Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    what was everyone's first experience driving like? i'm planning on getting lessons soon but today i went to an empty car park with my dad to learn the basics and i feel it went quite well. didn't stall at all he said my clutch control was pretty good but the car park wasn't really big enough for me to practice with the accelerator much. i did some reversing and attempted to park and stuff whilst driving super slow so i think i'm gonna try again with him one more time and then book some lessons? just curious how everyone else was when they first started driving, also any other things i could practice before lessons?

ReputationRep:
    My first time driving was dead. I had such high expectations but it ended up with me being taught the basics for half an hour and driving as fast as a bicycle rider does for the next half.

However....a few weeks on and it was my driving instructor telling me to be easy on the gas as I hit up speeds of 40 mph on 30mph roads. Best feeling ever!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that's what they call progress . Congrats dude !

ReputationRep:
    I'll always remember my first lesson. It was a two hour one. My instructor picked me up and drove me to a quiet area, he was only like 30 and I could tell we were going to get along because he seemed like a laugh. He showed me around the inside of the car for a bit, then I drove around the block for about an hour, only stalled when it came to braking where I was getting into the habit of putting the clutch down to stop! I quickly got used to it and had no trouble driving at a good speed, so on the way home he asked me how I'd feel about going down a 60mph carriageway, sounded good to me so we went down it and he told me not to look at my speedo and just drive at what I though was 60mph - I ended up going at 67 :rofl: So I broke the speed limit on my first lesson. Got home and was feeling very positive about the whole thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverfox44)
    what was everyone's first experience driving like? i'm planning on getting lessons soon but today i went to an empty car park with my dad to learn the basics and i feel it went quite well. didn't stall at all he said my clutch control was pretty good but the car park wasn't really big enough for me to practice with the accelerator much. i did some reversing and attempted to park and stuff whilst driving super slow so i think i'm gonna try again with him one more time and then book some lessons? just curious how everyone else was when they first started driving, also any other things i could practice before lessons?
    hehehe! I'm currently learning how to drive and I think that its great. My steering is great, my breaking not so much.... its getting better though. I love driving though. I forgot about my clutch at one point though. I am only 3 lessons in though.
    One piece of advice that I'd give to anyone which is what my instructor told me was "don't try too hard. trying too hard can make anyone feel bad if they fail"
    The best thing that has helped me is to read the highway code and make imaginary markers in the car e.g. when stopping at a junction line up the give way lines underneath your side view mirror.
    I love driving, it's really fun!
    I hope this advice helps even though I'm also learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I'll always remember my first lesson. It was a two hour one. My instructor picked me up and drove me to a quiet area, he was only like 30 and I could tell we were going to get along because he seemed like a laugh. He showed me around the inside of the car for a bit, then I drove around the block for about an hour, only stalled when it came to braking where I was getting into the habit of putting the clutch down to stop! I quickly got used to it and had no trouble driving at a good speed, so on the way home he asked me how I'd feel about going down a 60mph carriageway, sounded good to me so we went down it and he told me not to look at my speedo and just drive at what I though was 60mph - I ended up going at 67 :rofl: So I broke the speed limit on my first lesson. Got home and was feeling very positive about the whole thing
    Is it normal for the driving instructor to drive me to the quiet area there and back?
    How good were you on your first lesson e.g. clutch control, steering? Because my instructor is saying that it's all good but I have heard people driving home on their first lesson. The drive is usually 25mins there and 25 mins back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenGerbil)
    Is it normal for the driving instructor to drive me to the quiet area there and back?
    How good were you on your first lesson e.g. clutch control, steering? Because my instructor is saying that it's all good but I have heard people driving home on their first lesson. The drive is usually 25mins there and 25 mins back.
    I drove home on my first lesson, but it was like a 5-10 minute drive from my house. I'm sure if it was a 25 minute drive then my instructor might have thought it was a bit heavy going, might have been loads of roundabouts and stuff. There were a couple of roundabouts on my route home but I hadn't done roundabouts yet, so my instructor took the pedals and told me where to steer and indicate when we got to the roundabouts :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.