Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can EU migrants claim benefits in this country after 6 months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently had some unwelcome family from the EU come and stay around at my place for the festive period.

During their time here, they seemed to be more interested in how to claim benefits and live the lifestyle here. It became apparent to me that they wanted to move here and when I confronted them about this - they did admit that they wanted to move here in a couple of years time. They said that they had friends from their country move here about 8 months ago and all of them are living in a house within West London - all paid by the tax payer. If that wasn't enough they were also claiming benefits after 6 months with those benefits being back dated 6 months back. I told my EU family that it is very difficult to claim benefits and get a free taxpayers house in London - but they simply smiled and said that I didn't know my British London roots well - which I took as a huge insult!

I did tell them that it is because of selfish people like them that the majority of this nation voted for Brexit.

Now is all of this about claiming benefits true? If so, why have the government allowed this to happen?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you talking about benefits like it's a gift from God? The UK benefits system is too low for the most part most people claiming benefits live a life of poverty , I always feel sorry for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeTamoul)
    Why are you talking about benefits like it's a gift from God? The UK benefits system is too low for the most part most people claiming benefits live a life of poverty , I always feel sorry for them.
    Feel sorry for who exactly? You do realise that a lot of EU migrants move here to claim benefits and that the benefit system is being exploited?

On top of that, quite a handful do "cash-in-hand" work on top of claiming benefits - meaning that they don't have to pay a dime towards tax. What about people like myself who have to go to work everyday and pay a percentage of our wages to the taxpayer?

I do, of course feel sorry for people who are disabled and unable to work - but come on mate, to feel sorry for people who are able to work BUT SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO? Now that is a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    Feel sorry for who exactly? You do realise that a lot of EU migrants move here to claim benefits and that the benefit system is being exploited?

On top of that, quite a handful do "cash-in-hand" work on top of claiming benefits - meaning that they don't have to pay a dime towards tax. What about people like myself who have to go to work everyday and pay a percentage of our wages to the taxpayer?

I do, of course feel sorry for people who are disabled and unable to work - but come on mate, to feel sorry for people who are able to work? Now that is a joke
    This is a very cruel generalisation my family moved to this country 6 years ago and everyone in my family is working. Nobody have claimed a penny of benefits.The same can be said for many of my friends/relatives, you need to stop listening to the TV man most people claiming benefits are desperate people who are in very bad situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeTamoul)
    This is a very cruel generalisation my family moved to this country 6 years ago and everyone in my family is working. Nobody have claimed a penny of benefits.The same can be said for many of my friends/relatives, you need to stop listening to the TV man most people claiming benefits are desperate people who are in very bad situation.
    Fair enough, I have to admit what I said about most EU migrants claiming benefits - I may have overstepped a line. However, a lot of the ones that I personally know of seem to be claiming benefits AS THEY SIMPLY CANNOT BE BOTHERED TO WORK. Respect to you and your fam for working, I haven't claimed a dime either and work.

However, there does seem to be a huge loophope in the benefits system and a handful of people (including non-EU) seem to be exploiting parts of it. Recently I went to drop someone off at the PIP Assessment Centre and there was a couple waiting in line to be seen by an advisor. The bloke had a stick, a hand cast and what not and I waited with the person who I had dropped until he was seen by another advisor. When my passenger went to his interview, I decided to go the local Starbucks to get some coffee. About 30 minutes, I saw the same couple from that assessment centre walk in and literally saw the guy drink coffee without a cast. He seemed more able and was able to walk to the toilet and what not - yet at the assessment centre he looked more ill

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.