CV (Presidents of Entrepreneurs Society, arranged talks with big name start ups and companies like Tesla etc, created a pre-accelerator programme)

So the debate is essentially do I want a recognisable name on my CV or solid experiences on how businesses work which I am quite uncertain of in both cases
    latter. Big4 summer week doesn't really compare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Start-up internship mate. Big4 name on your CV is not going to make u stand out. At this age you have a lot of time/opportunities to explore different careers. You have put your self in a good position to get this start-up opportunity from what you have been doing at uni to this point. If you skip it, you may not get a similar opportunity like it again. Whereas the Big4 experience can easily be made up for with insight days/spring weeks at Banks/Big 4/Asset Management.

ReputationRep:
    Wait. I don't get it. So do you got the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mischeivous)
    Wait. I don't get it. So do you got the job?
    I got the summer internship with a start up but have yet to apply for those spring week.

I will keep this offer up till now and see how my current SW applications goes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.