Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on how to pass and what's it like?

ReputationRep:
    Just don't make any other car change speed bcos of you. That is an instant fail. There is no rush trust me, its better to wait and drag the test out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty2993)
    Any advice on how to pass and what's it like?
    Right so, as a young man who passed the driving test for the very first time in one of the most difficult test centres in London - I have the following tips to give to you:

1) Take a shower & Dress well. Yes, seriously, take a shower and dress well. It will definitely make you feel better and more confident. Remember, you are going to be sitting in a car for around 40 minutes and you will be accompanied by your examiner and potentially your driving instructor. The last thing you all want is for your B.O to stink up the car and in turn make you lose your confidence.

2) Be polite. First impressions go a very long way. The way you greet your examiner and converse with them can go some way. Of course, this doesn't mean flirting with them or giving them money. They can't just pass you for being too polite. I guess, to me this concept can be an important part to the test as it demonstrates that you are courteous of others and not necessarily an angry driver per se.

3) Be confident. Be confident from the minute the examiner asks you to read a cars' number plate from 25m or so. Driving in reality does require a good level of confidence as driving can be a luxurious activity with fatal consequences. The instructor wants to be able to sit in your calm knowing that YOU are confident in your actions and that YOU are able to take them from Point A to Point B without making any major errors. Such confidence can be applied to in a lot of lifes situation. For example, when you board a plane - you too want to know that you will land safely at your chosen destination without any hassle or injury. Likewise, the instructor on your test wants to know that they can get to their chosen destination without any trouble or hassle.

4) DO NOT LET MISTAKES GET THE BETTER OFF YOU! Yes, this can happen to us all, including myself. I remember on my driving test I was driving down a normal side residential street and upon the blind bend - a car from the other end was darting down 40 mph. I braked quite hard, as I did not anticipate the driver from the opposite end to come down some fast. The speed limit on that road was 30 mph and I stuck by it - but the mistake I made was to brake a bit too late and not too early on. This mistake was not recorded after all as it wasn't really my fault. Another mistake I made was to stall at a major roundabout. That was a minor fault. I guess what I am trying to say here is that you can't let mistakes get the better off you! You got to fight and drive till the very end. The test is not over until you get to the test centre. Those mistakes that you made may have not even been recorded.

5) Do NOT observe what the examiner is doing on the test. Yes, it can be very tempting to see what the examiner is writing on their notepads. However, you have got to focus your full attention on the road and your driving AND ONLY THE ROAD AND YOUR DRIVING. Just because the examiner is writing something on their notepad DOES not mean that you have committed a minor or major error. They maybe filling out the paperwork on your test report card or even your Pass Certificate - for all you know.

Good luck with the test.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.