The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Is Liverpool Hope "ghastly"?

My son is considering this uni. I asked people on a Ballet forum I use if anyone had any knowledge of it. A man contacted me. He said about two years ago he spent a full day in there, working with both students and their lecturers. He said the students were really lovely. He said the university was ghastly, clearly failing and not worthy to be called a university. Some members of staff were not only completely uninterested, they were downright rude. He said the organisation was a shambles and out of all the members of staff he worked with that day only one woman, who seemed to be the most junior member of staff showed any sort of interest in what she was doing. He said it was fairly evident that day that every other lecturer he met were just killing time until they collected their pensions. He didn't tell me which academic department he was in, but said it wasn't Health and Social Care. He strongly advised my son to apply to Man Met instead. My son will be doing Health and Social Care, if he's allowed into the second year with a HND, that is. Can anyone who knows this university tell me honestly what it is like to study there and what the standard is like? Many thanks.
There's a reason they call it Liverpool No Hope.
Liverpool
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Len Goodman
There's a reason they call it Liverpool No Hope.

Really? OMG. I asked a random girl on F/Book who I saw studied there. She said she was really shocked to hear what that man had said. She said all the members of staff she has met have been so caring and supportive. She said because it is so small all the students call the lecturers by their first names and all the members of staff are really committed to their work. Can I ask why it is known as Liverpool No Hope?
It doesn't really matter if he wants to do health and social care
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Moon Man
It doesn't really matter if he wants to do health and social care

He's really interested in every area of the subject. Would love to teach it in a FE college one day.
Original post by markova21
He's really interested in every area of the subject. Would love to teach it in a FE college one day.

I meant that it doesn't really matter where he goes if that's what he wants to study
Original post by Mr Moon Man
I meant that it doesn't really matter where he goes if that's what he wants to study

it might be the case that the name of the institution won't bear on employment prospects. Still no-one would want to go to a "clearly failing“ institution at which the teachers were only time-serving.
Original post by markova21
Really? OMG. I asked a random girl on F/Book who I saw studied there. She said she was really shocked to hear what that man had said. She said all the members of staff she has met have been so caring and supportive. She said because it is so small all the students call the lecturers by their first names and all the members of staff are really committed to their work. Can I ask why it is known as Liverpool No Hope?

Due to the general lack of job opportunities after graduation and the run-down, depressive feel of the university itself. If your son will be doing health and social care then the first point won't matter so much, though it would be far better to study at a university with better facilities and a more lively atmosphere than Hope.
Reply 8
Original post by Len Goodman
Due to the general lack of job opportunities after graduation and the run-down, depressive feel of the university itself. If your son will be doing health and social care then the first point won't matter so much, though it would be far better to study at a university with better facilities and a more lively atmosphere than Hope.

Thanks, Len.
Reply 9
Sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone on here been to Liverpool Hope and can you tell me honestly what it is like? Thanks.
I love Hope. I wouldn't have picked anywhere else. I am actually shocked that someone would come in and find it awful. The staff are incredibly supportive of their students and, certainly in my department, they try to get to know you on a 1-to-1 basis so that they can communicate with you easily and understand people. It's really sad to see that opinion has been put across. I wouldn't travel 300 miles to Uni if I didn't enjoy it.
If you want any other information please tell me, although I can't say much for the Health and Social Care course, as I'm not studying there, but it's such a pretty campus and feels really inclusive, so I would recommend it. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by urmusicalbuddie1
I love Hope. I wouldn't have picked anywhere else. I am actually shocked that someone would come in and find it awful. The staff are incredibly supportive of their students and, certainly in my department, they try to get to know you on a 1-to-1 basis so that they can communicate with you easily and understand people. It's really sad to see that opinion has been put across. I wouldn't travel 300 miles to Uni if I didn't enjoy it.
If you want any other information please tell me, although I can't say much for the Health and Social Care course, as I'm not studying there, but it's such a pretty campus and feels really inclusive, so I would recommend it. :smile:

Thank you for replying.
For a "run down" and "clearly failing" university it's doing pretty well when you consider it moved above john Moore's and Edge Hill in the University League Tables. Personally I think its a great uni but the best option for your son is to go and visit it himself and have a look, speak to the staff ect. It depends on what he wants eg does he like small class sizes and knowing lecturers first name basis or would be prefer huge classes of 100+ students? Personally I think its very good and is really improving all the time. As I said, in the university rankings its 4th best in North West, above john moores and edge hill , so far from "failing"
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in responding to this! It's a shame to hear those comments about someone's visit. He may class us as a "failing University" but our rising league table positions and overall student satisfaction score tell a different story. We've just risen 25 places in the latest league table, making us the 4th best University in the North West (out of 12 Universities): https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/top-5-universities-in-the-north-west-2018/ and we are actually second in the UK for overall student satisfaction: http://www.hope.ac.uk/news/newsitems/liverpoolhopesoarsintimesgooduniversityguidetable.html

As other posters have said, the best thing would be to come and visit our beautiful campus for yourself and chat to our students and staff to see what you think. In the meantime we have lots of videos on our Facebook and YouTube page that can give you some idea of what life at Hope is really like.

Hope that helps you a little bit - if you need anything else just let us know :smile:

Amy
Reply 14
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in responding to this! It's a shame to hear those comments about someone's visit. He may class us as a "failing University" but our rising league table positions and overall student satisfaction score tell a different story. We've just risen 25 places in the latest league table, making us the 4th best University in the North West (out of 12 Universities): https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/top-5-universities-in-the-north-west-2018/ and we are actually second in the UK for overall student satisfaction: http://www.hope.ac.uk/news/newsitems/liverpoolhopesoarsintimesgooduniversityguidetable.html

As other posters have said, the best thing would be to come and visit our beautiful campus for yourself and chat to our students and staff to see what you think. In the meantime we have lots of videos on our Facebook and YouTube page that can give you some idea of what life at Hope is really like.

Hope that helps you a little bit - if you need anything else just let us know :smile:

Amy

Thank you Amy.
Reply 15
Original post by Nohope2017
Completely agree with everything said here and there are so many many more reasons why you should avoid this university. Not in any way worth the amount of debt you will find yourself in, both financially and academically. Avoid at all costs. Terribly run university with under qualified, biased and unprofessional tutors. Liverpool is a fantastic city and there are other great unis (John Moore's, uni of, and edge hill) which are definitely worth looking into. Hope university is a business and I am determined to cut off the supply line. A decent looking university and campus says NOTHING about quality of teaching and learning.

Genuine question have you actually been there? From your comment I would greatly doubt it. I find your comments insulting, naive not to mention wrong. The academic staff at Liverpool Hope are the most amazing people. People who come alongside students, to help them believe and achieve. People who teach exceptionally well but also pastorally genuinely care. In 9 days I will be graduating from Hope with a First Class Hons. Which is significantly down to the lecturers and support staff at Hope. I came to Hope after getting 4 grades lower than the minimum entry requirements. Now I've been accepted on to a PhD course at the university of Manchester. That is not just as a consequence of my hard work, but the academics and support staffs hard work and attitude towards their students. Please in future find sufficient evidence to support your claims before placing a derogatory unjust accusation on anyone, it's really insulting and hurtful. #ProudToBeHope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending