Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I change my mind and do computer science even if I am aiming for medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 12 student currently studying Bio, Chem, Maths, Computer Science.
    I've always liked computers and programming. However, I've also had a great interest in biology, people and I've always wanted to help others in life. I've being doing a lot of medical work experience and I find it quite enjoyable. I've started looking at some medical interview questions as well. But in my mind there's that nagging voice telling me I would be better off sitting in front of a computer and programming than work long hours in a hospital.
    My question is, will I be able to prepare fully for the medical interview/UKCAT while still having the chance to get into a reputable university for Computer Science? Will I have to do extra work experience for computer science? Will my chosen A levels still allow me to get into a good university for computer science?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what i ask myself

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, but im going by the words at a talk for dentistry where the speaker said his daughter started with wanting to do medicine but after getting in changed to politics so i'd assume you could

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can change lol. No one is forcing you to do anything, and the last thing you want to 'accidentally' end up doing when you don't want to is ****ing med school.

Work experience is not generally expected for computer science (or any subject outside medicine/vet med/dentistry) as i understand it, though if you want to arrange some to see what kinds of careers there are then by all means do so.

Medicine does not have the monopoly on helping people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.