Turn on thread page Beta

I am 20 still not had a job because of Social Anxiety watch

Hi i need serious help!

My mum keeps telling me get a job!! i dont know what to say and i actually need to get one . But i cant work in public places like restaurants where everyone is watching me . What can i do?

Do u know of any jobs where no one can see me. I cant work when people see me i get thoughts like your doing something wrong your stupid and i get nervous aswell.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Depends, what are your qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi i need serious help!

My mum keeps telling me get a job!! i dont know what to say and i actually need to get one . But i cant work in public places like restaurants where everyone is watching me . What can i do?

Do u know of any jobs where no one can see me. I cant work when people see me i get thoughts like your doing something wrong your stupid and i get nervous aswell.
    Are you not taking anti anxiolytics ? You could work in a call centre or in a warehouse, stacking shelves. You need to address this anxiety or else your life will be very curtailed.

ReputationRep:
    Are you having professional help for your anxiety?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Volunteer, go to your local library and see what activities there are on.

Remember you are there to provide a service, be kind, polite, friendly, smile, easygoing.

Do these and this will help increase your confidence.

ReputationRep:
    The only way to control your anxiety is to face it. I have anxiety too and my first job was HORRIBLE but it helped me learn how to cope with my anxiety on a day to day basis. You can do something like a call center or stacking shelves or a warehouse but you're really limiting your options and may not find those any better - you should face your fears and try a public facing role.

ReputationRep:
    just work as a KP then, or in a factory

I am a university student

I have GCSE and BTEC qualifications thats it

(Original post by Muserock)
    Are you having professional help for your anxiety?
    No i dont know who do i go to for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No i dont know who do i go to for this?
    Go to your GP. If they are unhelpful, see another one. I had a referral for CBT with a psychologist and it really helped. Once your major anxiety is under control, the best way to confront your fears is sticking them out. Anxiety is essentially an over-reaction of fear towards a situation. If you can stick with a situation rather than 'running away' from it, you can train yourself to realise that there's not actually anything to fear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.